Pilenga Rotors - Made in Italy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did not realize that rotors were still being casted in Italy. Italy seems like a very expensive place to be manufacturing commodities. These rotors were only $30-ish each; they are rear rotors for a Mazda 3.

Maybe the box was the only item that was Made in Italy?
lol.gif

13053043-359C-4F54-B97D-2609E3DA0AB4.jpeg

5D24C3BC-6152-4322-83CE-CC80FA03D223.jpeg

EF874E69-2823-45BC-9C4E-8C5E06A3B36F.jpeg

Last edited:
they might be China castings final machined in Italy. Europe has some funny laws that allow this. there was some french made walther pistols that were made in france , but final marking and finishing allowed them to be marked germany

whats the track record, do indie shops use the rotors ? what do they say?
too bad there is not a rating system for car parts - good better best

Last edited:
Is there an E number on the box? THat can give you an idea of where it originally came from. Pilenga is really good quality, but as far as I knew they never came coated so I never bought them unless it was the only option.

The company has an ISO 9001 and also UNI ISO 45001 & 14001 also IATF 16949 so it ought to be on the up & up.
They are manufactured in Bergamo (Lombardy) in he north of italy where there is a long tradition of metalworks. FWIW

I have not used them but they do seem to be worth taking a closer look at. It appears they are 100% made in Italy at the companies own foundry.

https://www.pilenga.it/(S(pivz0kvs1ngy20kmjrumml00))/en/FonderieOfficinePietroPilengaSpa_en.aspx

I don't know about rotors, but every few years it is "discovered" that most Made-in-Italy Olive Oil is a.) not made in Italy and b.) not Olive Oil. Reforms are made, the clock is reset and a few years later it happens again.

Nonetheless, it is a big country with some manufacturing capability.

Originally Posted by HangFire

I don't know about rotors, but every few years it is "discovered" that most Made-in-Italy Olive Oil is a.) not made in Italy and b.) not Olive Oil. Reforms are made, the clock is reset and a few years later it happens again.

Nonetheless, it is a big country with some manufacturing capability.

Olive oil? Come on man, this is a MOTOR oil web site.

Italy manufactures a lot of stuff that we don't see because we are only thinking about automotive aftermarket parts available in the USA. A lot of agricultural machinery (Fiat owns Case-New Holland), pumps, hydraulic components, industrial machinery...

Originally Posted by tom slick
Italy manufactures a lot of stuff that we don't see because we are only thinking about automotive aftermarket parts available in the USA. A lot of agricultural machinery (Fiat owns Case-New Holland), pumps, hydraulic components, industrial machinery...

Guns too.

While reading about Ford's aluminum 4.6 modular engine (installed in swank Mustangs and earlier Lincoln) the Italian factory where the block is made was referred to as the world's largest aluminum fabrication plant.

Originally Posted by Kira
Did the rear brakes wear out before the front ones? My sister's did just that (2012 Mazda3 iTouring).

It is really common on Mazda.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Did the rear brakes wear out before the front ones? My sister's did just that (2012 Mazda3 iTouring).

My employer has a fleet of about 10 late model F150 trucks and the rear disc brakes are needing replacement before the front ones on these trucks.

Originally Posted by Kruse
Originally Posted by bdcardinal

My employer has a fleet of about 10 late model F150 trucks and the rear disc brakes are needing replacement before the front ones on these trucks.

So to expand, the braking systems are setup to engage the rear for a split second before the front. This is similar to a motorcycle where you engage the rear immediately before the front. It keeps the rear end under control as all the weight transfers to the front. Also traction control systems will use the rear to keep the car under control.

Originally Posted by tomcat27
Where did you find them?

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2013/mazda/3/brake/brake_rotor.html?brand=pilenga

Originally Posted by Audios
Is there an E number on the box? THat can give you an idea of where it originally came from. Pilenga is really good quality, but as far as I knew they never came coated so I never bought them unless it was the only option.

Not that I recall, but the boxes are long gone.

Never heard of that company...
As someone mentioned italians before....their quality is like quality of their olive oil... You never know what you gonna get
27.gif

Brembo and their sister brand Bradi also casted rotors in Italy a while ago. I recall installing Italian-made Bradi rotors on my old LS400 as an alternative to Chinese white-box that I liked.

Seems like they do specialize with BMW: https://www.pilenga.it/(S(4nkmqyp1yylbsmswhez32g5n))/en/FonderieOfficinePietroPilengaSpa_en.aspx

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Never heard of that company...
As someone mentioned italians before....their quality is like quality of their olive oil... You never know what you gonna get
27.gif

Not always true at all. Some of the mid-sized or smaller sized business in manufacturing are darn good at making good quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back