Mower thrown to the curb..

Nobody around here pushes mowers to the curb anymore. They put them on Craigslist and wonder why nobody wants to pay $50 for a non-running rusty push mower.

Originally Posted by Eric Smith
This one might need one also, alot of slack in the cable. Once I get it running good I'll address that.

This may be why it was at the curb. If the cable is to loose it will become unresponsive when you start walking, in other words you will run into the handle before it starts to move, tighten up the cable and it will be more response, tighten it up to much and you will have a hard time pulling it backwards because it won't unlock the drive when it comes to a rest. While you are mowing, a second before you want to pull the mower backwards let up on the handle and let it roll forwards a bit, this is what unlocks the drive, start pulling backwards to soon and it will be very hard to pull backwards, I think this is why a lot of people don't like the Personal Pace system.

Tons of videos on using and adjusting the Personal Pace.

I'm guessing once you get it setup correctly and start using it you won't want to sell it
smile.gif

Last edited:
I've flipped about a dozen Toro's this season. Some free, some paid but never more than $50. Quick clean up of the carb and sold for $150/ea.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Originally Posted by Eric Smith
This one might need one also, alot of slack in the cable. Once I get it running good I'll address that.

This may be why it was at the curb. If the cable is to loose it will become unresponsive when you start walking, in other words you will run into the handle before it starts to move, tighten up the cable and it will be more response, tighten it up to much and you will have a hard time pulling it backwards because it won't unlock the drive when it comes to a rest. While you are mowing, a second before you want to pull the mower backwards let up on the handle and let it roll forwards a bit, this is what unlocks the drive, start pulling backwards to soon and it will be very hard to pull backwards, I think this is why a lot of people don't like the Personal Pace system.

Tons of videos on using and adjusting the Personal Pace.

I'm guessing once you get it setup correctly and start using it you won't want to sell it
smile.gif

Don't plan on selling it.. my old one might give it to my parents since it starts easily. Thanks for the tip on pulling it backwards and adjustments.

Originally Posted by ZebRuaj
I've flipped about a dozen Toro's this season. Some free, some paid but never more than $50. Quick clean up of the carb and sold for $150/ea.

There does seem to a excessive amount cheap on Facebook and Craigslist, I guess too complicated for some to repair even though seems fairly easy!

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
I would watch that house from now on. There's no telling what good stuff they may throw out.

That house is empty again, don't think anyone has lived there more a couple months. Not sure what's wrong since it looks fairly nice and they just updated it.

Originally Posted by super20dan
thats one of the good toros now all you get is crappy personal pace

You must of had a bad experience with the Personal Pace, I've had three different Toro's all with Personal Pace and all of them worked flawlessly. I admit there is a bit of a learning curve but once you get it down and get the cable adjusted it's the only way to go.

I do lawnservice for a living. I want a self propelled mower to pull me -not one that you have to help push along. stupid desighn . few realize that all its doing to vary the speed is slip the belt. this is whats made the larger 30 inch model such a turkey in the commercial market. you have to help push it up hill. I got a free personal pace , hated it wouldn't use it and gave it away. try using one as just a trim mower and doing where the large zero turn cant go and see how you like it then

That is a similar situation in my area. People who are selling believe they have gold, yet when they come to purchase something, they expect you to give it to them for free.

thats one of the good toros now all you get is crappy personal pace

You must of had a bad experience with the Personal Pace, I've had three different Toro's all with Personal Pace and all of them worked flawlessly. I admit there is a bit of a learning curve but once you get it down and get the cable adjusted it's the only way to go.

I do lawnservice for a living. I want a self propelled mower to pull me -not one that you have to help push along. stupid desighn . few realize that all its doing to vary the speed is slip the belt. this is whats made the larger 30 inch model such a turkey in the commercial market. you have to help push it up hill. I got a free personal pace , hated it wouldn't use it and gave it away. try using one as just a trim mower and doing where the large zero turn cant go and see how you like it then

I don't have any hills or have never tried the 30 incher so I can't comment on that but the trimming is where I feel it shines, my wife has the back yard surrounded in flowers and bushes and it's a lot of back and forth. Then again the only other self propelled mower I've ever owned was a high vac with the little flap lever on the side but I remember it was easier just to push it when trimming than keep engaging the drive.

Nice! I woulda grabbed it up too. It's not a super recycler, but still a decent Toro machine and free!

