Monroe wouldn’t patch a trailer tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as the title says. They said it was illegal and against DOT regulation. Made no sense to me as I'd think an automotive tire would be more critical than a trailer tire. Anyways, I thanked them, said have a nice day, and left.

I called a family owned tire shop that was downtown and they said they could fix it no problem so that's where I dropped it off.

Anyone else have this issue? This is the first trailer tire I've had to repair.

Last edited:
Most trailer tires are cheap junk that just fall apart so they probably just didn't want to fool with it.

Liability reasons. Everyone sues these days for any mishap. Who needs that aggravation. I don't blame them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
Liability reasons. Everyone sues these days for any mishap. Who needs that aggravation. I don't blame them.

Then why would they repair any tire at all?

Maybe they should just make people sign a boilerplate waiver. Trailer tires generally aren't very tough, I've had ones that I had to put 3 or 4 plugs in (at different times) before they finally wore out!
crazy.gif

Well I can't speak about patching trailer tires. I can say dealt with a shop once that made me sign a waiver for a car tire patch job. Had a tire with two wholes close to each other. They said that because the two patch were close the tire might separate. I drove it for months no problems. They just wanted to sell tires in my opinion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Maybe they should just make people sign a boilerplate waiver.

Generally speaking, those waivers people sign like in an example like this will never hold up in court.

If they don't want to repair something, they should just say it vs making up lies or effectively putting the blame somewhere else (blame the federal gov't, i.e. the DOT, not us).

I briefly thought about starting my own car lot, long enough to look into insurance.

The form asked all sorts of nosy questions, like would I sell used tires, and if I did, would I sell them if they were over three years old.

Deep pockets get sued. /thread

I've had a shop tell me this before, doubt it's a "law" but rather prolly a store CYA policy. Now I just patch/plug my own, easy so long as it's not a gaping hole and you do it right. If i get a flat I'll just call out my roadside assistance to put on the spare (I could do it but why when I pay for RA?) and fix the flat when I get home or to wherever I'm headed.

The only thing that Monro knows how to do is run up a tab, whether it is warranted or not.
They have such a great rep (at least around here) that they are slapping a coat of paint on their buildings and changing their name.

Originally Posted by Tdbo
The only thing that Monro knows how to do is run up a tab, whether it is warranted or not.
They have such a great rep (at least around here) that they are slapping a coat of paint on their buildings and changing their name.

They're part of the "Tire Warehouse" group.

They used to have alliteration-- Monro Mufflers. Who needs mufflers anymore, with stainless exhaust?

Midas is selling tires.

What a mess!

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Just as the title says. They said it was illegal and against DOT regulation. Made no sense to me as I'd think an automotive tire would be more critical than a trailer tire. Anyways, I thanked them, said have a nice day, and left.

I called a family owned tire shop that was downtown and they said they could fix it no problem so that's where I dropped it off.

Anyone else have this issue? This is the first trailer tire I've had to repair.

To be honest I don't blame them. One thing I am really anal about is my trailer tires on the travel trailer. I replace them every 3 years. It is cheap insurance. I wouldn't trust a patch in one ever.

They are made different than automotive tires, they flex A LOT more for turns. They also blow out a lot more often than car/truck tires.

I paid 250 for brand new load range D 14 inch trailer tires for my trailer. That was mounted balanced and disposal of the old tires. So 60ish bucks a tire. Worth it when I have a 32 foot 7800lbs travel trailer getting lugged around behind me.

You are the first person I have ever heard of getting a road trailer tire fixed.

Last edited:
Trailer tires should be replaced when punctured. It's a good practice because they are marginal tires to begin with.

Anybody who tows knows this and wouldn't answer- "they just want to sell you another tire".

You can not even compare a trailer tire to a car tire in the sense a trailer tire goes through a [censored] of a lot more stress than a car tire. Due to size and load pressure you get a lot more heat generated on tires/bearings etc.

And the fact that trailer tires are often Chinese garbage, with quality that would shame bicycle and wheelbarrow tire makers.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Originally Posted by Lubener

Then why would they repair any tire at all?

Because trailer tires are generally junk/ throwaways compared to auto /truck tires..Next you would want them repairing your wheel barrow tire.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back