Old school transmission woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have been told the whining noise my car (1970 Chevelle SS/ Turbo 400 trans) makes mostly in park but occasionally in drive and reverse is being caused by a faulty pump in my transmission. Noise sometimes is real loud but on occasion there is no noise at all. Transmission shop stated that if the noise is not that bad and if I do not have shifting issues I could leave it alone. I however, am of the opinion that its not a good thing to drive around with a pump going bad as it could lead to some really serious issues. I am considering getting the unit rebuilt now to be on the safe side but by a different sop. Opinions?

If it has to be rebuilt anyway, you could do it now...or wait for it to fail. How long could that be? 2 weeks? 2 months? 2 years? Might get lucky and never have an issue. You COULD technically pull it and change just the pump. Just seems like a lot of labor to miss an opportunity to do a full overhaul.

I was told the pump might be getting worn out on my 2002 Ranger's 5R44E 40K miles ago, due to some indicator on the flush machine...it is still shifting perfectly.

Slipping that can't be addressed by adjusting the fluid level is probably the point where you need to deal with it...prepare for it, but I wouldn't tear into it yet.

My Mom had a 1977 Olds Delta 98. The trans was whining horrible. Changed the filter, refilled with fresh trans fluid + 1 can TransX. The transmission was then quiet as a church mouse. Was still quiet almost 8 yrs later when it got sold. I don't know if the filter, some new oil or the TransX did what but it worked. Have you done this yet?

If it were my car I would change the fluid and filter, put Max Life ATF and Lubegard Red in it, replace the vacuum modulator (because of the other problem), and drive it for a while. What is the worst thing that can happen? You end-up having to rebuild it anyway. But maybe, just maybe, that will take care of the problem. I am a big believer in LubeGard Red. It is one of the few additives that is actually good and actually works, it is definitely NOT snake oil!
If you are worried about metal shavings getting in the ATF, install a Magnefine filter (the real deal, not a knock-off) in the transmission cooler line.

Last edited:
I agree with rebuilding now. My brother had a Chrysler 727 transmission that had one out of two bad pumps....It destroyed itself in short order.

I would fix it properly and do it soon. A 1970 Chevelle SS is definitely a car to keep and maintain. If it were a 1970 4 door sedan I would say change the fluid and filter and drive it until it blows.

Originally Posted by wag123
If it were my car I would change the fluid and filter, put Max Life ATF and Lubegard Red in it, replace the vacuum modulator (because of the other problem), and drive it for a while. What is the worst thing that can happen? You end-up having to rebuild it anyway. But maybe, just maybe, that will take care of the problem. I am a big believer in LubeGard Red. It is one of the few additives that is actually good and actually works, it is definitely NOT snake oil!
If you are worried about metal shavings getting in the ATF, install a Magnefine filter (the real deal, not a knock-off) in the transmission cooler line.

great stuff lube gard red

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Time for a built 200 4R.

That's funny !
smile.gif

I say time to go M21 and increase the value of your car by 35%

Can you shift a MT? Those TH400 are strong but big power sappers.

Swapping the TH400 core for a built 700R4 may be a trick that works for you.

Last edited:
Wag has a cheap and easy option … but will be interesting to see what Chris says …

Gonna stick with the 400. I have had the 700R4 swap done before for the overdrive in a different car. Overall I like what I have with the exception of the issue and want to keep the car numbers matching. I have been getting quotes at around $1500 for a rebuild with premium parts including a new torque converter.

Buy a Faribanks kit and rebuild it yourself, its very simple. The only challenge is removing the snap rings, only a couple of them are difficult. A soft part kit, band, sprags and a set of planets and its done. The pump is not expensive either.

That Turbo 400 was a really almost bullet proof transmission. I would rebuild it. Reason being that tolerances of hydraulic components are so close that just about any wear = out of tolerance. You will have to find a really good shop to do the work. Most places fix automatic transmissions just good enough to get them past the warranty period. About warranties - how good a warranty is is inversely proportional to the amount of fine print.

Whine like that could be from a little air getting into the pump, I'd try changing the fluid and filter first and when you do make sure the new filter seal seats properly there's not an old seal still jammed up in the hole or anything.

I had the filter, fluid and pan (ribbed with drain) changed a year ago and no issues until recently. Fluid is not burnt and trans shifts fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back