Thoughts on BMW X5 50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Audios
If its the N63, run. Google N63 client care package and the issues theyre still having after the fix. The diesels can have very expensive problems, I turned down a repair and sent him to the dealer for possible goodwill on a 2012 x5d. They covered a $4500 initial repair as a one time gesture due to the issues starting the the injection, and carbon buildup. Its possible he will need a fuel tank repalcement due to metal shards, and then clear or replace the fuel lines and low side pump and filter.

True.

Originally Posted by MCompact
I stick with I4 and I6 BMWs- although I'd be hard pressed to turn down an E39 M5...

True.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
200k? You're dreaming.

I have a customer with a '12 X5 diesel, and it's a pile. She takes great care of it and it's still junk. It's only got 85k on it, and she's actively trying to get rid of the thing.

True

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by 14Accent
200k? You're dreaming.

I have a customer with a '12 X5 diesel, and it's a pile. She takes great care of it and it's still junk. It's only got 85k on it, and she's actively trying to get rid of the thing.

M57 engine sin X5 are probably some of the best engines ever made. I had two. One in 525 E61 that made around 325k and still was able to do 145mph (this car was in Europe). Another was US based X5 35d. Engine is not an issue (it is among soccer moms who think it is a fridge). It is SCR system that is first generation and plagues all vehicles equipped with that system (VW/Audi, MB, GM, Ford, etc. ). There is no BMW unique SCR system except that BMW did not want to cheat like Audi in Q7, so BMW installed two tanks in order to properly eliminates NoX, which add bit more complexity due to pump between two tanks. Audi for example went with one tank,s maller, so they could fit Bang&Olufsen hardware and since that tank was not enough for full 10k between fill up, they decided to cheat.

I agree.

Originally Posted by BISCUT
It's a boatload of money for sure....but this engine really has me intrigued. What's the thoughts on this engine long term like 200k? Being a BMW with all the bells and whistles I'm sure the true fear should be the electronics of the vehicle but as most car guys it's the engine/trans that gets the focus.

I always wanted a diesel

Do not go with E70 5.0i period! F15 with N63TU is much better from reliability stand point (not dynamic stand point).

I agree. The only comment I have is that it's not 5.0i but 50i (5.0 denotes engine displacement and for example in some ford engines 5.0 indeed means 5L engine, However in x5 50i case engine is 4.4L and is not denoted as 5.0i or 4.4i but rather it's marked as 50i)

Originally Posted by Chris142
The engine may be OK. The rest of the car will be its demise.

My X5 35d hold much better than my Land Cruiser, so do pleas explain us. I am all ears.
It is ten light years in build quality over ANYTHING Toyota will ever make or made.
I am not going even to mention atrocities as JEEP or Ford.

Ok now that's not true, you are exaggerating here, so I won't elaborate.

Originally Posted by CBR.worm
BMW has a bad reputation with V8 engines at least as far back as 2010. They are awesome to drive, but unlike the I6 engines, the long-term reliability has not been good. Not just a single failure, multitudes of failure points. It's hard to tell if the current iteration would last forever, but previous years data indicates that it would not be a good gamble.

I personally know of at least 4 people who had their V8 engines replaced with less than 30K on them in the last 6 years. I know of one person who made it to 80K, leaving a trail of oil smoke behind him. These were all 7 series except for one X6 x50i

True.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Any car will last as long as the owner is willing to maintain it. As a BMW fanboy for over 20 years I can only say to avoid this V8 because of the extensive plumbing around the twin turbos, tight engine bay (engine must be removed to conduct front end work on the timing chain), and general maintenance costs. A BMW technician once told me that the V8's keep the service dept busy.

Only partially true. It's not the piping around turbos that is an issue. It's mainly bad rings, valves and rods that bent easily (sometimes even so slightly) leading to scorched cylinder walls leading to even more oil consumption and need to replace engine.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
Every time I buy a new or low mileage car or truck I think of how it will be at 200,000 miles. I get tired of them at about 100,000 miles or much less and someone else gets to benefit from my OCI maintenance. As far as a BMW I really don't know much about them.

true. Majority of people (probably close to 99%) will not keep their cars till 200k miles and will sell them long before.

So who is Eisen77, coming to drop knowledge in a nearly year old post about a specific BMW?

12 posts in 22 minutes, you're on a roll.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
So who is Eisen77, coming to drop knowledge on a nearly year old post about a specific BMW?

102posts in 22 minutes, you're on a roll.

Does it really matter? People will read posts about x5 50i with v8 engine F15 generation more and more - as they are starting to appear on market after G05 generation release. hence I'm dropping knowledge that i learned with my own F15 and numerous engine rebuilds. Just wanted to separate truth from myth and often even lies in this thread. Some people just like to talk about things they never had based on rumors. I'm only talking about x5 50i and facts that i know.
Cheers

Originally Posted by Eisen77
So who is Eisen77, coming to drop knowledge on a nearly year old post about a specific BMW?

Does it really matter? People will read posts about x5 50i with v8 engine F15 generation more and more - as they are starting to appear on market after G05 generation release. hence I'm dropping knowledge that i learned with my own F15 and numerous engine rebuilds. Just wanted to separate truth from myth and often even lies in this thread. Some people just like to talk about things they never had based on rumors. I'm only talking about x5 50i and facts that i know.
Cheers

Well, count us honored and blessed to be among someone of your expertise and experience.

Are you planning on sticking around to drop concrete, unarguable knowledge on any other year old threads? Since we find ourselves in need.

Cheers

Well, count us honored and blessed to be among someone of your expertise and experience.

Are you planning on sticking around to drop concrete, unarguable knowledge on any other year old threads? Since we find ourselves in need.

Another reincarnation I suspect.

So who is Eisen77, coming to drop knowledge in a nearly year old post about a specific BMW?

True.

Cheers

Not sure yet, I don't go to forums often. But you alone make just a single person, don't forget there are thousands that read these threads and as I said f15 generation x5 50i is a one topic that is getting popular nowadays so it won't be unnoticed. Also, as i said I'm not going to touch other threads except the ones I have direct experience to talk about: this one and Nissan one.
One more thing, let's keep from useless posts like that - it's not giving any useful info to readers besides some salty users who got hurt by the fact that I posted on 1 year old thread. Once again, it's not your forum or thread, if I feel like there is info that needs to be delivered to users I'll post it.

Last edited:

have nothing else to do than count posts? You have 6853 of them and you are counting my 12 posts?!

"One more thing, let's keep from useless posts like that - it's not giving any useful info to readers besides some salty users who got hurt by the fact that I posted on 1 year old thread. Once again, it's not your forum or thread, if I feel like there is info that needs to be delivered to users I'll post it. "

So far you have posted no info at all.

Cheers

Not sure yet, I don't go to forums often. But you alone make just a single person, don't forget there are thousands that read these threads and as I said f15 generation x5 50i is a one topic that is getting popular nowadays so it won't be unnoticed. Also, as i said I'm not going to touch other threads except the ones I have direct experience to talk about: this one and Nissan one.
One more thing, let's keep from useless posts like that - it's not giving any useful info to readers besides some salty users who got hurt by the fact that I posted on 1 year old thread. Once again, it's not your forum or thread, if I feel like there is info that needs to be delivered to users I'll post it.

So why did you find then appropriate to pitch into Land Cruiser? Do you own LC diesel?

welcome2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back