.32 Self-Defense Round?

If loading lead bullets for hunting, one is very foolish indeed to load lead round nose bullets. A large (wide?), flat meplat is the best in a non-expanding lead bullet for hunting because it delivers energy to the animal better, resulting in a quicker and more humane kill.

That understanding should be applied here, IMO. Prefer wadcutters over lead round nose.

DO MAKE CERTAIN TO GET THE CORRECT AMMUNITION FOR YOUR FIREARM.

It's a .32 S&W LONG. Not a Top Break.

So, better than a mean look, sharp stick, or even a 32 S&W.

H&R was once a fine gun company. I'm sure it's a fine gun.

Even though it's a Long, it's still pretty weak for SD, so penetration, not expansion, is the concern. LRN is a good choice for a bullet at those velocities.

Buffalo Bore loads ammo to the max SAAMI pressure, and even their .32 S&W Long throws a 100-115 GR bullet at 800-900 FPS. About 165-190 Ftlbs.

I would suggest that you (OP) take a look at Buffalo Bore's website for more information on what ammo they have. Their 10mm and .38 Super are top of the line, and what I choose to carry, personally. I think you'll like what they've got when you compare with the rest of the loadings...

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted by bubbatime
Honestly, you can get a Taurus 38 special revolver under $200 now after rebate. Thats a huge step up in performance, with a huge selection in ammo. I'd go that route.

Originally Posted by askani79705
https://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesson-and-wesson-m-p9-shield-9mm-3-1-8-1-fs.html?source=igodigital

Honestly, these are the best answers.

Use that thing for playing around, sure, but get a modern pistol in a 'modern' caliber if you truly need a carry piece.

Using deductive reasoning, a person with an old HR revolver, that doesn't know what ammo to load in it, is basically NOT a gun person and probably doesn't know much about them. Hence the recommendation for a 6 shot revolver, and not a small 9mm semi auto. The shield 9mm, while a decent enough gun, is a terrible gun for a person that has no training, won't get any training, etc.

So honestly, a subcompact 9mm is a terrible recommendation and a revolver is the best answer. In THIS case.

We had a fairly modern H&R .32(not sure which but it wasn't H&R mag) revolver around. I think my sister still has it. It was a serviceable gun. It wasn't very elegant for sure but I would trust it to go bang.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
So honestly ... a revolver is the best answer. In THIS case.

I agree, and a 32 is a better choice for a small, concealable revolver than a 38, particularly for someone who isn't an avid shooter. That said, I _hate_ it when people on gun boards reply to a person's question by ignoring their actual question and then inserting their own pet preferences. SOOO... (-:

OP, your gun shop guy gave you good advice on the ammunition. Go with the wadcutters.

If anyone is interested, particularly those concerned about penetration of a 32 S&W Long wadcutter load, go to roughly the 10 minute mark of the YouTube video I've linked below, to see gel testing of that load. Penetration is excellent, and a wadcutter remains a better choice than a round nose for the application specified.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz_m4M8CAe0

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Marco620
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Get a 12 gauge shotgun .

How does he conceal this at a card table??? LOL

Get a 410 revolver or 410 bond. lol

Back