HDEO in motorcycles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there. Anyone tried some HDEO in their bikes with any success? Where i work i can get HDEO for real cheap and it is Mobil Delvac XHP ESP 10W-40. My Kawasaki ZZR600 calls for 10w-40 oil so viscosity matches, but Delvac carries JASO DH-2 approval and not JASO MA-2 which bikes need. I heard that some people run Rotella in their bikes and it works good, but that oil is not available in my country unless i buy it online.

No HDEO that i know of has an honest JASO MA.. but they print it on the jugs.

Any oil i the correct viscosity will do just fine.. just change it when the shifting quality goes south.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72

Any oil i the correct viscosity will do just fine.. just change it when the shifting quality goes south.

I mean Shell as a company would have all the resources to self-certify that Rotella is JASO MA right? Just because they aren't paying JASO to be listed in their oil database does not mean Shell is flat out lying.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72

Rotella is the only one that has JASO MA on the back of the jug. I blieve its not actually a certified JASO MA oil, but Shell self certifies and says it is compatible.

If you cant find Rotella, me personally, I would just run a motorcycle oil.

I used Rotella 15W40 in my 1985 Honda V65 Sabre for over 20 years and 60K never had a problem. My last two bikes I have been using Valvoline synthetic motorcycle oil.

Thanks for the answers guys. Well since i have to replace the clutch cover on my bike after a small accident and have to drain oil anyway so i might try the Delvac oil in my bike. If the bike doesnt like it i just change to proper motorcycle oil.

TONS of people run HDEOs in their wet-clutch motorcycles. Rotella T 5W40 and 15W40 in particular are not JASO MA oils because they lack a gasoline rating or certification (which is a requirement of the JASO MA spec). Personally, I think Shell means those two products meet the wet clutch friction requirements of JASO MA. As to using those diesel oils in a gasoline engine? Prob'ly work fine for a really long time. Maybe the products would meed an older s-series oil certification test, or maybe they wouldn't. IDK, and I think the motorcycle market is far too small for them to worry about it. Tons of people use their product and are happy; good enough for them(?).

I use HDEO in my car as well, used the same oil in last 2 cars i owned as well and it worked fine. But was not sure since bikes have wet clutch and engine/gearbox use the same oil.

No problems using Delvac in a bike. If you want to be really sure, look for an Allison C3 approval - that's for Allison truck autos....gears and multiplate clutch packs.

There is mounting evidence that either HDEO (Heavy Duty Engine Oil for Diesel Vehicles) or PCMO (Passenger Car Motor Oil) will meet and exceed your mileage expectations...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Many people have used HDEO in bikes without any problems, even those without the JASO MA rating.

True...
The holy trinity of science is 1)Reason 2)Observation 3)Experience...
employing those tools we observe that the primary cause clutch slip
are high mileage... mileage is the constant among all of the clutches
that begin to slip... oil choice whether JASO approved or not is not a
constant... High mileage is the constant where all clutches begin to
loose grip due to normal glazing and contaminates that build up over use...

[Linked Image from vfrdiscussion.com]

I hope JASO adds the gear pitting test(s) they've been talking about to the next revision of the spec.

I didn't realize there was a problem with gears pitting and that JASO oils didn't prevent that issue any more than motorcycle specific oils.

I used Rotella T4 in my 2008 Suzuki Vstrom for years with no ill effects. It was running as new when I sold it.

Did not get any answers to my question by using the search function. No need to be salty, no one demands anwers from you, and you just spent the same effort posting this salty reply as you would with constructive reply.

I've used conventional Rotella 15w-40 in my bikes for years. Goldwings back then. Victory 106/6 now. (both are shared sump) Never an issue with wear rates or the clutches. I will use it in my new-to-me 2007 DR650 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back