Linglong Crosstour

Originally Posted by nthach
Traditionally, British cars came with Dunlop while the French and Germans used Michelin and Conti respectively. The Americans were interchangable between Goodyear/BFG/Uniroyal/Firestone and the Japanese used Bridgestone or Yokohama. Racing sponsorships were different.

I think the 1970s -1980s was when things gotten weird - the Japanese licensed the Dunlop name(or Dunlop set up shop in Japan because of Honda and the motorbike), Pirelli earned fitments from BMW, Mercedes and Jaguar. Porsche and Ferrari were using Bridgestone who would become an F1 tire supplier. Honda was proudly installing Michelin from the factory on the Accord.

Dunlop's were the other brand he was fanatical about when it came to tires... told him my BFG's would smoke his Bridgestone's and Dunlop's any day of the week!...boy, you wanna see fireworks and cursing elevated to an art form.. just pizz off a Scotsman!...‚

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by HangFire

Lol I lived through a Firestone 500 sidewall blowout at highway speeds. And we retired a set of 721's early as well.

Not sure what a 521 is.
smile.gif

Holy smokes.. that had to be scary. If I remember that was the same defect that killed a few people right? The sidewall blowing out at speed.

It was, the car was sideways and all over the road. My big brother cooly wrestled it down until it was under control, I was too young to drive and just watched in awe. Then helped him change it.

We are 2,000 miles into our trip with the CrossTours's on the trailer. They are performing flawlessly and wear in incredibly minimal, despite the normal effects of our load-balancing hitch. (For 18 years of using these hitches, I am yet to get 10k miles out of trailer tires across three different campers.) So far, these tires look like they may surpass the 10k mark. We also drove in two rain storms that were torrential and very dangerous with a ton of standing water. The whole rig was firmly planted through it all.

Tires on the Benz will be mounted on Saturday.

Alright... the tires have been on the Benz for a little over 2 weeks now. Work commutes and just driving the car in general has been very pleasant. They are smooth and quiet, yet responsive. Running on the interstate the other day, at 80mph..... the tires performed great. We have about 1,000 miles on the tires and there is zero noticeable wear.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Warning: this is just opinion for light passenger cars and experience shows that things can turn out different regarding cargo van tires/trailer tires

I had a set of LingLong L688 , 205/50 R17 on a FWD car. Worst low cost tires I ever had. Threw them away after 2000 kilometers as soon as I was able to afford a premium brand pair of tires (went for Continental). I had an Antyre low cost set before the LingLong, they were not great but not as bad as the L688.

From this on, I driven many low cost tires and it seems to me that when they are in small dimensions (185/60 R15...) They are bearable. Once the width gets to 195/205 and height 55 or less... Disaster is waiting to happen.

I had great performance (for the price) With Sunwide RS0/RS1, and Ovation.

Slightly higher priced, I enjoyed Avon, Maxxis, Toyo, Kléber, KUMHO, Cooper, Yokohama, nexen, Uniroyal, general. But at that price range I'll avoid hankook, Firestone, Fallen, BF Goodrich, Nankang. I'd add some money and push right to premium tires (Michelin, continental, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Dunlop, Pirelli)

Last edited:
We now have 10,000 miles on the Crosswinds on the wife Mercedes. She is adamant they are the best tires she has ever had on the suv. I haven't measured, but visual inspect shows very, very little wear.

Since then, I purchased some 235/85r16's for my single axle camper trailer. We put over 3,000 miles on them this summer with various trips and they were excellent with the lowest wear of any tire I have had on the camper.

Then comes last weekend.... I have an opportunity to purchase some beautiful 20's for my Ram EcoDiesel. Where did I go for tires???? Yep, back to Walmart and another set of Crosswinds in a 275/65r20. I LOVE them. They ride so much better than the 255/80r17's that were on the truck.

Here are some pics......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm glad that there appears to be some good Chinese tires. Tires are getting very expensive and it's good to know there are low-cost options.

And I don't care these are imports are costing some (alleged) American jobs.

I own a Hyundai and my $50,000.00 pick up was made in Mexico.

Thanks for the 10k mile update, I appreciate it. Perhaps at some point you'll update with tread depth info on the MB. You're wife certainly putting some miles on that ride.

I can't say much about the ride of the Ram as I'd expect that aspect/profile tire would ride better than the 80s. I am curious how you arrived at that size tire? Also did WM mount the tires?

Thanks for the update!

Nice looking rubber for the Ram. I would not hesitate to run that brand on any of my vehicles.

I too question the load-Es. Some co-workers of mine fitted their Ram 1500's with 'off brand' load-E's thinking they'd wear better. Not really the case.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Why in the world did you put load range E tires on a 1500?

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^there is no logical reason(s).

Notice how the sipes only go down 1 or 2 / 32nd in the tread blocks. I've been noting that is pretty typical with the China and other lower end tires. I guess it's too expensive to make a mold with full sipes and it looks almost the same as full depth sipe during a casual observation.

Originally Posted by Cressida
Notice how the sipes only go down 1 or 2 / 32nd in the tread blocks. I've been noting that is pretty typical with the China and other lower end tires. I guess it's too expensive to make a mold with full sipes and it looks almost the same as full depth sipe during a casual observation.

Bcs it is expensive, it requires better compound etc. Bridgestone does this on Blizzak's. Few days ago I was looking at WS90 in Costco and it seems that sipes are still going only half way through, unlike in their LM series snow tires.

Why in the world did you put load range E tires on a 1500?

1. They wear forever
2. They run really smooth with 45-50 psi, yet I can push them up to 70psi when I am loaded heavy with the trailer
3. I have never had a flat, even with rough off-road driving with a 10 ply

Not a real mystery and pretty dirt simple.

My son liked the tires so much, he found some 20's and put the exact same tires on his 3500 4x4 Cummins.

===========================

We run summer/winter tires on the ML250. We pulled off the Crosswinds at Thanksgiving and they are now stored in the garage. We have 17" rims and snow/mud tires for winter driving.

===========================

If you put 70psi in using stock wheels (probably rated for 45-50), you should be arrested.

The stock wheels / tires will hold 45 or so pounds at max pressure. Which is more than enough to handle max payload. 70 psi is way beyond over kill.

Last edited:
Back