More on Cord Cutting - costs going up

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are glad we got rid of DirectTV but the cost of Hulu Live just went up from $44 to $54. Of course on top of broadband. But I need broadband to WFH.

What other optiond are there to get some Live TV that are called "cable channels" like CNN or MSNBC? Live TV being what Hulu calls it.

Comcast? Verizon Fios? I have the latter but would be happy to drop "cable channels" like CNN or MSNBC not to mention the "community" channels that show town meetings and such that nobody watches, in exchange for a lower bill.

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insign...XgaREAQYCSABEgJy8vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I got one of the above....we got 26 channels ....works great...

I agree.
I have NEVER in my life paid to watch TV.

I get 42 Channels.
Ted Turner brought back ALL the old shows from the 60's, 70's and 80's
* Rifleman
* M*A*S*H
* Star Trek (all 4 series)
* Flintstones
* The Invaders
* Hogan's Hero's
* Twilight Zone
* Lost in Space
* etc

Last edited:
Yup!
We recently got rid of Cable TV and have moved to watching through an antenna similar to what you've posted. And because we don't have a SHMARRRRT TV, we just bought a FireStick.

Last edited:
Apple, Disney, WarnerMedia, and just about everyone who can configure a streaming server is getting into the direct-to-consumer (DTC) content business. There are many valid reasons for this, not the least of which is consumer demand.

Everyone Says They Want à La Carte
For years, people have been waxing poetic about the desire for à la carte video content. "Why do I have to endure the Paranormal Mansplaining Channel when all I want is Food Network and some news? If only I could pay for only what I want to watch."

In a couple of weeks, you'll have so many options to pay for content à la carte, you won't really know where to start. And yes, you'll be paying extra for the inconvenience.

Paying for Inconvenience
I never met anyone who had anything nice to say about cable television set-top box interfaces or user experiences (UX). But love them or hate them, all TV-based video content interfaces had one thing in common: convenience.

Every time you pressed the channel button, you got to see content from a different provider. And while each channel had its own business model (ad-supported, subscription, or a bit of both), none of that was your concern. You just had one (albeit large) cable bill to pay. Shows were on channels, and all you needed to do was press channel up/down to see them all.

Is that on Netflix or Apple TV+ or Disney+ or Hulu or Prime Video or - wait - is that a cable show? No. It's on TV. TV? You mean cable? No. It's on Newscenter4. Is that on Netflix? No. It's on TV. Huh?

If playing "Where's Waldo" with your programming isn't annoying enough, wait until you add up your combined broadband, basic cable, and DTC bills. In honor of the biggest shift in television distribution since the advent of cable, get out your calculator and let's see what your à la carte content is going to cost you.

Newcomers...continued at link
https://www.shellypalmer.com/2019/10/streaming-sticker-shock-sequel/

YouTube TV is pretty comparable to Hulu Live TV.

At $50/month it's a little cheaper, but not much.

You can always go with an antenna. Depending on your location, that may work great or it may be disappointing. Still doesn't get you the "cable" channels and unless you pair it with some hardware like a TiVo (which typically will cost you a monthly fee), you're without a DVR.

Wow at 55$ a month plus internet, wouldnt it just be cheaper to get TV again? Otherwise a basic antenna will work for most things. If you can live without it, cancel the live tv and just use prime, netflix, and regular hulu for about 25$ a month combined, plus over the air antenna.

Originally Posted by Donald
What other optiond are there to get some Live TV that are called "cable channels" like CNN or MSNBC? Live TV being what Hulu calls it.

Doesn't Sling offer something similar for less?

Just signed up for Hulu a month ago and now I get a notice of a 20% increase, I wasnt impressed.

Couple that with Charter Speculum's usual BS on my old bill and this has been a pain.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Donald
We are glad we got rid of DirectTV but the cost of Hulu Live just went up from $44 to $54. Of course on top of broadband. But I need broadband to WFH.

I dont agree that "cutting the cord" is switching from one pay TV provider to the other and sticking with the same old cable channels. As long as you are dependent you didnt "cut the cord".

After reading some posts in here I am at a complete loss that people pay for TV and think they cut the cord. To me, if your paying more then $20 a month, no way did you cut anything.

Last edited:
We ditched sling and directv now.

We have a few set top antennas and get 30 channels.

I use pluto, and we subscribe to an IPTV company we pay $40 per 3 months.

Due to the nature of these companies, their service is not always reliable but we don't watch much TV.

We mostly have it to watch the Canadian and British channels.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by BigD1
Pluto...free streaming TV. News channels, music channels, movie channels, and on demand movies too.

https://pluto.tv/live-tv/channel-lineup

Is that for real? Won't require you to pay for a subscription after an hour or a day like Hulu did?

$6.00 a month for Hulu (for those that dont know)isnt going to break the bank.

Again, get a Roku Player, hundreds of free choices. Yes Pluto too.

Hulu let you watch stuff on your computer for free up to about a year or two ago. Already paying $130 a month to Verizon for TV, phone and internet so not spending another $6.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by BigD1
Pluto...free streaming TV. News channels, music channels, movie channels, and on demand movies too.

https://pluto.tv/live-tv/channel-lineup

Is that for real? Won't require you to pay for a subscription after an hour or a day like Hulu did?

Yes it's free no subscription. I have been using it for over a year now, and they keep adding more channels to watch.

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insign...XgaREAQYCSABEgJy8vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I got one of the above....we got 26 channels ....works great...

I haven't tried that one, but I have outfitted a few family member's with Winegard FlatWave indoor antennas and they work well. For me, the amplified ones work better. They come with basically a cell phone charger and cord that plugs into a fitting near the antenna to 'amplify' it.

I'm a few days away from returning my Spectrum TV box and remote.. It should save me about $70/mo off my current ~$145/mo cable/internet bill and this is for basic cable and standard internet! I have to keep the internet. Can't even make a phone call in my home without wifi calling. I live in a big valley, so good OTA is a challenge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back