Preventative parking brake service

Status
Not open for further replies.
With my rotor off is there any parking brake preventative maint. I should do? I am not replacing any parts of the parking brake. Not are there any problems with it.

A little grease on the pin the shoes contact at the top.

Can brake cleaner be sprayed or some get on brake shoes that will stay in service?

Clean it all up with brake clean. Make sure the star wheels turn easily. I usually put a bit of M77 between the shoes and the backing plates at the contact points so they don't squeak.

I'm assuming you mean the rear brakes. Do you use the parking brake on a regular basis?

I would be cleaning the rear shoes of the parking break with brake cleaner. Give it a chance to dry before you put it back together. Grease on the pins of course.

I put put anti seize on the hub of the rotor so it doesn't rust in place. I also lubricate any exposed parts of the rear cables.

I remove the star, pull it apart, clean it up, lube it inside, and when I put it back on I run it up as much as possible until I can barely get the drum (drum/rotor) back on.

Then when I try the parking brake, it is high and hard.

If the parking brakes are cable operated, every now and then you have to adjust the tension or replace the cable, before it snaps.

Originally Posted by JC1
I'm assuming you mean the rear brakes. Do you use the parking brake on a regular basis?

I would be cleaning the rear shoes of the parking break with brake cleaner. Give it a chance to dry before you put it back together. Grease on the pins of course.

I put put anti seize on the hub of the rotor so it doesn't rust in place. I also lubricate any exposed parts of the rear cables.

It's in my head to use parking brake once a month. But never do.

If I parked on Lombard Street in San Fran I would probably use parking brake more often.

Cleaning and appropriate lubing has been addressed above.

When driving on hilly roads I assume my rotors are warm. I apply my parking brake when halted to dry 'em.

I think it preserves the glue.

Use it regularly
smile.gif

Cleaning and lube. I found what is Most important is to use it. My 02 Jeep still works perfect. What is interesting is the jeep has the pull leaver and I never forget to use it. But the mountaineer has the foot pedal that I always seem to forget to use.

Originally Posted by Donald
Just to make sure, brake cleaner will not harm brake pads/shoes that will continue to be used.

That's right, won't harm pads/shoes. Don't grab the carb cleaner by mistake!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back