Status
Not open for further replies.
They weren't kidding it does look very bad in there....here are the pics I got:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Crickey! I wonder if the oil had never been changed by the first owner?

Thinking the same myself. Time to start saving my pennies while it's still running 🤦â€â™‚ï¸

Originally Posted by PimTac

I bet the P.O. "had the oil changed" but the shop they took it to just handed them a bill and didn't do a darn thing! It happens....ALL...THE....TIME.

If not knocking change injector then do 3k oil changes with Mobil. From what I have seen Mobil does best for cleaning. Never know you might get 100k. You can always pressure wash while pan is off and replace stem seals to stop smoking in the morning at least that was Toyota fix for there sludged engine.

DQ, I feel for ya.

There's no way that level of sludge happened in the first year and ~28k miles the vehicle lived unless someone sabatoged the engine.

The other scenario like mentioned is if you paid for oil changes that never happened and I mean like it's never seen an oil change in 50k miles given that level of goo.

There's no oil or cleaner that's going to clean that on the fly.

Oh man, that's terrible. Who would ever think an under 50k mile, 2017 bought in 2019 would look like that?! I wouldn't.

Originally Posted by DiaQui

Thinking the same myself. Time to start saving my pennies while it's still running 🤦â€â™‚ï¸

Sorry if I missed it in this thread but how often did you change the oil in the ~25K miles you owned the vehicle? What oil and filter did you use?

I know at least for the 2017+ Pathfinders, 0w20 is recommended in the OM. I'm running 5w30 in my 2019.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Extended oci's anyone?
laugh.gif

Doubtful. My guess is that wherever the P.O. took the car for oil changes did the usual rip off routine, paid for service and received NOTHING in return, and like most consumers have no real way of knowing that they were bring ripped off.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Extended oci's anyone?
laugh.gif

Doubtful. My guess is that wherever the P.O. took the car for oil changes did the usual rip off routine, paid for service and received NOTHING in return, and like most consumers have no real way of knowing that they were bring ripped off.

The OP stated on page one that he did the oil changes.

"Thanks for all the feedback...waiting on the oil analysis results to come back with my fingers crossed. I've had for just over 20000 miles and have done 4 oil changes (all just below 5k miles)."

Extended oci's anyone?
laugh.gif

It's why I always pull the dipstick before driving away. Because a.) I've found numerous over and under fills and b.) To make sure it looks fresh.

Originally Posted by PimTac

The OP stated on page one that he did the oil changes.

I purchased my vehicle in March 2018 with about 28,9xx miles

There's the issue of the first 28,900 miles though. Like I said I bet whomever the OP went to did NOTHING at all when paid.
I'm telling you from my own personal experience many shops, including indies and even dealerships get paid and do NOT change the oil and filter.
I've had this happen to me at various shops, chain, indie, and dealerships. Neither the oil was changed or the filter replaced! But I check and catch them!
It's a common practice in the US auto service industry and I think it's become worse as costs for disposal and fees increase.

Last edited:
Just to add to the above, if you've ever cut open any of the aftermarket Nissan oil filters, the media can in them is ridiculously small. Like outdoor power equipment filter small. Reason why I mail-order genuine Nissan OFs for my Versa and Pathfinder. They may not be the best filter, but the media can inside them is larger (taller) than all the aftermarkets I've seen for this application.

I guess what I'm gettin' at is, I would have loved to have seen the oil filer from this VQ35DD cut open. If it was aftermarket, it had to be plugged solid in full bypass.

There's the issue of the first 28,900 miles though. Like I said I bet whomever the OP went to did NOTHING at all when paid.

I think the OP said that it was first owned by a rental car company. Generally they're supposed to be pretty good about having the oil changed. I agree with what you said above. Maybe the shop was paid but never did oil changes. But usually with a rental company the car moves around to different locations. So different shops would have it.

I'm in rentals half the year for work and can tell you that these thing aren't serviced. I've had cars that the oil was coal black and the window stickers were 5k overdue. I've had rentals with 4 different brands of tires and even had a dodge van that the oil light was blinking after I drove away with it. Took it back and it was 3 qts low. I personally don't beat on rentals but know I'd never buy one. Much of my business is in philly and Boston and have driven cars with 15k that I wouldn't trade my 20 year old ford truck for.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver

I think the OP said that it was first owned by a rental car company. Generally they're supposed to be pretty good about having the oil changed. I agree with what you said above. Maybe the shop was paid but never did oil changes. But usually with a rental company the car moves around to different locations. So different shops would have it.

I wanted to stop by amd give an update. So I went to pick up the vehicle after it being declined. I advised the service manager that I was in the middle of escalating the process so he took my card info but left the service order open and didnt charge anything. I contacted the company I bought the car from and they said maintenance records are "proprietary information" and they need to talk to legal and the woman a week prior just said get contact info and they will fax it to the dealer or Nissan, so I asked for the manager. The woman on the phone was very friendly and took my info down and said she will follow up after she gets more information. The guy from the dealership called and told me she had asked him the following week for all the info and a quote on a new and used engine which seemed weird since I just wanted the records to prove to Nissan everything was maintained. I received a call from her then from him that the warranty company they use had provided him with the reference number and payment info to go ahead and INSTALL A NEW ENGINE! Which he had already ordered and will be ready next week. It was by no means expected, but a pleasant surprise.
I appreciate everyone's feedback along this journey, thank you all.

@DiaQui

Thanks for the update, let us know how things go with the engine replacement.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back