Thinking of getting a cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by SirTanon
Our most recent cat, a beautiful Russian Blue girl, sleeps in the bed with me, ever night, pressed up right against me.

Kiki does the same with me too. She starts out on top with my arm around her, bracing her back against me, and massages me till I fall asleep. Then she gets under the covers and wraps her arms and legs around me and falls asleep. Then every morning she headbutts me to wake me up. If that doesn't work she'll paw me in the face. If still I won't wake up, she sits in a tight ball on top of my head haha!!

She's also at the door every day when I come home from work to greet me.

Yes,cats are absolutely wonderful!!

[Linked Image]

Can anyone tell me why the center of their eyes are thin at times? Thought I read it's likethat in sunny conditions as their eyesight is better in the dark.

The pupils change size to control the amount of light passed through. Cats have it vertical, tigers have it round like us.

SirTanon wrote that his Russian Blue sleeps next to him each night. I'm not surprised. When people grump that "Cats are aloof," I wonder, "Dude, what kind of cats do you know?" Maybe ferals are aloof, but none of my feline roommates has ever been that way. Either they slept with me or sat with me, or were always in the same room, or followed me when I moved to another room. Or they come and sit near me at the computer. The late Tatiana the Wonder Siberian would leap into my lap at my desk and sit up like a statue, so I'd have to reach around her to type. (She'd also wake me at 2 am, wanting to play, so that during the week I had to lock her out of the bedroom.)

Here is Wolf, the 14-lb. (not fat) black devil:

[Linked Image]

And this is Chekov the Siberian, looking as though Cthulhu has possessed him:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral

[Linked Image]

He's literally the spitting image of my Hobby, except Hobby has even a couple more pounds of fluff on him!

Storm has decided that on the days that I sir out the children's bedrooms, this is her place...
[Linked Image]

Makes me a bit sad...but thats life now.

[Linked Image]

Waiting to 'tag' me as I get out of the shower

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
SirTanon wrote that his Russian Blue sleeps next to him each night. I'm not surprised. When people grump that "Cats are aloof," I wonder, "Dude, what kind of cats do you know?" Maybe ferals are aloof, but none of my feline roommates has ever been that way. Either they slept with me or sat with me, or were always in the same room, or followed me when I moved to another room. Or they come and sit near me at the computer. The late Tatiana the Wonder Siberian would leap into my lap at my desk and sit up like a statue, so I'd have to reach around her to type. (She'd also wake me at 2 am, wanting to play, so that during the week I had to lock her out of the bedroom.)

[Linked Image]

And this is Chekov the Siberian, looking as though Cthulhu has possessed him:

[Linked Image]

That black cat is a handsome dude.

The black and white one reminds me of one we had as a kid. One of the best cats we ever had and was originally caught as a mean feral cat.

Black cats are in demand by the psycos for the evil frigging things they do. That's what a shelter told us. If you see a nice one, give it a good home.

Originally Posted by rekit
Black cats are in demand by the psycos for the evil frigging things they do. That's what a shelter told us. If you see a nice one, give it a good home.

Years ago, the local shelters refused to place a black cat in October, probably for this exact reason. So a cat who came in during late September, I guess, would have a reprieve until November 1. Nowadays, swamped by kittens and cats, the shelters go all out and never mind it's October.

I've been trying to get Wolf, the big black guy above, to pose in the window with a light behind him on 10/31. So far he remains unconvinced.

Thank you to all who posted pictures of their beautiful cats(is there any other kind?) I have had a love affair with cats for decades. Perfect design. I tell my cat purring on my lap every evening that I am looking at a living thing whose DNA out dates mine by eons. Smarter too.

Had two I thought were part Norwegian Forest cats. They had the fur and one of them liked to be around running water. Wife thought me nuts but we live about 20 miles from Norway, IL. Gottem young and Not afraid of house guests. Feedem Fromm and PureVita. A little pricey but one barfed on the stuff with alotta cereal

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Thank you to all who posted pictures of their beautiful cats(is there any other kind?) I have had a love affair with cats for decades. Perfect design. I tell my cat purring on my lap every evening that I am looking at a living thing whose DNA out dates mine by eons. Smarter too.

I'm reminded of the insurance commercial with the "Mayhem" actor: "Hey. I'm your cat. Ever since you brought me home that day I've been plotting to destroy you. . . . You think this is love? This is a billion years of tiger DNA just ready to pounce."

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Adopt a black one, they generally have a hard time getting adopted.

Yep. I had a 3 legged black cat who adopted his human when I walked by the pet adoption at Petsmart. He pawed at the window with his one front leg as I walked by, and after thinking "I don't need another cat... I don't need another cat", curiosity got the better of me and I felt sorry for the little guy since he was black and missing a leg. They got him out and darned if he didn't curl up in my lap and start purring away. He found his human. He was very friendly and got along with the other two cats. All they could tell me was that he was a stray and he'd been picked up with an injured leg, but they couldn't save it. He had no trouble getting around though; he loved chasing the laser pointer and he could keep up with the other two.

Originally Posted by Dave Sherman
Yep. I had a 3 legged black cat who adopted his human when I walked by the pet adoption at Petsmart. He pawed at the window with his one front leg as I walked by

With his back leg?

I had a friend with a three-legged cat, he named him Tripod.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Dave Sherman
Yep. I had a 3 legged black cat who adopted his human when I walked by the pet adoption at Petsmart. He pawed at the window with his one front leg as I walked by

With his back leg?

I had a friend with a three-legged cat, he named him Tripod.

His only FRONT leg, like I said.

Get a tuxedo cat.

But in all seriousness, three of the best things you can do with a cat is a fairly big scratching post/cat condo, UNSCENTED clumping cat litter(I'm a fan of Fresh Step) and a Litter Genie(it's basically a Diaper Genie for cats).

I have a 14 year troublemaker who lives with my parents. She's using a hand-me-down scratching post/lounge combo from a friend who moved away. She's aged with grace...

Originally Posted by wemay
Try not to get a Calico. They are rarely affectionate and often cantankerous (i've had two and loved them dearly but they are not the best for beginners).

Oddly enough, Calico's are 90% female too.

Male Calico's must be VERY happy.
Tired. But happy.

Here's our outside cat guarding her food bowl.
(it's empty most of the time and she does not eat much)

12CADBAC-4E98-4974-8638-21D84B90A6CC.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back