Fleetguard WF2074 Coolant Filter Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a coolant filter mount and it came with a new Fleetguard WF2074 filter. Unfortunately, it has DCA4 additive for a 36 gallon cooling system so I can't use it. I've always wondered what these looked like inside, so here it is cut open.

[Linked Image]

It's a paper element that seems to be stained by whatever the additive is inside. The additive seeped out.
[Linked Image]

Coil spring.
[Linked Image]

I removed the bottom plug in the element, and the center of the filter is packed full of additive.
[Linked Image]

All the additive dumped out.
[Linked Image]

Not sure if this is a date code, would be interesting to know how long this filter has been sitting around.
[Linked Image]

I didn't expect to see that much additive inside the filter. If someone installed this filter on a typical 3 to 4 gallon cooling system I have a feeling it wouldn't end well.

342nd day of 2012-I think that filter got wet, usually the DCA/SCA additive is in tablet form (it is in the ones I've used), I use the DCA2 additive (same as NAPA Kool) in my 7.3 IDI F-450 in my sig, usually either 4 units (WF2051 or equivalent) or a blank filter, depending on what the test strip tells me I need. 12 units is a tremendous amount!

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
342nd day of 2012-I think that filter got wet, usually the DCA/SCA additive is in tablet form (it is in the ones I've used), I use the DCA2 additive (same as NAPA Kool) in my 7.3 IDI F-450 in my sig, usually either 4 units (WF2051 or equivalent) or a blank filter, depending on what the test strip tells me I need. 12 units is a tremendous amount!

Well the age explains it. I have no idea where or how this filter was stored, and a lot can happen in 7 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back