2019 Toyota Highlander LOTS of metal flakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by loneryder
That's why I always changed the oil in my new cars at 1k miles or less. I would change it again after 1-2k miles and hope to see a lot less flakes.

This is a good idea.

Some engines fuel economy is speed sensitive. I know that if I get up to over 75 I do see a drop though not as significant as yours. Compare your speed with the instant mpg readout if you have that to verify

Every one of those visible flakes in the pan should have been caught by the filter. And no, that amount of metal is not normal.

If this is a real scenario then take it to the dealer for evaluation under your new car warranty.

Originally Posted by PimTac
That's why I always changed the oil in my new cars at 1k miles or less. I would change it again after 1-2k miles and hope to see a lot less flakes.

This is a good idea.

Some engines fuel economy is speed sensitive. I know that if I get up to over 75 I do see a drop though not as significant as yours. Compare your speed with the instant mpg readout if you have that to verify

Trip 4 and trip 5 were both today. Same tank of gas about an hour apart on the same route. One is right before oil change and the other right after. There is a huge difference. I'll probably call the dealer tomorrow. I still have the oil and filter in the drain pan and it was empty before I drained the Highlander.

20191117_110130.jpg

Originally Posted by Mathew_Boss
2019 Highlander 2GR-FKS 3.5L. At 1600 miles and after terrible fuel efficiency I decided to change the factory fill. I found lots of metal. I have owned 2 new Fords, 1 New Chrysler, and 2 new Mitsubishi vehicles and have never seen Metal in the oil/filter. Is this normal for Toyota? Has anyone had flakes like this on a newer vehicle and didnt have problems down the road?

Do you still own the 2017 Pacifica that you bought two months ago? Are the vehicles in your signature current?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...1/2017-chrysler-pacifica-oil#Post5217681

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
2019 Highlander 2GR-FKS 3.5L. At 1600 miles and after terrible fuel efficiency I decided to change the factory fill. I found lots of metal. I have owned 2 new Fords, 1 New Chrysler, and 2 new Mitsubishi vehicles and have never seen Metal in the oil/filter. Is this normal for Toyota? Has anyone had flakes like this on a newer vehicle and didnt have problems down the road?

Do you still own the 2017 Pacifica that you bought two months ago? Are the vehicles in your signature current?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...1/2017-chrysler-pacifica-oil#Post5217681

No and not accurate. I need to update my sign. Only had the Pacifica 3 weeks.

the DOWNSIDE to thinner oils said to increase mpgs, a LITTLE is their thinner oil film aka thickness in the bearings carry less contaminates before scratching VERY important surfaces + as it thins with age + common DI dilution it gets even THINNER protecting even LESS. many brands like toyota + honda are NOT worth the xtra $$$$ for the reliability they are THOUGHT to have!!

Originally Posted by benjy
the DOWNSIDE to thinner oils said to increase mpgs, a LITTLE is their thinner oil film aka thickness in the bearings carry less contaminates before scratching VERY important surfaces + as it thins with age + common DI dilution it gets even THINNER protecting even LESS. many brands like toyota + honda are NOT worth the xtra $$$$ for the reliability they are THOUGHT to have!!

Hogwash as usual.

I would not be happy seeing that, especially after such a short run. I can only imagine what it would have looked like after running it a full OCI.

Originally Posted by PimTac

This is a good idea.

Trip 4 and trip 5 were both today. Same tank of gas about an hour apart on the same route. One is right before oil change and the other right after. There is a huge difference. I'll probably call the dealer tomorrow. I still have the oil and filter in the drain pan and it was empty before I drained the Highlander.

Could be breaking in with the jump in mpg.

Originally Posted by benjy

Thanks for drinking the kool aid for all of us. I can't believe the lies and garbage you constantly spew and get away with. Another banned member re born
frown.gif

My 2018 Highlander took about 6k before it started getting decent mileage. I never saw under 20 and after about 7500 I was about 23mpg or so. I have about an 18 mile drive (one way) to work mixing between freeway and city. I had the dealer change mine at 5K so I didn't see what it looked like. Ending up trading it in on a 19 4Runner so I don't know how it would have looked if I changed it. I wouldn't be thrilled seeing that by any means. I changed the 4Runner at about 2K and it was clean, no metal.

