Cuts on tire sidewall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed 2 cuts on a tire in my Elantra. These are the factory Kumho Solus' w/around 19k.

Do you guys think I need to replace it? It holds air fine; no odd noises or funny business.
[Linked Image]

Yes replace, hopefully it's a rear tire. You can see an indent right below the bigger gash. Prob bring it to DTD if you have one close by. You can send a pm to "CapriRacer" since he's our resident tire expert(retired tire engineer).

edit: you can always have get a Douglas tire at WM and move it to the rear if you don't want new tires yet.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but that doesn't look good. looks like the cords are cut. I have been known to run some pretty crappy tires, but that would worry me.

Probably fine unless you hit a bump or something on that spot again then its much more likely to pop.

If it were mine, I would replace it. Actually, I would replace the pair on the axle...

My rationale: it's deep, and the uneven shape of the carcase adjacent to the lager cut makes me suspect belt damage.

If CapriRacer weighs in, I would absolutely follow his advice, as he KNOWS tires...

Originally Posted by atikovi
If it was mine, I'd leave it. If it forms a bubble or spreads, then replace it. Small cuts don't bother me.

I'm so glad you don't work with me. These types of cuts aren't worth someone's life. At my work we replace tires that look like the OP's.

Aside from the obvious; you have NO idea how deep into the tire this cut is.

Last edited:
Just replaced a Firestone tire on the Focus after she hit a palette and cut the sidewall, flat in seconds. Very similar and the sidewalk isn't very thick. If it's on the back maybe but not on anything she drives. Road hazard?

Originally Posted by Eric Smith
Just replaced a Firestone tire on the Focus after she hit a palette and cut the sidewall, flat in seconds. Very similar and the sidewalk isn't very thick. If it's on the back maybe but not on anything she drives. Road hazard?

Good point. Sidewall has least amount of "meat" or material compared to threaded area.

The indentation is likely a broken belt. Some of it depends on your driving situation. If you drive around college 35mph or less might be ok but on highway doing 70+ mph probably best to change it.

I'd replace, hard to tell how deep it is. Looks like a bit of polyester cord sticking out. Imagine in blowing out right when you are in the apex of a hard corner.

Those cuts look pretty much inline with the indent near the bottom, that would worry me. I would run it on my own vehicle because my route to work is all back rural roads, but I would never let that go on the girlfriend's car.

That looks pretty bad. I would heavily lean towards replacing it. Definitely if you do a lot of high speed driving.

Maybe you can find a similar used tire? Cheaper than new and much safer than that. Check Ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back