Ford v Ferrari - anyone seen the movie yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was going to work on a friend's Cadillac ATS today, but UPS lost the part somewhere between eastern WA and Seattle. Excellent opportunity to take the kids to the matinee of Ford v Ferrari (even their mom is jazzed to see it).

I know the story from a past article or book I read, plus that cool documentary a few years ago ("The 24 Hour War"):

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4875844/

Anybody seen it in pre-screening or opening last night?

I just bought tickets for a 6pm showing today. It looks like the seats aren't really filling up so it must not be generating too much interest. Usually I can't get a ticket for Saturday evening/night at this theater this close to showtime unless the movie has been out a couple weeks.

I've read and heard about the Ford/Ferrari feud for years. Planning on seeing it next week.

Last edited:
The movie was great. It was a good mix of action and drama. Even my wife liked it and she has zero interest in cars or racing.

SPOILER ALERT AHEAD

I just saw it. I liked it and my wife liked it. I was a little disappointed as I thought it was to focused on Miles/Shelby vs Ford. It should have been called Shelby vs Ford. There was not much Ferrari stuff. I would have liked a little more detail on the GT40 development program. You could tell through the whole movie they were setting up for Ken Mile'ss death, otherwise we would have never seen his wife and kid.

Yes. Went to it 11/16. I really enjoyed it. A must see for any car person.

They cleaned up Carroll quite a bit. Perhaps the family insisted on it in the contracts. Or maybe they just wanted to glamorize him a little.

In real life, Shelby was real foul mouthed, and often directed it towards individuals. He could be mean. And they didn't portray his tendency towards taking credit for the work of others. If anything, they painted him in an exact opposite light, often giving credit to Ken Miles.

But I would recommend the movie to anyone. Even my wife enjoyed it.

Originally Posted by BeerCan
I was a little disappointed as I thought it was to focused on Miles/Shelby vs Ford.

Not sure I want to disappoint myself by watching it. Miles' co driver was Kiwi Denny Hulme, and in the 2nd car were Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon. I'm not sure I'll hear a mangled Kiwi accent because Hulme and McLaren are well down on the cast list, Amon not even mentioned.

Originally Posted by BHopkins
Yes. Went to it 11/16. I really enjoyed it. A must see for any car person.

They cleaned up Carroll quite a bit. Perhaps the family insisted on it in the contracts. Or maybe they just wanted to glamorize him a little.

In real life, Shelby was real foul mouthed, and often directed it towards individuals. He could be mean. And they didn't portray his tendency towards taking credit for the work of others. If anything, they painted him in an exact opposite light, often giving credit to Ken Miles.

But I would recommend the movie to anyone. Even my wife enjoyed it.

He could be mean is being generous to him.

Can't wait to see it.. the story of the GT40 is a great one in it's own right but add into that the Enzo/Ford "thing" (no love loss between them) and it makes for an even better story.ðŸ‘

Last edited:
Movie comes out suspiciously close to Dump month. Dump Months are January and August/September.. December sometimes has some doozies. Sometimes there seem to be extended Dump Months. Notice the overall lack of quality of movies in January and February etc, those should have been the Straight To DVD etc, though studios have relationships with distribution networks.. Fox Searchlight etc.

That said, is this movie worth seeing? It looks like it COULD be a good romp.. Matt Damon ehn not really good since Bourne Ultimatum, Christian Bale not really good since The Fighter.

We all know Ford beat Ferrari that year..

Originally Posted by dlundblad
We'd like to see it. It's a toss up between this and Terminator currently.

Don't see Terminator. This one is particularly unconvincing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back