Exterior Home Security Cameras?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After purchasing several different brands of WiFi cameras, and having bad luck with them, I purchased one of these...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07789DM4R/?th=1
After using it for a while I found that it worked really good and I purchased 2 more. They have been completely trouble-free and they have an excellent clear picture day and night. I really like the fact that they have SD card recording built in (use ONLY high endurance SD cards), they can also be used with several of the computer software packages (like Blue Iris, iSpy, etc), they will work with an NVR which supports ONVIF, and the videos/pictures (both live and recorded) can be accessed with their smartphone app from anywhere in the world. None of these features require a monthly/yearly subscription.
They are WiFi cameras, and unlike some of the other WiFi cameras that I had before, the WiFi connection is 100% stable, but unfortunately they are not totally wireless, NONE of the cameras that work 100% of the time and stay connected to the network 100% of the time are totally wireless. You will still need to run a power wire to each of them, but this is much easier than running CAT5 cables all over the house (but they can also be wired-up with CAT5 cables if you choose).

I just installed three ezviz Wi-Fi outdoor cameras in the past week.
Low-cost cameras made by subsidiary of the global company Hikvision.
I chose these cameras because I didn't want to bother with batteries.
I have installed hundreds of Wi-Fi cameras on customers homes and businesses though not from this company.
Those cameras dedicated to alarm.com and Honeywell security systems. They work much in the same way and actually at the cost I'm impressed with the ezviz.
Wi-Fi cameras typically just record Clips on motion and there are some compromises which I can outline when I have time but if you know what to expect I'm actually pretty happy with them.
Again keeping the low cost in mind they're pretty good. The model I purchased was C3 WN. You then have to add a memory card to each camera. I purchased 3 64 gig micro cards in Walmart at $11 and change each.
If you're in some high crime area and need to positively have a clear image of a face when the night vision is on I don't know if this would be the camera for you.
The night vision is great but it would be hard to positively identify a face in many cases. This is to want me to how bright the night vision is . I'm not quite sure except for much greater expense what camera is good at that.
You do of course have the option to subscribe to the service where the clips are uploaded to the cloud instead of relying on memory cards. You also have the option to have a recorder but that stuff is way more than I need or care to have.
Oh yes after reading some of the posts one of the most very impressive things about this inexpensive camera is I have not had any lose my Wi-Fi connection. They have been Rock Solid in that respect which is pretty big when it comes to Wi-Fi cameras at times. Sometimes when reading reviews it's the person's Wi-Fi not the camera which I have dealt with on customers and businesses quite frequently my system is Rock Solid.
These cameras also have the option but being hardwired with CAT5 instead of using Wi-Fi which again is pretty impressive for an inexpensive camera.

Last edited:
I have a q-see nvr system that I bought as a kit from Home depot. The NVR is 8 channel and the kit came with four cameras. It's a power over Ethernet (POE) system, so only one ethernet cable is required to provide both video, power and audio of the camera supports it. It's been about 1.5 years since installation and I have not had any problems with it. I had to restart it few time because I would not get app notifications (the footage was still recorded fine on the HDD) and that's about it.

I'm planning to add few more cameras and want to use wider angle ones, but q-see has little to no options for what I want, so I will see how compatible it is with other brand cameras. This might be its weakness.

With wireless cameras you either have to keep changing the batteries, or run a power wire to them anyway and they do need a very strong wifi signal. Having one or two like this is probably fine, but for a whole system I would avoid wifi and go wired.
The initial pain of running the wire is hard to stomach, but once that is done, and I would do it with cat5 or 6 ethernet to stay current, you will have a lot more options in the future and upgrades will be easier. A wired system is also more reliable and not prone to signal loss or internet outage.

Any NVR or older DVR system will continue recording just fine without any internet connection, as long as power is on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
I have a q-see nvr system that I bought as a kit from Home depot. The NVR is 8 channel and the kit came with four cameras. It's a power over Ethernet (POE) system, so only one ethernet cable is required to provide both video, power and audio of the camera supports it. It's been about 1.5 years since installation and I have not had any problems with it. I had to restart it few time because I would not get app notifications (the footage was still recorded fine on the HDD) and that's about it.

I'm planning to add few more cameras and want to use wider angle ones, but q-see has little to no options for what I want, so I will see how compatible it is with other brand cameras. This might be its weakness.

With wireless cameras you either have to keep changing the batteries, or run a power wire to them anyway and they do need a very strong wifi signal. Having one or two like this is probably fine, but for a whole system I would avoid wifi and go wired.
The initial pain of running the wire is hard to stomach, but once that is done, and I would do it with cat5 or 6 ethernet to stay current, you will have a lot more options in the future and upgrades will be easier. A wired system is also more reliable and not prone to signal loss or internet outage.

Any NVR or older DVR system will continue recording just fine without any internet connection, as long as power is on.

I cant agree with your comments on Wi-fi cameras or as you call wireless.
Both type of systems have advantages and disadvantages. Just like anything in life.

1. I agree, I would not want wireless battery operated Wifi cameras, not for me, though the batteries will last months before needing recharging, not something that is for me or I care to do. But for someone else, they do have their place and very easy to locate in specific areas if need be. Best of all is clear image quality and simple for someone to install and literally place anywhere, as long as the wifi signal reaches.

2. I am soundly in favor of WIFI cameras that run on a wired power connection to the camera so I dont have to bother with charging the camera batteries.
its easy as heck for any reasonable person to run the equal thickness of a cell phone charging cord wire (or telephone wire) to a wifi camera. You can place the camera anyplace on the house and always have a nearby outlet someplace in the house to plug it it. This doesnt come close to the hassle of running CAT 5 cables from each camera to a central location of where the NVR is to be located. This system is just as reliable as a CAT 5 hardwire system IF, like anything in life the person installing it has a properly set up wifi network in his/her home and understands what they are doing. Since Wifi cameras that only record clips are less expensive, upgrade options to me are more simple, in a few years, if another great camera or system comes out, throw the camera out and hook up the new.

