Please post your all electric drive battery life here

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all electric vehicles (no gas or Diesel engine)

please post the life you have gotten out of the drive battery, include make, model, year vehicle was made, miles, type of driving (mostly highway, mostly city, mix of both), location so we can get an idea of ambient temperatures it was exposed to, is drive battery still going fine and never been rebuilt, or replaced, or if repaired how many miles ago, what level of repair (only a few bad cells, a completely new pack with all cells new, and at what cost?

With the histories we can get from the post on this thread we may be able to get an idea of what the life expectancy of the drive battery of different all electric plug in vehicles can be.

What may be helpfull is if you had a problem with the drive battery post howmany years and miles you got out of it before having a problem, and what it took to fix it.

I don't own a Tesla, but I do get to drive them from time to time as various friends own them. Range is somewhat under the predicted number, that's to be expected here in FL, as AC runs constantly and travel speeds are often very high. Even so, the range is often 300 miles when in mixed driving.

One owner of a 2014 Model S had his battery replaced due to some form of internal connector flaw. It still had full capacity. The replacement battery has even more range.

Another owner just informed me that he did FL-CA-FL in his model S, without any difficulty.

Batteries seem to be holding up quite well. There are websites charting the degradation of Tesla batteries. The number of charge cycles does not seem to be a major issue. What remains to be seen is how well the batteries do after 15 or 20 years. My Jaguar was built in 2002, so it's 17 years old and still goes as far as it did when new, about 330-340 miles per tank.

https://electrek.co/2018/04/14/tesla-battery-degradation-data/

wp-co...2&quality=82&strip=all&ssl=1

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JimPghPA
With the histories we can get from the post on this thread we may be able to get an idea of what the life expectancy of the drive battery of different all electric plug in vehicles can be.

Doubt you'll get a large enough sample from an oil forum to give any meaningful results. Why not post this on the Tesla, Leaf, Bolt, etc. forums?

Originally Posted by atikovi

Doubt you'll get a large enough sample from an oil forum to give any meaningful results. Why not post this on the Tesla, Leaf, Bolt, etc. forums?

{Crickets}

Neighbor lady has a Leaf , bought new , don't remember the year , first version, warranty expired. She is down to less than 40 miles in range and hates the car as she had to be towed home once. It's becoming a paper weight. Will be worth nothing without a new battery and she said it is too expensive. Car looks new. All the current batteries are based on old tech now, waiting for something new. They do better if not charged at the highest rate and kept not fully charged all the time. Even Tesla says to limit fast charging when possible, so it's hard on the battery.
Regular hybrids like the Prius these things are all over the place and up to 16 years old. Toyota is supposed to be developing a new tech battery.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Will be worth nothing without a new battery and she said it is too expensive.

New battery $6,000+ and no aftermarket I know of. Prius battery rebuildable and aftermarket options available. 10-15 year old models still worth money and often more than a 6-7 year old Leaf.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Although this might not be the forum for data collection, it is time to have a forum section for E cars. After all they might need some 3 in1 oil for the electric motors.
laugh.gif

Some still have transmissions that use oil...

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Neighbor lady has a Leaf , bought new , don't remember the year , first version, warranty expired. She is down to less than 40 miles in range and hates the car as she had to be towed home once. It's becoming a paper weight. Will be worth nothing without a new battery and she said it is too expensive. Car looks new. All the current batteries are based on old tech now, waiting for something new. They do better if not charged at the highest rate and kept not fully charged all the time. Even Tesla says to limit fast charging when possible, so it's hard on the battery.

I have to agree that a car with a range of 40 miles is approaching uselessness.

But used Leafs are very popular in this area. They sell for $20,000 and up. So a minty used Leaf with a new battery should be worth a lot.

Even if it cost $6,000 to replace the battery, the rest of the car is (should be) valuable. Depending on its age, that might even be good value retention.

My suggestion is to not use Nissan Leaf batteries in this discussion, as generally their traction batteries are not holding up very well whereas batteries made by other companies are keeping their capacity a very long time.

I have an electric car... a 2011 Think City. It is almost 10 years old at this point, and has almost 33,000 miles on it. It still has the full range that it would have had when it was new. I am the 3rd owner, so I do not know if any work was done to the battery. I doubt it, however. I am in the pacific northwest, so not super high temperatures.

One of the advantages to having this thread on BITOG is that information of all the different makes and models can be included in the various post.

Originally Posted by DeafBrad
My suggestion is to not use Nissan Leaf batteries in this discussion, as generally their traction batteries are not holding up very well whereas batteries made by other companies are keeping their capacity a very long time.

Nissan cost-cutting gone wrong - thermal management is an issue for these.

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by DeafBrad

Nissan cost-cutting gone wrong - thermal management is an issue for these.

Old used Leafs still bring good money. Guess they don't consider a possible $6,000 battery replacement in their future.

The information about the high cost of the battery for a Leaf is very valuable as it helps rule out that vehicle as a used car.

You would think, but... I saw a 2012 sell at an auction today for $3,800 and it was sold as is. Sellers only sell as is if there is something major wrong with it. Apparently the buyer thinks they can make money flipping it even at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back