Originally Posted by LubeFiner
That is a similar situation in my area. People who are selling believe they have gold, yet when they come to purchase something, they expect you to give it to them for free.

My favorite is when the ad states "this is a $____ dollar mower when new". Well yeah but it is far from new and does not run.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

My favorite is when the ad states "this is a $____ dollar mower when new". Well yeah but it is far from new and does not run.
lol.gif

I actually talked down a $125 Toro SR4 down to free. Kept saying deal of the century. $500+ when new. Owner kept saying all it needed was a new spark plug and the wheels would lock when trying to pull back. I said OK. Here's a new plug. Wouldn't start. He flustered then asked what I would pay. Said $0. I already paid $5 for the plug (this was already in my garage stock). He reluctantly let me walk home with it as he had already bought a Honda cause the salesman said Hondas don't have problems.

Cleaned the carb. Adjusted the drive cable. Gave it a wash. Made $200 the next day.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Sometimes people get tired of things. I bought a Lawn Boy push model with the Duraforce 2-stroke when I got my first house. The governor spring broke so it'll only idle. Plus it needs new wheels.
I moved to a 5 acre lot and don't need it, not even as a trim/finishing mower.
I should put it out with the trash with a note stating governor spring broke. But because it's a cool 2-stroke, I'm hesitant to.

There are some die-hard LawnBoy 2-cycle collectors out there that would jump at a chance to get your's. Put it up on Craigslist and see what happens...

Still have my 1993 Model and will be keeping it.

Throw away society. If it is dirty or doesn't work, it get heeved out to the curb, only to be replaced with Chinese made junk.. The intelligent ones will always capitalize on others lack of knowledge.

Last edited:
Spent $17 on a new air filter, spark plug, and primer bulb. Could of got a few things cheaper elsewhere but didn't want to run around town. Started up on the guaranteed second pull lol .. Gave it a pressure washing after. After one more leaf mulching it'll be put up for the winter. Don't know the exact year but that model was made 99-01, guess it's a little newer than the 98 it's replacing!

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Here's a couple more in my neighbours back yard. I imagine he'll get around to fixing them up some day.
laugh.gif

I could use the back wheels from that top one. They are junk.

Originally Posted by ZebRuaj
Originally Posted by jeepman3071

lol.gif

I actually talked down a $125 Toro SR4 down to free. Kept saying deal of the century. $500+ when new. Owner kept saying all it needed was a new spark plug and the wheels would lock when trying to pull back. I said OK. Here's a new plug. Wouldn't start. He flustered then asked what I would pay. Said $0. I already paid $5 for the plug (this was already in my garage stock). He reluctantly let me walk home with it as he had already bought a Honda cause the salesman said Hondas don't have problems.

Cleaned the carb. Adjusted the drive cable. Gave it a wash. Made $200 the next day.

Impressive. That would never happen here. People get offended very easily. I tried to buy a snowblower to fix up last year that was on Craigslist. Turns out it was in a lot worse condition than the pictures and the ad implied. I was extremely polite and just stated that based on the issues I pointed out that were not mentioned in the ad I could only offer XX amount (which was only $20 under his asking price) and he basically flipped out and said he knew what it was worth and if I didn't want to pay that price I could leave.
crazy.gif

It was still on Craigslist up until a month ago...

Spring time is here so getting back around to this mower. Had issue's with the right wheel locking up. Turns out that side is missing the cover for the gear, over time it crammed debris in the gear and shaft. Took alot of cleaning to get it moving right. So if you have on these make sure these covers are in place. Ordered a new cover, step washer, cable and belt for $38. So $55 in this mower so far.. even after setting all winter still fired up on the 2nd pull.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by WhizkidTN
There are some die-hard LawnBoy 2-cycle collectors out there that would jump at a chance to get your's. Put it up on Craigslist and see what happens...

Still have my 1993 Model and will be keeping it.

Yes we are! I mow every week with my 1975 Lawn Boy 5024 Bricktop and my 1973 Lawn Boy 7262. 45 and 47 years old and they still fire up on the first or second pull. We're a strange breed!

L8R,
Matt

1st junk mower of this season. Owner said he ran something over and couldn't get it going again. Sat for a couple years. Blade spun leveled and shaft was straight so I thought maybe it just sheared the pin at the flywheel (nope was still in tact). Noticed water in the carb. Cleaned it out and started right up. Gave it a little scrub and asked the owner if he would like it back. Said "nope. His trash, my treasure." Now to flip it!

[Linked Image]

Back