Idemitsu ATF TYPE-H PLUS DW-1 For Honda * NEW *

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Sayjac
So, let me understand this. Idemitsu is trusted by Honda to be the maker of DW-1 ATF, but the company cannot be trusted with their assertion that Idemitsu H Plus ATF more than satisfies the requirements of Honda DW-1?
Not sure who in this thread said H+ can't be trusted or used as DW1 replacement?

I think the main point made in this thread and now definitively confirmed by VOAs, it is not identical to DW1. Which if not stated along the way, at least seemingly implied.

So, are you implying that Idemitsu is unethical?

I'm not implying anything other than what I specifically stated as regards H+. You like H+ use it.

I do not use it; I'm just bringing to light what the underlying point of attacking Idemitsu's claim is. H Plus is not identical to DW-1, therefore Idemitsu is????

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RevelationLion
So, let me understand this. Idemitsu is trusted by Honda to be the maker of DW-1 ATF, but the company cannot be trusted with their assertion that Idemitsu H Plus ATF more than satisfies the requirements of Honda DW-1?
Not sure who in this thread said H+ can't be trusted or used as DW1 replacement?

I think the main point made in this thread and now definitively confirmed by VOAs, it is not identical to DW1. Which if not stated along the way, at least seemingly implied.

I would say that it's along the lines of deceptive marketing. Not saying it's a bad atf, just that it's not a suitable alternative to Honda oem dw-1.

Originally Posted by RevelationLion

You are inferring. No one is implying.

Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
I would say that it's along the lines of deceptive marketing. Not saying it's a bad atf, just that it's not a suitable alternative to Honda oem dw-1.

How would you know that?

Originally Posted by kschachn

How would you know that?

I will say that if Idemitsu could explain itself as to how their specific formula works to achieve the same aspects and wear results as DW-1 I would be convinced to use it over Honda OEM.

That's what I want to know how does H+ wear characteristics over time compare to DW-1. I'm not as concerned about whether or not the shift quality if a bit different as long as the product doesn't cause faster wear then the OEM.

How would you know that?

MolaKule has explained the difference between the two fluids. I refuse to believe they are interchangeable fluids. If that's the case why not use generic power steering fluid in place of sp3 or dexron VI.

MolaKule has explained the difference between the two fluids. I refuse to believe they are interchangeable fluids. If that's the case why not use generic power steering fluid in place of sp3 or dexron VI.

Given that, someone should contact Idemitsu , Valvoline, Aisin, and anyone else that produces a fluid they say is "suitable for" those applications and tell them that they are incorrect.. Or, someone should define the difference between "optimal" and "suitable'. One or the other.

Given that, someone should contact Idemitsu , Valvoline, Aisin, and anyone else that produces a fluid they say is "suitable for" those applications and tell them that they are incorrect.. Or, someone should define the difference between "optimal" and "suitable'. One or the other.

These companies say they're compatible and/or acceptable in the applications they specify. Why should they listen to any outside person(s) who dispute this ? If transmissions were blowing up left and right due to the use of their fluids, they wouldn't say they're okay to use. And guess what ? Transmissions aren't blowing up because of their fluid.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

These companies say they're compatible and/or acceptable in the applications they specify. Why should they listen to any outside person(s) who dispute this ? If transmissions were blowing up left and right due to the use of their fluids, they wouldn't say they're okay to use. And guess what ? Transmissions aren't blowing up because of their fluid.

+1
Ive been using Petro-Can synth ATF for a few years now on both my Acuras. Both viscosity indicate " suitable for use" .
I did a 3x D&F at the onset, then one simple D&F once every spring. MDX get the LowVisc, the TL gets the reg visc.
Trans seem quite happy..
Did the same for my son's 08 Civic... got a slight increase in fuel mileage...
[ side note: the same cannot be said when i tried the Castrol MV Asian synth ATF.....my TL trans was screaming with that.. ]
my 2c
J.

Marketing sounds good. However for me, price point would be needed to compare. Significantly less expensive than Honda branded DW1 and readily available to all? As I've had good results using MaxLife div>

AutoZone now carries it on the shelf with other brands of ATF.... If you go to Advance Auto Parts they have to order it and have for you later in the day.

I was shocked to see Idemitsu ATF and Motor Oil at AutoZone at a decent price.

So what do you like in your Acura / Hondas ?

Personally I get peice of mind when I use Original Honda DW-1...
I like Idemitsu b/c with a 5$ speed perk I can get it for 5$ a bottle.... Or If I order if from world pac at work then I only pay 10% above cost... So its only like $5 a Quart...

Originally Posted by David1
Marketing sounds good. However for me, price point would be needed to compare. Significantly less expensive than Honda branded DW1 and readily available to all? As I've had good results using MaxLife div>
AutoZone now carries it on the shelf with other brands of ATF.... If you go to Advance Auto Parts they have to order it and have for you later in the day.

I was shocked to see Idemitsu ATF and Motor Oil at AutoZone at a decent price.
I guess I have a somewhat different definition of "decent". AZ shelf price $7.49/qt. At that price, if negotiated with dealer or searched some I'd think I could get DW1 for same ball park price. Unless of course one just must have or prefers H+ for whatever reason.

As for AAP, price for H+ actually up $2/quart to $9.99 from last year when this thread started. And as noted last year in this post and confirmed, WP pricing not available to the general public. So, last sentence in linked post still applies for me.

A lot of jargon and stuff over my head skimming through this.. What's the consensus on DW1 fluid? I replaced all 9 quarts with Valvoline Maxlife in my 2005 Odyssey over a year ago and I feel like my transmission runs/shifts really well.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
A lot of jargon and stuff over my head skimming through this.. What's the consensus on DW1 fluid? I replaced all 9 quarts with Valvoline Maxlife in my 2005 Odyssey over a year ago and I feel like my transmission runs/shifts really well.

A lot people on the Ody forum recommend Maxlife in their Hondas since DW-1 un[der]performed in the heat; this seems logical and Maxlife is readily available at a great price. My thinking, however, is that since Honda automatic transmissions are similar to manual transmissions, then perhaps Redline D4 / D6 would be the best option given that their ATF is often recommended in manual transmissions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back