Drill Bits

I've been going over my 'bench top' Drill Press (Ryobi bought 12 years ago) and fixing anything that needed attention.
Then organized all the Center-Drills and Counter-Sinks.

I started looking at my older set of Drill Bits and decided to purchase a complete set that are titanium coated.
I plan on only using on wood, plastic & aluminum (home DIY projects), so they should last a long time before sharpening.

I found these on Home Depots web-site (NOT sold in stores).
Two complete sets for $30.00 / that's 58 drill bits / 29 bits per set
1/32" thru 1/2" dia x 1/64" increments
Ryobi Pt No A975801

Another manufacturer (located in Wisconsin) has one set for $99.00

[Linked Image]

Link to web page:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-Titanium-Coated-Drill-Bit-Set-58-Piece-A975801/310710630?keyword=ryobi+drill+bits+A975801&semanticToken=20130000111_20191116122449140157_k0fp+20130000111+%3E++cnn%3A%7B0%3A0%7D+cnr%3A%7B7%3A1%7D+cnd%3A%7B4%3A0%7D+cne%3A%7B8%3A0%7D+cnb%3A%7B0%3A0%7D+cns%3A%7B5%3A0%7D+cnx%3A%7B3%3A0%7D+st%3A%7Bryobi+drill+bits+a975801%7D%3Ast+oos%3A%7B0%3A1%7D+br%3A%7Bryobi%7D%3Abr+pt%3A%7Bdrill+bit%7D%3Apt+dln%3A%7B562390%7D+nr%3A%7Bryobi+drill+bit+a975801%7D%3Anr+qu%3A%7Ba975801%7D%3Aqu

Last edited:
We have a metal shop at work. We would go through drill bits like there was no tomorrow. I needed a certain size one day and went to a tool store near us. We normally buy online. I bought bits made in the USA. They last about 20 times longer. They are all we buy now.

Reactions: JC1
The Ryobi set will be fine for wood, carpentry, and occasional aluminum.

If you want something that lasts in drilling metal, you'll find plain black oxide HSS Precision Twist, Chicago Latrobe or Norseman will last longer, enough to make the price difference worthwhile. Using the right drill speeds also matters more in hard metal.

Originally Posted by T-Bone
After trying a bunch of drill bit types (TiN coated, cobalt, tungsten, etc.) in an industrial maintenance setting, I found that the Norseman bit sets are fantastic, and the holder is great too.

Here is a link to an example:
Norseman drill bit set link

Made in USA too.

OP here,

Those Norseman Drill Bits look great.
If I was drilling into steel all the time, I'd be on them like stink on a monkey.

For now, I will have a decent set, and I plan on saving my 'older' (HSS) set if ever needed.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
I found that for metal, only cobalt bits will last, and only from a reputable brand. Irwin has been my brand of choice lately.

Will last, or last through the factory sharpening? I have HSS bits going back to my grandad. They are just shorter than my newer ones.
smile.gif

The best drill bits I've ever used are on the matco truck. And every size bigger than 1/4" is warranted for life. The tip is like a step drill.

The Ryobi set will be fine for wood, carpentry, and occasional aluminum.

If you want something that lasts in drilling metal, you'll find plain black oxide HSS Precision Twist, Chicago Latrobe or Norseman will last longer, enough to make the price difference worthwhile. Using the right drill speeds also matters more in hard metal.
I just ordered a 29pc set of Viking/Norseman drills from Amazon for $85, which I think is a good price for premium Made-in-the-USA drills. I got the "mechanics length" drills with 135deg split points and 3 flats on the shank.

My old set of uncoated 118deg drills will be kept for use on wood and aluminum. They have never performed very well on mild steel.

Most home drill presses run too fast for steel and over about 3/16”. A bench grinder, practice and a book on how to sharpen drills really helps. I was pretty good at it once, having to use the drills from the student machine shop in the lab where I worked. They always bought name brand American made but the students even though grad students and post docs chewed them up. Now I can’t probably sharpen a pencil well. The learning of feeling the tool and work is probably most important, rather than blaming the drill. That’s a nice deal.

Back