7.62x39 AR anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of doing a 7.62x39 AR for my next build. I was thinking of the 300 AAC but like the price and availability of the 7.62. Can I get some feedback and or thoughts on this please.

I have an Olympic Arms AR in 7.62x39. I like it. I have it also for the availability of the ammo. A bit more punch at close range than .223. I use the ASC magazines in 7.62 rather than try to use .223 mags.

IMG_20191113_221650679.jpg

Last edited:
The Gander Outdoors near me is clearancing everything because the store is becoming a Gander RV & Outdoors store; 20% off firearms and ammo, 50% off the rest of the store. They had a CMMG Mutant Mk47 which came out to about $760 after the discount. Stellar price IMO.

I've got an AK. I love love love it. Eats steel-cased ammo like a fat kid on Halloween eats candy... I think my average cost for ammo works out to about $0.21/round, which is cheaper than my .22LR stash, and about 1/5 (or less!) the cost of my larger, bolt action rounds. The only way you can really approach $0.21/round with .223/5.56 is to buy 1000 round cases and get it while it's on sale.... and if you're like me, I prefer having a couple different ammo choices in small numbers vs. having to buy 1000 of one style only to find out it doesn't work well in your rifle.

Anyways, last week I bought my first AR, a SIG M400 Elite Ti, and I can already tell I miss the added "je ne sais quois" of the larger round. Understand that even an AR 7.62x39 is probably only going to be a 1.25-1.75 MOA rifle, but that in all reality what it lacks in same-hole accuracy it covers in spades with fun and availability. I am already looking at 300 Blackout uppers to mate to the SIG lower, and if I were able to rewind in time one week I would have gotten the Mutant. It's not quite as reliable as a full AK, but I can definitely appreciate the improved ergonomics and much larger spread of personalization available for the AR platform. 7.62x39 FTW!

BTW, my next "major" purchase is going to be a Rifle Dynamics AK with the Sharps Bros. milled receiver. One of the gun mags tested it with Jim Fuller present for the test, and it turned in sub-MOA groups at 100 yards! But it's $2700.... well worth it for something that will be as rare as unicorn tears that taste like Skittles.

Do you already own a rifle in .223/5.56?

The benefit of .300 BLK is that you can use your existing .223/5.56 bolt carrier group, magazines, and your lower receiver, as the only thing that would be needed to swap out is an upper receiver with a .300 BLK barrel (an upper receiver is not a firearm, so no 4473 forms).

.300 BLK is a great medium-game hunting round and suppresses wonderfully, and if you're into reloading, you can use old .223/5.56 brass to make your own .300 BLK cartridges, albeit with some extra work, as .300 BLK's parent case is .223.

Originally Posted by Mitsu4B11

The benefit of .300 BLK is that you can use your existing .223/5.56 bolt carrier group, magazines, and your lower receiver, as the only thing that would be needed to swap out is an upper receiver with a .300 BLK barrel (an upper receiver is not a firearm, so no 4473 forms).

.300 BLK is a great medium-game hunting round and suppresses wonderfully, and if you're into reloading, you can use old .223/5.56 brass to make your own .300 BLK cartridges, albeit with some extra work, as .300 BLK's parent case is .223.

Yup.
This is what I have

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/bc...y-barrel-300-blackout-1-8-twist-w-7-mlok

Also you can find 300blk for 20cents/round if you look. 2A ammo has S&B for 10.21/box of 20

Originally Posted by The_Eric
Also you can find 300blk for 20cents/round if you look. 2A ammo has S&B for 10.21/box of 20

You and I do math differently ... I get 51 cents/round for that box.

I like my new .300 BLK AR pistol a lot.

But she ain't cheap to feed...about the same as my 7.62 rifle...

One advantage of .300 BLK is the ability to use existing magazines, lowers, bolts, even uppers, with just a barrel change. It's cheap to get into. Just a few parts, instead of a whole new gun and magazines that are unique to that caliber.

.300 BLK supersonic matches the 7.62x39 performance, while .300 BLK subsonic is very easily suppressed and quiet.

So, for cost/ease of set up and versatility - .300 BLK.

For cost/round - 7.62x39.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14

I like my new .300 BLK AR pistol a lot.

But she ain't cheap to feed...about the same as my 7.62 rifle...

One advantage of .300 BLK is the ability to use existing magazines, lowers, bolts, even uppers, with just a barrel change. It's cheap to get into. Just a few parts, instead of a whole new gun and magazines that are unique to that caliber.

.300 BLK supersonic matches the 7.62x39 performance, while .300 BLK subsonic is very easily suppressed and quiet.

So, for cost/ease of set up and versatility - .300 BLK.

For cost/round - 7.62x39.
BLK is plenty cheap to feed. You just need a reloader.

Originally Posted by George Bynum

You and I do math differently ... I get 51 cents/round for that box.

HA! You're right... Not sure what was going through my mind when I posted that, thanks for the catch.

Originally Posted by Mitsu4B11

Yea a few but no plans to reload right now. I would not rule out trying the reloading in the future though. More than likely I do a 300 AAC later down the road just for grins. Thanks

Thanks everyone. I might even go with the side charge one just to change it up some and to help me ID this one in the safe. I've some fantastic grouping with these AR 47 types.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back