VOA for QSAD 10w-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Non-energy conversing oil weights usually seem to have a lower Moly content than their thinner kin. For my application (m/c) this is good. However, I am trying to find a VOA
for Quaker State Advanced Durability in 10w-40. If anyone has, please post. It seems most SN oils have around double digits of Moly, so for wet clutch operation would be ok, but still wanted to look at the numbers if anyone has it Thanks.

Non energy conversing oil weights. I hadn't heard that before.

The easiest way to search for this is to do it in your favorite search browser. Adding BITOG will include this site.

I have tried. My google-fu is pretty good. Tried searching for QSAD, Quaker State 10w-40, Quaker State Advanced Durability with and without quotes around the terms. Also checked pqiamerica.com..and anything that even comes close 5w-30 or 10w-30. So I checked known 10w-40s of other brands, and I think with exception of chevron supreme 10w-40--which is just a known good quality high moly oil, and for the most part the moly is down the thicker the operating weight (5w-30 will have more moly than 10w-40 for given brand ** edit: or maybe not?..lol). Havoline 10w-40 which is supposed to be the same as Chevron, actually has a lower moly content, which is weird--I always thought it was the same stuff. Anyway, so was hoping to get a VOA of Quaker State in that weight cuz I just cannot find it. If you can, awesome. I tried. Actually you can use 'inurl:bobistheoilguy.com' as well, which I did.

http://www.pqiadata.org/ChevronSupreme10W40.html

http://www.pqiadata.org/ChevronHavoline10W40.html

Non-energy conserving is any oil that doesnt say that on the API Ring. Usually lower weights (ex. 5w-30) will say "energy conserving" or "resource conserving" [friction modifiers/or too many of] which will cause a wet clutch to slip, and if your bike calls for SAE oil API specification SE, SF, or SG, SN is supposed to supersede all those (SE,SF,SG) BUT, I want to be careful w/ respect to anything in a particular brand's SN formula that would be bad for wet clutches (like too much moly, for example). I wanted to compare Kawasaki motorcycle oil to QSAD 10w-40 and Rotella T4 15w-40, to get an ideal "eyeball" of which oil would be best for the bike.

Last edited:
Sometimes the voa just isn't out there. I've run across that before. 10w40 is not a commonly used grade like it used to be. A 5w30 voa might be as close as you will find.

I think the spellcheck played with you on your original comment. I was kidding with you a bit there.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Non energy conversing oil weights. I hadn't heard that before.

:facepalm:..hahah u got me.

You could do a VOA and treat us all to it. Consider it a Xmas gift to BITOG'ers.....

Go with an SL oil. IIRC that's pre phos/zinc limits, so mfgs could load up on the phos/zinc in lieu of the more expensive moly. Or look at HDEO's.. they're usually higher in zinc/phos and typically low/to no moly as the thicker oil films are better at maintaining hydrodynamic lubrication.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
You could do a VOA and treat us all to it. Consider it a Xmas gift to BITOG'ers.....

Go with an SL oil. IIRC that's pre phos/zinc limits, so mfgs could load up on the phos/zinc in lieu of the more expensive moly. Or look at HDEO's.. they're usually higher in zinc/phos and typically low/to no moly as the thicker oil films are better at maintaining hydrodynamic lubrication.

Yeah, I'm thinking about it. Only $28 bucks, and the other oils have already been posted.I might.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Non energy conversing oil weights. I hadn't heard that before. . . .

"I talk and talk, and the oil just avoids the subject of energy!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back