What happened to the real pickup trucks with regular cabs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dareo
TourX may be classified as midsize but its huge. Park it next to a Pacifica and its only a few inches smaller. No way i'd want it to be any bigger.

It might be huge to you but compared to a 70's station wagon like the Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser, it's a compact.

With the Vista Cruiser you needed a intercom to speak to passengers in the third row.

My brother bought this several weeks ago. Has a V8, 6.5' bed and tow mirrors.
Click on the pic to make it bigger.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Those 4-door pickups are mostly mall crawlers and with the 4 foot beds, only good for weekend Home Depot mulch runs. My last truck was a longbed that could actually haul stuff in one trip.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Originally Posted by atikovi
Those 4-door pickups are mostly mall crawlers and with the 4 foot beds, only good for weekend Home Depot mulch runs. My last truck was a longbed that could actually haul stuff in one trip.

If it is a half ton.
[Linked Image]

Most 3/4 tons and up have at least a 6'4" inch bed.

When I picked up my truck they had 2 new regular cab Chevys on the lot and it is a small dealership.
We have a larger one here that always has 4 or 5.

Just depends on what your needs are. I like having the 4 doors for camping because I can get 6 people in the truck comfortably.

Last edited:
The reality is that most buyers need a pickup as well as a second family hauler and commuter. If a family of four goes on vacation hauling a big trailer then a four door pickup is a great choice.

ls1mike, how long is the bed on your new truck? I am curious if the long bed crew cab pickups make it harder to back into camping spaces.

Now, i think there could be a market for a small single cab truck. Trucks in all segments have gotten bigger. I believe a small truck like the old mazda b2000 would be a hit with first home buyers as their second vehicle. Small enough to fit in the drive yet you can get a bags of mulch in the back.

Originally Posted by nascarnation
The reality is that 4dr pickups have become the new family sedan. And those short beds are still larger than most any sedan trunk.
A big percentage of the 2.4 million pickups sold last year are actually family "cars".
Americans prefer large vehicles (assuming that fuel prices are similar to current).

Yep. A 4-door mini-bed Pickup is America's favorite Lifestyle Vehicle.

I bought my Tundra cuz you can't leave anything in the back or it will get stolen.
A regular cab is pretty much useless for what I need a truck for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I bought my Tundra cuz you can't leave anything in the back or it will get stolen.

Sounds like you need a sedan with a big trunk.

Originally Posted by Traction
I have never had a pickup truck that didn't have a regular cab with either a 8 foot box, or even a 6 1/2 foot bed. I have had many over the years, and now I can't find any. A crew cab truck with a 5 1/2 foot bed is pretty useless in my opinion as a truck for hauling stuff. Not much better than the Tahoe cop truck I currently have. I like it, but I can't haul much, and am ready to go back to a real pickup.

thumbsup2.gif
Agree with the above - order it so you get exactly what you want.

Originally Posted by Elkins45

Sounds like you need a sedan with a big trunk.

Maybe he's driving in an area where a car couldn't easily drive, but the truck handles with ease? Or his stuff is awkward and hard to get in and out of a trunk? We tried the whole "sedan with a big trunk" thing, that lasted less than a year.

You can get a diamondback locking cover and keep stuff dry and secure in the bed. They also get in the way and have to come off for large items.

I routinely chuckle at pickup drivers hauling stuff on the weekends, in the rain and snow, with their sofas and drywall getting wet ...‚

My gear stays watertight and locked up. 4x8 sheets fit perfectly.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by nascarnation
The reality is that 4dr pickups have become the new family sedan. And those short beds are still larger than most any sedan trunk.
A big percentage of the 2.4 million pickups sold last year are actually family "cars".
Americans prefer large vehicles (assuming that fuel prices are similar to current).

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly right in my opinion.

Originally Posted by E365
I routinely chuckle at pickup drivers hauling stuff on the weekends, in the rain and snow, with their sofas and drywall getting wet ...‚

My gear stays watertight and locked up. 4x8 sheets fit perfectly.

[Linked Image]

You make too much sense! Stop or you'll cost the big 3 lots of profits. Hahaaa.
Seriously though you are one of the few that makes sense with your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back