It's odd that there is visible debris in drained oil when a filter removes particles that are invisible to the human eye.

Could this debris be manufacturing related that settled to a part of the oil pan that means it doesn't ever get suspended in oil and sucked up by the pick up? Thus it only came out with a drain?

I do find the highway mpg odd. Were you or your wife driving on trip 4 and trip 5? Could the wrong gear or mode be selected? If not, that is a concern to get recorded at the dealer. Also, send for an oil analysis.

My 2018 Highlander took about 6k before it started getting decent mileage. I never saw under 20 and after about 7500 I was about 23mpg or so. I have about an 18 mile drive (one way) to work mixing between freeway and city. I had the dealer change mine at 5K so I didn't see what it looked like. Ending up trading it in on a 19 4Runner so I don't know how it would have looked if I changed it. I wouldn't be thrilled seeing that by any means. I changed the 4Runner at about 2K and it was clean, no metal.

I would save a picture of the metal for the dealership. Not normal. I change factory oil in Caravan at 4500 miles and little flake or 2 but nothing like that.

Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
It's odd that there is visible debris in drained oil when a filter removes particles that are invisible to the human eye.

Probably because some of the debris settled at the bottom of the pan and was not in circulation, therefore not being filtered.

I doubt the dealer will do anything except have a chuckle in the back room after you leave. They will likely give the "break in metals" spiel and make it sound completely normal. Nonetheless, it's good to have it documented. They will likely take the wait and see approach and not go any further unless there is some kind of driveability or performance issue (other than MPG). Though it looks excessive, in my experience a camera makes it look much worse in appearance than the naked eye. Hard to draw any conclusions this soon, because it could very well be caused by engine break-in and nothing more. I'd wait a couple OCIs before getting too concerned and just keep a watchful eye on it.

I would do dealer oil changes for few times. Just in case if this continues and you need to deal with warranty stuff. You want to give them as little excuse as possible.

Originally Posted by edyvw
I would do dealer oil changes for few times. Just in case if this continues and you need to deal with warranty stuff. You want to give them as little excuse as possible.

Which is valid if the car in question is under warranty and made before, oh, 1975.

At some point, this nonsense type of advice has to end.

Magnuson-Moss, here's a simple primer:

http://knowhow.napaonline.com/the-m...hat-to-know-about-the-federal-lemon-law/

Originally Posted by kschachn
Every one of those visible flakes in the pan should have been caught by the filter. And no, that amount of metal is not normal.

If this is a real scenario then take it to the dealer for evaluation under your new car warranty.

No, the pick-up tube doesn't suck oil literally from the bottom of the pan in most engines. So there can be debris, flakes, etc., that dwell on the bottom of the pan and are never reintroduced into the oil circuit once deposited.

The first drain should flush that out. I personally would've done a so-called "Patman Flush" (named in honour of long-time BiTOG'er Patman who notoriously did so on his Corvettes) in that instance -- wasted a quart of fresh oil down the filler tube to flush out the oil pan while the drain plug was removed. And then, if the issue continued to recur, become more significantly concerned of a longer-term issue.

Originally Posted by Oro_O
Originally Posted by edyvw

Which is valid if the car in question is under warranty and made before, oh, 1975.

At some point, this nonsense type of advice has to end.

Magnuson-Moss, here's a simple primer:

http://knowhow.napaonline.com/the-m...hat-to-know-about-the-federal-lemon-law/

Everyone always cites MM but all Toyota has to do is say, sorry, oil changes were not warranty approved, warranty claim denied. Now the onus is on the owner to get a lawyer, provide a case and ask for their reasoning/proof and then possibly argue in court if necessary. Process would take a couple years and in the meantime customer still has to pay for the repairs anyway.

If oil changes are all done at dealer or other warranty approved place, none of the above applies.

To me it looks like left over particles from the machining process.
Change out the oil and filter again after 1000 mi and see how it looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back