06 Scion TC 5w30 Magnatec...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey.. haven't posted a lot lately, been busy, but did have time to send in my 10month run (2944 miles) of 5w30 Magnatec to Blackstone. This is for my 06 Scion TC with the 2az-fe engine. No burning oil, or leaks. The oil filter used is a Toyota YZZF1. I really didn't plan on letting the oil go this long, usually it's every 6 months that I change the oil but just got busy. Lots of stop/go traffic with a couple of longer highway trips thrown in. It was interesting to see the Iron up to 7 but well below the average of 11.

Also noticed not a lot of fuel dilution (yes I know Blackstone eye-balls it), but the flashpoint (395)and viscosity looks decent (9.67cst), I did a VOA on Magnatec, viscosity for 5w30 is 10.25csT, flashpoint 425 deg F, tbn 7.1. I don't think this looks that bad..

So.. everyone's thoughts?

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
The UOA on your Scion TC looks pretty good to me. How's your Scion doing with oil consumption? What are you future plans for OCI length?

hey thanks for the replies.. I'm thinking I'm going to do what I've done since I first got it (in 06) back tot he 6-month intervals. The only time I saw "consumption" was when the oil I was using had a NOACK above 13%. That's when I thought I had a leak/oil consumption problem but it turns out the oil was actually burning off! I think Toyota ran the 2az-fe engine hotter because of the sludging problem in previous generations of this engine. Once I got an oil under that NOACK value, no more issues.

I've also heard that the water pump failure (Toyota redesigned the bearing in the updated replacement water pump) would lead to the head bolts pulling out of the block. Luckily I haven't had that issue and yep I replaced the water pump with the updated part once mine failed.

Originally Posted by ad244
Change every 3 years at that rate.

never thought of that, I probably wouldn't but nice to know I could!

ya that's what I was thinking bbhero.. that there's nothing to really say about the UOA.. which is good, no news is good news! I'm amazed at how good the toyota engines are, unless it's just because I've babied this since the beginning (am the original owner). Ya I'm happy that I found (thanks to BITOG) the magnatec! Works well in both cars (96 civic and the tC). Thanks for the reply!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by harry j
Zero Potassium! Outstanding!

thanks harry! I think you're saying that no coolant was showing which indicates the head hasn't lifted off the block like a lot of 2az-fe engines do?

Originally Posted by dave1251
36 month oil change looks in order to me.

thanks dave.. yeah I was surprised how good it is for 10months! Guess they're right when they say Toyota makes a good engine!

Hi Researcher
It looks good to me. You could always do annual oil changes, simple to remember, ample life in the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back