Post your Hybrid drive battery life here

Status
Not open for further replies.
For Hybrid gas/or diesel with hybrid drive battery without plug in to charge:

please post the life you have gotten out of a Hybrid drive battery, include make, model, year vehicle was made, miles, type of driving (mostly highway, mostly city, mix of both), location so we can get an idea of ambient temperatures it was exposed to, is drive battery still going fine and never been rebuilt, or replaced, or if repaired how many miles ago, what level of repair (only a few bad cells, a completely new pack with all cells new, and at what cost?

With the histories we can get from the post on this thread we may be able to get an idea of what the life expectancy of the drive battery of different Hybrid non plug in vehicles can be.

Please note this thread is not for posting about the 12 Volt battery that starts the gasoline or Diesel engine.

This thread is for posting about the much more powerful and larger and more expensive drive battery that powers the electric motor(s) that propel the vehicle and are also recharged with regenerative breaking.

What would be helpfull is if you had any problems with the drive battery, tell howmany years and miles you got out of it before having a problem, and what it took to fix it.

Bought and sold nearly 30 of the 2000-2006 Honda insights. Many of them had their batteries replaced under warranty, sometimes twice. They would start throwing codes after 5-6 years for battery degradation, most often for southern owners. There are a few owners still going with the original nearly 20 year old packs though, but the cars are from the cooler states. Aftermarket replacements are available but contain Chinese cells which tend to be a crapshoot. At least on these early hybrids you can disconnect the battery and drive on the gas engine alone still getting over 60 mpg, albeit slower and won't pass emissions inspection.

My brother who also lives in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania where the coldest it has got in the winter is around -20F, and hottest in the summer around 100F but useally only 0F to 80F for the wintet / summer extremes, is the original owner of a 2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid with 88,000 miles on it and it is still running fine with no work ever being done on the drive battery.

I think the Hybrid system and battery for Nissan was made by Toyota back then, but now Nissan makes there own.

It is also worth noting that Pittsburgh PA has many hills so any Hybrid in Pittsburgh will see a lot of regenerative breaking.

Last edited:
We have a 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid. At 120k it's on the original battery.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
Please note this thread is not for posting about the 12 Volt battery that starts the gasoline or Diesel engine. ...
That assumption is incorrect (except for some Hondas in some circumstances).

I'm still on the original traction battery.

Originally Posted by CR94
Please note this thread is not for posting about the 12 Volt battery that starts the gasoline or Diesel engine. ...

Which is why some Hondas can still be driven after the hybrid battery dies instead of being scrapped.

Mom's 2008 Prius needed a battery 3 years ago at about 140,000 (if I remember correctly) . Cost her a fortune. It failed when she moved to VT, but the car spent it's life in Seattle. She'd brag about the 50MPG she got. A quick back of the placemat calculation shows that she is still ahead financially, but not by much. $4500 purchases a LOT of gas. At that point she had used about 2800 gallons of gas in her Prius. Compared to 4600 that a Corolla would have consumed at 30MPG.

Bottom line, the battery cost her about 1700 gallons worth of gas. For a net savings of about 100 gallons cost! Not exactly fantastic.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by CR94

Which is why some Hondas can still be driven after the hybrid battery dies instead of being scrapped.

My brothers 2007 Nissan Altima hybrid has a 12 Volt battery to start the gasoline engine. It is in the trunk between the carpet on the right side and the sheet metal on the back right side. We used it to jump start our Impala recently. It is one of those 12 Volt batteries with six round cells.

...My brothers 2007 Nissan Altima hybrid has a 12 Volt battery to start the gasoline engine. It is in the trunk between the carpet on the right side and the sheet metal on the back right side. We used it to jump start our Impala recently. ...
So it started the Impala, but that doesn't mean it cranks the Altima's engine.

Last edited:
2011 Prius, original owner. 199,500 miles. Battery has never thrown any fault codes, but was reconditioned twice (using the Prolong kit) for maintenance. The battery does shown signs of weakness - it drains quickly when the A/C is running.

09 Prius, it was in the family since new. 166K, still have the original battery. No crazy SoC fluctuations but I do notice the battery drains quickly during parallel parking or HVAC is running. I wager I need a new battery at the 180-200K mark.

05 Honda Civic Hybrid - 243k 70% hwy/30% city miles on original high voltage battery. In Wisconsin where temps get to -10F routinely and never had a problem with the civic in the cold.

I picked up my '04 Prius in fall of 2016 w/ 65K on it It was in western VA on the I-81 corridor

It now has 126K on it; original traction battery. My commute to work is about 35 miles. It really isn't my DD

Last edited:
Got my wife's (now mine) 05 prius with 237k and one dead module. Replaced said module with an ebay one and now it's at 284k.

Got my 06 with 198k and a dead module, then another module died at 201k, now at 206k.

My first 2005 came with a presumably untouched battery at 257k, sold at 275k. Only did front end work, ignition coils, and other non-hybrid repairs.

Had the choice between NiMH and lithium when we bought wife's new 2019, went with tried-and-true NiMH.

Are my batteries tired? Probably. They "short cycle" the engine when I'm stuck in traffic for an appreciable amount of time. No codes and 45+ MPG winter, 50 summer.

My 2005 Civic Hybrid went 300 000 km before I sold it. The engine did not burn a drop of oil but I was afraid of the battery replacement cost so I sold it. I routinely got 5 litres per 100 km on that car.

My son is driving my old 2010 Fusion Hybrid with 195,000 miles on her. Original hybrid drive battery. Runs like new. I told him when that battery dies, it is time to send the car to the scrap heap, rather than replace the battery.

I recall reading articles about Ford Escape Hybrid NYC taxis with OVER 400,000 miles on their original batteries.

Sounds like Ford must done their homework, and resulted in fewer hybrid battery durability issues than some of the other auto manufacturers. (Better than some of their dual clutch transmissions, for sure)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back