how important is band 71 on Tmobile

my red pocket 1 year service is over. i liked it a lot ,but the price has gone up snce i bought it last year. my cousin hooked me up on his tmobile account that has unlimited everything for $20 a month. so far its been ok, but i have jsut been using it in the city . gonna test drive it for a couple of month and decide if i will stay on tmible

t mobile is touting its band 71 as the best thing since sliced bread. my phone does not have this band. so how important is this band? one other oddity is he can get over 100mps with his iphone and the max i have ever gotten on my phone was 70 or so.

if band 71 is really important i might get a new phone when black friday come around

Last edited:
If you already have good coverage and speed, it likely won't matter much to you. It will really help in more rural areas or indoors though.

I have T-Mobile and a LG Q7+ that has band 12 and 71. My phone also has T-Mobiles wifi call feature. At work, I get no indoor signal, but I get 5 bars when I step outside. I installed an app that shows the bands and I've seen bands 12 and 66 a few times, but never band 71 where I'm at. The iPhone 11 despite not having 5G has reportedly faster LTE than older iPhones.
This list of villages where band 71 might not be current:

https://www.t-mobile.com/content/da...co/T-Mobile-600-MHz-Cities-and-Towns.pdf

I was going to say I've never seen my phone hit band 71 ( I use google fi but mostly force the phone to tmobile towers)

then I looked at that list and it doesnt show any band 71 in OHIO.. which would mirror my experience.

Its mainly for connectivity in low density rural areas... the lower the frequency the slower it is.. but longer range.

So that 5ghz they are rolling out.. perfect for the football stadium.. band 71 for the middle of nowhere.. and also has better building penetration.

Band 71 has become fairly common in my area. I hardly ever connect to it in good reception locations in urban areas, but it shows up on occasion in brick or concrete buildings as the low 600 MHz frequency penetrates buildings better

It really helps in rural areas. I did a road trip to the Northwest NJ and upstate NY countryside recently and was getting reception in previously dead areas. The Cellmapper and Network Cell info apps indicated that l was connected to 600 MHz band 71. I was getting a good signal from towers 5+ miles away.

It might be important if you live in a rural area where having that band may mean the difference between having reception or no reception. I don't see too much value in urban areas already covered by bands 2,4,12, and 66.

Actually there are two band 71's and neither matters as long as your phone works. Plain old 71 and N71. So maybe better said TMobile Band 71 is used in two ways at this moment.

With that said, the newest band 71 that is the "talk of the town" is band - N71
N71 stands for "new" it is the band Tmobile uses for 5g.
So it is possible to have many phones that use the Band 71 but that is a plain old LTE band without the "N" in it, then there is the new N71 which is 5G and will have the "N71" displaying in the cell source of the device statistics. This is not to discount plain old 71 which still is a newish band of a few years but up and coming N71 right now is the Verizon and ATT killer from TMobile.
TMobile is converting more areas with 5g every week this year then Verizon was able to do all last year combined.

Personally other then "fun" or a hobby you do not need 5g on your phone yet. Maybe in 5 years there will be more use for it. 99.9 % of the phones cannot use 5G N71, Apples first phone is the iPhone 12 released only a few months ago.
Someday everything will be 5g but that is a long way off for a cell phone, HOWEVER N71 is very important to TMobile Home Internet Service which I have and cancelled Spectrum just this month in order to get speeds on our home network at 100+Mbps.

(I may sound like a Tmobile commercial but only have their home internet, I still use ATT through Redpocket for our 3 cell phones but TMobile is leaps and bounds ahead of ATT and Verizon in the 5g market. Actually its startling how they pulled out in front)

Source;
https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/t-mobile-network
Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 6.32.02 AM.png

Last edited:
Old thread, TMobile has rolled out upgrades since. In reality, I don’t see a speed difference doing anything other than downloading a large update. My iPhone Mini.
FF052CC0-1969-49A6-956D-F772DF19F207.png

The text above is in TMobile
Yes, TMobile is the game changer.
ATT and Verizon are in the dust compared to TMobiles roll out.
Verizon made 5g available to 2 million people last year, TMobile is adding 2 million a week!
Not that it matters much at this point in time, but they get bragging rights for sure

Back