2000 Honda Insight Crunchy 1st & 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
What diff lube for a crunchy 2000 Honda Insight 5mt in cold weather?

Anyway my 2000 Honda Insight has developed a crunchy 1st and 2nd gear due to a common synchro defect.

I have a new transmission on the bench but these transmissions can last a very long time with improperly clocked synchros so the old one stays until failure.

All summer I have been able to rev match down shift but as it gets colder I am finding that doesn't work, The car is due for new lube anyway so I might try the OEM grease (what I'm told works best)

But I wonder if there is any manual xmsn lube that can cover up a mechanical issue?
AKA I want less crunchiness and smoother shifts

I could care less about fuel economy so I wonder if a different lube for my "crash box" might help even more (considering winter is upon us)

Redline MT90 is legendary for eliminating gear crunch in GL4 75W90 applications. Is there a Redline spec juice for your Honda I wonder?

Yes, try the AC Delco Friction Modified mtf. Just make sure it's the Friction Modified version. Honda has a service bulletin out to use it for the Accord V6 when the first to second shift crunches. Since it was much cheaper to use this. Lots of talk on the Accord forum about it but haven't visited that site for years because I sold the Accord.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
I have a new transmission on the bench but these transmissions can last a very long time with improperly clocked synchros so the old one stays until failure.

Why turn what could be a pleasant drive into one you will curse everytime you downshift? No fluid will fix this specific mechanical issue of worn syncro tabs, and why would you wait until it fails and possibly takes out other parts along with it. If you have one on the bench I assume you can work on them. Just do the syncro mod and replace input shaft bearing while you're in there and enjoy driving it.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
How much did that new transmission cost you?

It has 23,000 miles and came in the back of the car when I bought it.

So $0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back