Weird fuel leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i went to Costco today and when I came out and got near my truck I smelled diesel fuel. Looked on the ground and there was a big puddle and very active drip.

I recently changed the filter so I assumed it was that, looked under the truck and it was nowhere near the filter housing. it was coming from somewhere up high near the back of the tank but before the fuel filler.

I decided to get it home and look further. Get home, no leak. I can see the wetness of where it was coming from but did not dig to deep. Ran a few more errands, about 20 miles worth and still no leak.

It was a very active leak with a steady drip and a big puddle. Truck was level, tank was 3/4 and filled about 5 days ago. I have a Titan tank but it was installed 50k miles ago and never had any issues like this. I don't want to drop the tank if I don't have to but I also don't want a fuel leak to pop up when I am on the road. It's the F250 6.7 PS in my sig.

Anyone ever experience this?

I have heard of sending units leaking and fuel pools on top of the tank. A sudden stop will slosh the pooled fuel out of the recess. Im not sure how the Titan tank is designed compared to stock.

That is for 2017 cab and chassis only.

OP check the vent lines on top of the tank.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand
looks like titan tanks have been known to have some leaks.

Version 1 had leaks at the gasket on top of not installed correctly. It would leak when full and let water in

I have version 2. It has over 50,000 miles on it so I am pretty sure it's not that gasket.

Leak has not been back, I used the truck for another 30 miles after I posted this. It's just weird

So well over 300 miles on the truck now since I first saw the leak and no sign of it coming back. I guess I am going to have to dig around on the top of the tank and see what is going on.

Still I can't believe with how big that leak was that it is not back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back