Should I run an AC Delco Ultraguard gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Circa 2000?

I drive my truck around 1000mi/yr, maybe less. Did last oil change around 2000 miles back in 2016 or 17. Going to do one today.

Have a bunch of filters, but still have a stash of these from long ago. Thoughts?

Going to use GTX Magnatec since the truck sits so much.

9770F058-3D4B-4EE8-9124-5994FE3BF682.jpeg

975D12F4-5B82-4BBB-AA97-305143B766FE.jpeg

1D8C58F3-B2B2-4BD7-A317-637A87B523E8.jpeg

1E69F3FA-2016-415E-8AD3-3E6C236FD787.jpeg

815BD0B0-2F58-4D61-A7B7-BC1E408BE4FA.jpeg

FB2E046F-DCF3-44E8-BCAF-B810F4E9C6C8.jpeg

Views will be mixed.
However, traveling only 1K miles per year and those filters were a great synthetic media product. And although they're old, I'd say use'em up.

Last edited:
+1 Use them up. How many filters do you have left?

I would be temped to open up an unused filter and post the pics here if you have more than 2 filters.

Last edited:
Yes, I'd use them. Too bad they weren't wrapped in plastic then the bottom would prob look better. Be on the lookout for any weird noises esp on start up. If anything like that happens I'd switch it out immediately. Going forward even an ST filter from Walmart will be fine.

What oil is in the truck now? Magnatec is very good.

Excellent filter.
Yes, employ them.
If you can until use, keep them stored in a conditioned, low humidity and temp controlled environment.

First time I've seen a silicone seal and a nitrite rubber (black) antibackflow valve.

I would cut one open and check in the internals for deterioration. rubber, filter element, etc.

These are the older ACD Ultraguard Gold and they use synthetic media. They are better than the current UPF Gold filters and with any kind of decent storage environment they should be fine. Run em.

As I read the date code, made January of 03. Excellent filters. Only odd thing about them, they use/d nitrile adbv. But no biggie.

Don't know if this is when you purchased them but a google search of topic shows your 03 post about UPF filters.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/314438/AC_Delco_Ultraguard_Gold_UPF-5

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
I wonder who made these filters?
Then as now, afaik Champ Labs. Date code format and print they still use today.

That's very high efficiency, single pass at 8-10 microns. Must be the best ever. It's easier to understand single pass I think than multi. Essentially it become 100% at 8-10 very quickly. The one big inlet hole identifies it as Champ Labs.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
That's very high efficiency, single pass at 8-10 microns. Must be the best ever. It's easier to understand single pass I think than multi. Essentially it become 100% at 8-10 very quickly. The one big inlet hole identifies it as Champ Labs.

The multi-pass test is basically a continuous single past test repeated over and over since they use a particle counter bith up stream and down stream to monitor instantaneous efficiency across the filter. So at any given time during the multi-pass efficiency test they can essentially get "snap-shot" data of the single pass efficiency through the media.

The advantage of the multi-pass test is that it also measures holding capacity and defines the delta-p curve as the filter loads up, and also gives data that shows if the filter's efficiency changes with loading. It's a more valuable test compared to a single pass test.

When someome advertisers a single pass efficiency It's most likely at a test point shortly after the test starts, ie, the efficiency of a new unloaded filter. As seen, loading of oil filters with debris does not necessarily mean they get more efficient, because increased delra-p can cause trapped particles to dislodge and decrease down stream efficiency.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Yes, I'd use them. Too bad they weren't wrapped in plastic then the bottom would prob look better. Be on the lookout for any weird noises esp on start up. If anything like that happens I'd switch it out immediately. Going forward even an ST filter from Walmart will be fine.

What oil is in the truck now? Magnatec is very good.

Agree 100%. Made Jnuary 2003. Use with confidence
smile.gif

Magnatec is indeed a good, serviceable oil also

Originally Posted by JC1
I would be temped to open up an unused filter and post the pics here if you have more than 2 filters.

Yes especially if the stock is more than will be used. At 1000 miles a year, a single synthetic filter could go 5 years in total so long as rust isn't an issue.

I have a case of PH8A-sized Ultraguard golds that I still use. I bought a couple dozen of them in 2014 from a RA closeout. I cut one open at that time and the filter looked good throughout. The media is 100% synthetic and didn't look like it would be affected by age at all. I did a C&P of an unused one, but sadly the image links are broken after all this time. The thread is here if you want to read the comments about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back