Test drove a few trucks. Ram Pentstar V6?

Originally Posted by hal26
I have owned 2 Hemi Ram V8's and 2 Jeep Wranglers with the 3.6 Pentastar. I have to say the 3.6 is a weak motor that is stressed just pushing around a 4000 pound Jeep. I don't care what it says on paper, this thing is always revving and shifting up and down. I'm sure it is a tough LITTLE motor but why not run with the big dogs and get the 5.7 V8 hemi for a few hundred dollars more? I'm getting 18MPG overall.

The v6 moves a 5,000lb Durango easily enough to get a mid-7s 0-60.. Or my 4,000lb 300 which I never have to exceed ~2,000~2,500rpm when accelerating if I didn't want too... or a 4,000lb Grand Caravan. All without crazy revving and shifting
21.gif

Last edited:
Looks like GM is giving a lot of money off the 2020 Silverado. Custom 4x4 crew cab 4.3L V6 6 speed autos advertised in the 29k range. You'd have more torque than the 3.6 on the Ram but less fuel economy. However the 6 speed auto and 4.3L engine are super durable. Starting with a new body style in either the Ram or GM will likely hold better resale in the future.

I'm sure it is a tough LITTLE motor but why not run with the big dogs and get the 5.7 V8 hemi for a few hundred dollars more? I'm getting 18MPG overall.

And that is supposed to be something to brag about? When I had my '16 Ram V6 it averaged 25 mpg and could get near 30 at a steady 60 mph.

The Pentastar is a great engine.. It's used in so many applications that parts are incredibly cheap and easy to come by, and anyone can work on them. Not many trucks out there will get better fuel economy than the 3.6L / ZF 8 speed combo. You're probably not going to find a better truck for the money, the V6 Rams are a great value.

Absolutely a great truck and powertrain combo. I've been shopping around a bit, and was very surprised with the v6 and 8 speed combo.

Originally Posted by dja4260
Originally Posted by nickaluch
The V6 will work just fine for you just don't test drive one with the hemi because you won't purchase one with the V6.

I have zero desire for the bigger power options. I'm simple, I only require power windows, cruise control, and keyless entry. If I had an option, I'd opt for the steel, plain wheels. I'm simple.

I would tow 10-12 times per boating season, and drive it to work 1.8 miles away, 205 days a year.

I prefer the smaller Frontier but the cost is the same. It's not the better value....

The V6 and 8-speed ZF will be great for towing a small boat.

People tend to forget that 10-12 years ago full size V8 trucks were making the same power and using 4-6 speed automatics.

For example my 2008 Z71 5.3L is rated at 315hp and uses a 4L60 4-speed automatic.

A new ram 1500 with the 3.6L makes 305hp and has an 8speed auto. I'm sure the 5.3L makes a bit more torque, but the V6 with the 8-speed probably puts more torque to the ground due to shorter ratios and better programming.

My point is that the V6 Ram will probably tow as well as a V8 truck from 10-12 years ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by benjy
first off there are NO hemi's for several years, its only advertising. anything with DI ONLY will see carbon issues in the long run + torque which is power at lower rpm rules NOT hp ratings. the 10 spds ARE having issues. having the 4.0 frontier i can vouch for its better torque in its class + its still port injected a plus in my book. lots of options for sure + IMO simple is better in the long run. ALL pickups are OVERPRICED especially 4 WD hence the overloaded crew cabs with 10G off. i wish you luck as MANY of todays vehicles can be LESS than reliable + cost as much as a simple older house in many areas!!! although trucks hold value better the more you spend the more $$$ you loose in the end!!!

confused2.gif

huh?

As mentioned, it is a great PU and engine and transmission combo. It has plenty of power Not being DI is a winner in my book. I have driven them with the hemi and the 3.6, for what you want to do the 3.6 will be fine.

I've located a few 2019 Ram 1500 classics, 4x4, V6, with under 20k miles for $22k-23k, which is the SAME price as a slightly used Frontier.

If the first owner being Enterprise or Hertz doesn't bother you... that would be a great deal.

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Pentstar V6 and 8 speed automatic and its been a great vehicle so far with 55,000 miles. Those Pentstar's don't seem to use any oil at all and are very quiet running engines.

I have owned 2 Hemi Ram V8's and 2 Jeep Wranglers with the 3.6 Pentastar. I have to say the 3.6 is a weak motor that is stressed just pushing around a 4000 pound Jeep. I don't care what it says on paper, this thing is always revving and shifting up and down. I'm sure it is a tough LITTLE motor but why not run with the big dogs and get the 5.7 V8 hemi for a few hundred dollars more? I'm getting 18MPG overall.

The 3.6L isn't stressed at all, it just makes it's power higher up in the RPM range. It doesn't have the low end torque like the V8.

3,000 pounds (if that is the total weight of the load and the trailer) is nothing for that truck, maybe you'll lose a few red light challenges from other cars, but it will easily get the job done.

My wife and I talked more today. Looks like possibly during the summer we would make it happen. The link above is exactly what I'd be looking for.

Truck for sale

Truck 2 for sale

Those are nice finds. 2wd's are not easy to find in my area. Figure on about $3K more for something like those with 4x4.

As I'm sure you've seen, express models offer all the basic amenities and IMO, you'll want the fog lights given the halogen h9/h11 headlamp output isn't great on the Rams, so the fogs help some. SLTs and some Tradesman models with the metal bumpers don't have fogs.

I just turned 48K miles on my 2017 Ram 1500 4x4 quad cab, pentastar and other than the parking brake starting to freeze up on me at each rear wheel, it's been problem free. It's one of the few vehicles I've owned that I would buy again.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Friend just traded in his 2018 RAM … too much time at the dealership between problems, recalls and TSB's … Oh, and MPG/range while towing
He's not the first at our office to switch back to prior brand.
I normally stay out of these things … but if you are buying over that interior, maybe get an SUV …

If you tow any weight at all-if you get 10-12 mpg you are doing well with a gas motor. If you drive over 60ish mph-it will go down to single digits with a boxy travel trailer...with any wind at all.

Towing=mpg-shouldn't even be a consideration. It doesn't matter what motor either, the Hemi, the Silverado 5.3, etc.-it doesn't mater.

Last edited:
Back