which weather site is most accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i usually look on weather .com and accuweather and also the stock windows one. its always interesting how much they differs sometimes in the foreast for the same area . So what weather site have you found to be accurate?

Weather.gov They pretty much make all the forecasts in the US which all the other weather sites, tv meteorologists, ect, tweak for their markets.

Ventusky- Put in your zip code. Shows wind direction , snow coverage etc- highly accurate
Each of the choices (lower left) will change the screen to show your choice, also you can click on the date at bottom & see what will happen in the next week or so.
https://www.ventusky.com/

Last edited:
Weather.com <--- the most accurate across the world. The reason I say this is because of the following- like all weather sites, they use data provided by the US Government. But they also add some of their own data from smartphone apps, commercial sources and aircraft , plus data from Euro government sources. They also track data on past predictions and actual weather conditions, and compare this to other sites to try to beat the accuracy of official government sources. The amount of computing power allocated to NOAA and associated weather orgs is astounding, to which IBM (the parent company of Weather.com) adds even more.

If the local station has access to a local Doppler radar, they can "predict" weather in real time pretty good. Otherwise I believe they all use NOAA models for long term forecasts. As for user interface, I guess I prefer AccuWeather or whatever the app is that came with my Android.

Last edited:
I work for NOAA/NWS and I can tell you our data is used by all of the others...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by grampi
I work for NOAA/NWS and I can tell you our data is used by all of the others...

Agreed. I work in the aviation industry and I can say with confidence:

/thread

NOAA and then weather underground app on my phone. Have used weather.com but the app is more sluggish, IMO..

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
+1 for National Weather Service

+1

My rock during hurricane season … and glad that's about done (was not a bad season overall).

Weather underground. They will have actual local conditions from multiple amateur stations in your town, world satellite images also the 10 day graph is easy to read and provide information in an analogue style.

This is a desktop site rather than a phone app.

I have accuweather on my windows phone - and it's just o.k. but - it's really easy to read.

For very coolreal earth satellite photos, I look at noaa.gov GOES conus veggie and/or visible composite ...

take a look:

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/conus_band.php?sat=G16&band=GEOCOLOR&length=24

Used to like the Weather channel app, but too many ads now. It was always on the lower end of the snow estimates, Weather Bug would be screaming for a foot and they were always right at 3-6.

Accuweather used to have the best interface and 24 hour accumulated rain, helpful when the rivers are flooding.

They hid that feature, and their radar, has been tweaked so even a mild rain shows up as red, trying to scare people into watching them Makes it pretty useless in tornado season. Weather.com is more accurate.

Rod

My local news has their own weather app that has < 1 min current doppler updates. It's never given me a reason NOT to trust it or use anything different. If I have my GPS turned on, it will give me significant, severe or urgent alerts specific to my location.

Another app I like to mess with is called Windy.com. It shows lightning strikes in real time, all the other features with other weather apps, and some other neat features with good definition and contrast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back