Ruger Wrangler .22LR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Single action .22s are nice. I would put the money towards a Single Six/etc vs a pot metal copy.

I had a single action Heritage Rough Rider .22LR-.22 Magnum combo. I don't find SA revolvers much fun to shoot. BUT, there isn't a thing wrong with the Ruger Wrangler despite what it's made of.

Looks like a great gun for $189.00 and it will compete with a single six called the Heritage. I bought my son a Heritage and it works great. I have
the Ruger automatic Mark V or four I can't remember without looking at it. I also have the Ruger single six which is a great gun. Personally, I like the single
action pistols. I also have a Ruger Red label 12 gauge shotgun. Rugers are great and for the low price you can't to wrong. Buy it and if you don't like it
you can always get around $150.00 for it after you have used it.

Zee
Ruger makes great single action revolvers. I would definitely buy one if I were in the market for that type of handgun. Plinking or camping it's a good choice. I don't really like the cerakote finish, it tends to wear more than bluing or stainless. Other good choices are the S&W Victory, Browning Buckmark and Ruger Mk IV 22/45.

I have a SR22 with threaded barrel and also a single six convertible revolver came with a 22 mag cylinder. They both shoot great. With a Burris Fast Fire on the SR. I've even shot steel challange matches. It does well for what it is.

Rugers are grest pistols and revolvers for the money. In my opinion.

Last edited:
Well, I have a SS and lost the LR wheel … so it's .22 mag only … oh, well … really fun plinking ‘heavy'

Last edited:
Well … there are all kinds of gel tests but I'll share my bowl test.
We ran up on the remains of a rotted down house in the deep woods. There was an old heavy toilet bowl in the heap. I shot it 6 times with .22 LR and nothing but 6 grey skid marks.
Changed the wheel. First shot from .22 mag split the bowl in two halves

My Ruger Single Six is a great pistol - fun to shoot. Cheap to shoot.

Great for teaching.

Single action makes for a very smooth trigger and it really doesn't slow down the plinking.

Functionally, this looks the same. It may not have the quality of the Single Six, but it will have the functionality at a much lower price.

Agree … have it in .22 and .44 … was great for teaching my son … .22LR>>.22mag>>.44mag
(well, .44 handed back to me the 1st timeðŸ§)

I have a Wrangler. I have about 500 rounds through it and I have to say for the money it's a great gun. Mine is very accurate and fun to shoot. The only part of the gun that is a zinc alloy is the grip rails. Nothing that will effect the gun in any way. IMHO it's well worth the money. I paid $189.

IMG_20190914_170947582.jpg

I find single action 22s tedious to unload. If it were me at would save up a few more bucks and buy an auto. Single action centerfire pistols are much easier because the cases are bigger, but when I briefly owned a Single Six it drove me crazy trying to line up the cylinder with the ejector rod.

Ruger single six is a great low priced revolver. They have nicer form and finish than similar priced products and work great. Not sure about the wrngler but it should be pretty similar.

I saw the Ruger announcement of the Wrangler. Visually, it seems like a low-cost version of their Vaquero, but chambered for 22 rimfire. I would suppose they'll sell a lot of them, just as they sell a lot of the Ruger American Rifle series. I like my Single Six. It's a fun plinker. I don't like the Cerakote finish on the Wrangler at all, so it's not of interest to me. I don't actually care for Cerakote no matter what, but that's a matter of preference.

Originally Posted by Elkins45
I find single action 22s tedious to unload. If it were me at would save up a few more bucks and buy an auto. Single action centerfire pistols are much easier because the cases are bigger, but when I briefly owned a Single Six it drove me crazy trying to line up the cylinder with the ejector rod.

I can unload my Wrangler very quickly. The cylinder spins both directions. It's not an issue for anyone with any single action experience.

Originally Posted by bulwnkl
I saw the Ruger announcement of the Wrangler. Visually, it seems like a low-cost version of their Vaquero, but chambered for 22 rimfire. I would suppose they'll sell a lot of them, just as they sell a lot of the Ruger American Rifle series. I like my Single Six. It's a fun plinker. I don't like the Cerakote finish on the Wrangler at all, so it's not of interest to me. I don't actually care for Cerakote no matter what, but that's a matter of preference.

I agree with you. I am not a fan of Cerakote. But for a sub $200 gun that is just going to be a plinker all it's life it does a fine job.

Thanks for the comments so far. Yeah, I'm not sure about the Cerakote finish. At first I thought it was stainless, but obviously it wouldn't be for that cheap of a price.

The Heritage Rough Rider looks to be blued steel, plus I'd like to actually have a pistol like this be able to shoot both .22LR and .22 Mag. I think I can get a Heritage Rough Rider with both cylinders for about the same price or maybe cheaper than the Ruger Wrangler. It may not be as quality, but maybe fine for plinking ... I've looked at them before. I have a few .22LR semi-autos (Ruger, Colt), but not a revolver in .22 so thought I might get one since I like revolvers.

the ruger wrangler has lots of user reviews on gun related forums, pretty much all positive if you want a 22lr single action revolver. i have a wrangler, as well as a a ruger single six and heritage roughrider both in 22wmr/lr. while the s.s. is my favorite, if i were just starting out or cash strapped i would be most happy with a sub $200 wrangler for a new plinker. nothing terribly wrong with the r.r. but it is noticeably built to a cheaper standard. a used $300+ s.s. is likely a decent buy too as it is built like a brick outhouse, which also handles 22wmr better than a r.r. a new 22wmr/lr r.r. is ok at $150, $120 for 22lr only, but i wouldn't trust a used r.r. at any price.

if i wanted only one 22lr plinker but a semiautomatic i would be happy with just my ruger sr22. i like shooting rimfire guns and i came to really enjoy single action revolvers in all calibers. indeed s.a. revolvers are slower but i find that adds a certain deliberate serenity, and attention to detail and accuracy, as opposed to blasting away with a semiautomatic. kinda like sipping a fine whiskey versus doing shots of vodka.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back