Max life ATF/ Dex 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking for positive/negative feedback on using Maxlife ATF in place of Dex 6. Would go into our 11 Traverse and 11 Silverado. TIA

Don't believe in "one size fits all" products. I never had any issues with DEX 6. I stick with what is specified.

Last edited:
I just use the Dex6 in my 2018 Silverado, I figure it's not something I'll change that often so why mess with something that is intended to not only work, but is the factory fluid?

I bought one gallon on Amazon for $17.50, delivered with free shipping (actually I bought two for $35). How can you beat that price and to your door delivery? I wish I had bought the AC Delco filter right off Amazon for $19...instead I paid $42 from the dealer (no gasket, just filter). It's amazing how quickly a good deal gets wiped out because you screw up on the next one.

Originally Posted by Lubener
Don't believe in "one size fits all" products. I never had any issues with DEX 6. I stick with what is specified.

+1

Well the majority of fluids including Maxlife are DEXRON clones so it's a one size fits the majority situation.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Well the majority of fluids including Maxlife are DEXRON clones so it's a one size fits the majority situation.

To your point I grabbed a bunch of Transmax Multi Vehicle on clearance way back… and it actually has OEM licenses … used it in two GM's and a Ford before switching one GM to Maxlife … that vehicle has used ACD, Transmax, and Maxlife … specs are very close and at 120k it's shifting well on any of them
(that car trashed the FF in 40k)

I've always used Valvoline Dex 6 in all my GMs calling for Dex 6. Was just curious if this was actually a good replacement since it's printed on the bottle but does not have the cert.

Originally Posted by Railrust
I just use the Dex6 in my 2018 Silverado, I figure it's not something I'll change that often so why mess with something that is intended to not only work, but is the factory fluid?

I bought one gallon on Amazon for $17.50, delivered with free shipping (actually I bought two for $35). How can you beat that price and to your door delivery? I wish I had bought the AC Delco filter right off Amazon for $19...instead I paid $42 from the dealer (no gasket, just filter). It's amazing how quickly a good deal gets wiped out because you screw up on the next one.

Delco fluid? I have never seen it that cheap. I'll look again on Amazon. Thanks

Why would Valvoline (who headed API) want to compete with its own D6 … they both sell and nearly identical fluids

It will work fine with no problems
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Railrust

I usually get the filter and cork gasket from Napa. I've had good luck with that.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by dave1251

To your point I grabbed a bunch of Transmax Multi Vehicle on clearance way back… and it actually has OEM licenses … used it in two GM's and a Ford before switching one GM to Maxlife … that vehicle has used ACD, Transmax, and Maxlife … specs are very close and at 120k it's shifting well on any of them
(that car trashed the FF in 40k)

In my experience I have similar results to share. I'm using Maxlife in the transfer case also no difference in performance to report.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
For the others, use Maxlife ATF for 180,000 total miles and report back. I can say the Dex 6 did fine in my 6L90 for that many miles so far.

How many times did you change the ATF?

Every 50,000 miles including a filter change and full flush at the dealer ( not trying to sidetrack the thread here). Now I use my Flow N Go and shop vac to extract 3 liters and replace it with with 3 liters of Dex VI. I've done this once a year for the last two years. I'm trying to avoid trips to the garage and I don't feel like crawling under and dropping the pan.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I have it in my Escalade 4l65e that requires dex vi. Complete cooler line exchange 12 qts 3 jugs this summer. I noticed elevated temps on my transmission temp gauge right away. Not in its usual spot. Not over 200, but in the high 180s. I found a site that sells ACdelco dex vi cheap, going to try another cooler line exchange in the spring back to OEM. See if it makes a difference.

Do not use in a AWD transfer case requiring dex III. Too thin makes it slip around corners.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Every 50,000 miles including a filter change and full flush at the dealer ( not trying to sidetrack the thread here). Now I use my Flow N Go and shop vac to extract 3 liters and replace it with with 3 liters of Dex VI. I've done this once a year for the last two years. I'm trying to avoid trips to the garage and I don't feel like crawling under and dropping the pan.
smile.gif

Dude if you have a gm truck you're one tiny clip away from a cooler line exchange. It's way easier, way faster than doing that. It takes 30 mins to replace all of it. It's the passenger side upper line. Just pop that off, connect a hose with a Barb to a pan. Turn on the engine and start pumping 3 quarts at a time. It doesn't get any easier

The AC Delco I just used (Walmart online) was in Mobil bottles …
Not sure if that contract moved to P66 or not ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back