Alternative for Lexus Toyota WS

I certainly wouldn't pay that much for a jug of synthetic WS when a $17 jug of Maxlife is full synthetic, and works as good or better. If you're concerned about going to Maxlife and want to stick with a WS, just do a drain and fill every 25k and run Lubeguard Red to bolster the detergency/temperature stability of the non-synthetic fluid.

I have a 6 quart case of Toyota WS fluid that I would sell you for just the cost of shipping. I have a half dozen or so of the Toyota OEM cartridge oil filters also. Same deal. The wife's RAV4 was totaled recently so I no longer need them.

Unlike Dexron, WS is not a spec. It is really nice that Toyota doesn't do this whole spec. thing with motor oil, but it leaves you guessing when it comes to ATF. Heard enough from people that sed Maxlife did so with good results.

Interestingly, when I searched rockauto.com for fluid for my 4runner, it recommends Aisin WS and also a Liquid moly product and AC Delco Dex VI.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I have WS in both of my A750F units. One has well over 600+ kmiles. Full swap every 100k miles at the lexus dealer

Why do people think using nonOEM fluid is good? I am not trying to be a smart aleck.

Search Toyota ATF Weber State on youtube. John Kelly has some great videos on Ford, GM, Chrysler and Toyota ATF's. He does the history of how ATF's have evolved over the last 60 years.

In Australia a typical WS replacement, widely used, is Penrite ATF LV. That's what I'm using in our 2 yotas, both with the dreaded U660E P.O.S. transmission. No issues at all, just need to get the level right. They're not that picky on the fluid used as long as it's close enough to WS specs.

Does anyone know how maxlife synthetic atf compares to Amsoils synthetic atf signature series viscosity wise? And also Cst ? I'm not even sure what cst is but am kinda thinking it has something to do with weight or viscosity.

Originally Posted by R1jake
Does anyone know how maxlife synthetic atf compares to Amsoils synthetic atf signature series viscosity wise? And also Cst ? I'm not even sure what cst is but am kinda thinking it has something to do with weight or viscosity.

I have researched and figured out the answer to these questions.

I contacted Idemitsu and an engineer confirmed TLS-LV is their Toyota/Lexus WS equivalent that is full synthetic. That's what I'm using in my Lexus instead of Ravenol which is more expensive.

Good to hear. I recently started using Idemitsu TLS-LV in my 2012 Lexus and it's been great. I was a WS purist previous, but with everyone using Maxlife I figured a WS clone has to be a step up. I have been very disappointed with every Toyota/Lexus transmission service at 50k or more using WS. It's just not a great ATF imo. The argument of "my transmission has lasted 250,000 miles" is so dumb and worn out.... yeah it's a Aisin trans duh. Wouldn't credit the crappy Ws for the longevity.

We've got a new-to-us GS 350 in the driveway. I'm still working out kinks covered by the Carmax warranty.... they have treated me very well for all the repairs were finding with it. Eventually, amsoil low-vis is probably what it will see. I've used amsoil in all of our ATs in my own and extended family, and simply never has any issues with it.

M

I have always in the past been in the "OEM trans fluid only" camp in a number of different vehicles over the years. I am slowly evolving.
I am using my daughter's Corolla as a test unit. It has 196k miles on the original fluid. I bought a filter and a four quart jug of Maxlife and plan on doing a change this weekend.
It has the U341E trans. I have not heard of anyone having issues with the Maxlife fluid in that trans.

Originally Posted by RoyFJ
WS compatible fully synthetic and made by AISIN

Too bad we can't get that in the US. I'm sure it's great stuff ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Back