Also with this type of system, the video clips are stored "off premises" so the thief has no access to the video.
The downside of this is the cameras really need to be properly set up as the cameras will only record when they detect motion, if they dont detect motion, there will be no video.
Again, pluses and minus to all technologies but if your a typical homeowner and just want something simple and cost effective regarding a camera system for the fun of it, the interest of it or for some security knowing there might be some limitations but with the determination to make it work the best it can, wifi is the way to go.

As I have said in another post, I have installed hundreds of these types in homes and business, one advantage for business is, again, IF PROPERLY set up, the video clips are stored off the premises and the thief can not steal or take the NVR/DVR recorder. this does happen at times, business gets broken into and the thief takes the recorder too, removing any evidence.

3. As far as CAT 5 hardwire cameras, I agree, yes, this is a great way to go if one is willing to spend the time, money and determination (as well as properly hide and secure it)
If you properly run the wires to a central part of the home, properly make the connections, properly set it up with the router and most of all, buy good quality trouble free equipment for lack of better words, I would call this the professional way of doing it but I am talking using good equipment, because just like Wifi cameras, there is A LOT of junk out there. (BTW) a good system (and yours might be) you should have no problem mixing and matching different camera brands but I am only used to commercial type equipment in the CAT 5 field.

4. Finally both systems have advantages and disadvantages.
Lets take my own example. I live in a community of 200 homes. In the last 13+ years, one home has been broken into. and less then a handful of times in 10 years have cars been broken into and I use the word loosely cars broken into, almost every case the doors were unlocked.
SO the cameras I set up are more for fun. entertainment and to see the once in great while 10 year old kids run through the back yard, if ever. The best part of them is just a fun project, we also see why our dog goes nuts in the morning, possums, raccoons and deer in the night. So I didnt feel the need for anything more then spending the money on the ezviz c3wn cameras for fun. Got three cameras, 3 64 gb memory cards on each camera that store video plus a Skybell door bell camera.
Anyway, what I am saying is, my home is secure, between my state of the art security system (because its my industry and I like it) and now, some cameras outside, its definatly a secure feeling.

AS far as the NVR/DVR route, yes, I would consider that the next level and a great choice, might even be less of a hassle to most people once they get the wires run.
With that said, they will have issues too but maybe less so because so many people do not understand the importance of a properly set up wifi system in a house.
I presented everything as balanced as I could and I speak from experience. The one disadvantage of storing the video "onsite" with a hardwire NVR/DVR is anyone can steal it along with your possessions so it should be hidden and many times, its family members who break into homes, like a drug addicted child or next door neighbor and if they know where the NVR is, they will take it, with wifi cameras properly set up, they cant take the video, its in the cloud or possibly stored in the camera but they will never know which.

Ok, have a good day all, wow, this was a long post :eek:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wag123
After purchasing several different brands of WiFi cameras, and having bad luck with them, I purchased one of these...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07789DM4R/?th=1
After using it for a while I found that it worked really good and I purchased 2 more. They have been completely trouble-free and they have an excellent clear picture day and night. I really like the fact that they have SD card recording built in...

You got me curious now, Im into this stuff and just installed my 3rd EZVIZ C3WN ... but now wondering how your option would compare.
Maybe one day Ill try one out. its always good to hear from people who tried the cameras and purchased more.
Yes, I also like that I have the option to use CAT5 and this one also has the SD card built it.
The motion recording on these cameras, well, you need to be determined, not an exact science balancing between rain storms, bugs etc. I can see a normal person getting frustrated but I am used to these issues and I am thankful that the system gives me the flexibility to make the adjustments I need.
I can say one thing about the EZVIZ wow, I mean, the speed and method of learning these cameras into my wifi network blew me away, literally seconds and then went right into a flawless fast firmware update. Very impressive, I am used to much more expensive "commercial" quality wifi cameras and sometimes the stuff is a pain in the a__ learning it in. Again, long term, who knows, time will tell.

Last edited:
Arlo having a Black Friday sale. I pulled that trigger today. Their prices look awesome.

I've got 8 Arlos inside and outside. Only issue is one defective battery early on, and the camera furthest from the base unit (back patio) is sometimes difficult to re-connect when changing the battery. I have to walk it inside the house, wait for it to connect, and then mount it.

I've just added a couple of cameras to my house - one for the front of the house (driveway area) and one in the garage. I used the TP-Link Kasa devices. 1080p HD resolution, wireless, cloud-based storage of footage (2 days' worth for free, 14 days on subscription). The outdoors camera is IP65 weather resistant. There's a decent app to set them up and control them. You can also link them to Alexa (for example on my TV with a Fire TV stick, if I say "Alexa, show me the outdoors camera" then a couple of seconds later I'm looking at the outdoors scene on my TV). The app can give you notifications if a camera sees movement or hears a sound - you can adjust the sensitivity of both.

They are not serious CCTV cameras but for my needs they work well enough. All you need to install them is somewhere to mount them and a USB cable for power. Mine is mounted high up, under the eaves of the roof and the cable goes under the roof tiles into the attic where I have a power socket.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Arlo having a Black Friday sale. I pulled that trigger today. Their prices look awesome.

What website did you buy it from?

Originally Posted by JC1
Originally Posted by Gebo

What website did you buy it from?

Arlo's own website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back