Timing Cover Leak in Toyota/Lexus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 4WD
Why did GM get drug into this … ?

'cuz it's the typical thread derail. If we wait long enough I'm sure we can complain about using all seasons in winter, or calling winter tires "snow tires".

Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by thooks
Originally Posted by edyvw
Are you sure that is Toyota? That would be impossible according to BITOG'ers.

The difference is that a Toyota owner knows to research a repair because the whole vehicle isn't going to self-destruct at 100k miles like a GM.
Exactly. That is one reason why I doubt that edy actually owns a Toyota. Most Toyota owners would have researched the mirror problem that he is claiming to have with his Sienna and found out that the problem can be rectified quite easily by anyone with a little mechanical aptitude and about an hour of time to spare.

Yep, I did research. It is there to remind me of my Yugo.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Not all engine/trans R&R jobs are created equal, Toyota/Lexus are generally pretty easy!

Your almost as bad as the Japanese/Toyota fanboys Eddy.......On a constant RANT.

Well one buys Toyota/Lexus, and than gets slapped with 20hr work and still drives microwave.
If someone posted how BMW inline 6 needs valve cover gasket change, there would be 5 pages of how it is expensive (and it is cheaper actually and easier to do), type of material to depreciation etc.
There is another thread about MB on this subforum and it went into 5 pages in no time, with usual things like: nothing unusual, that is why I drive American iron (that is though funny) etc.
But here we are venturing into every possible rationalization of this issue to point where reliability is measured by ignoring the problems.

Well....Of course a I6 valve cover gasket will be easier than the rear bank cover on a transverse V6. But how else would you build a low slung minivan with the interior volume of a Sienna/Odyssey/Caravan without employing a transverse engine? You want good NA power?.....A V6 is the answer.

The main reason the 2GR-FE timing cover calls for so much time isn't so much removing the engine.....The Oil Pump is built into/bolted to the cover, Requiring you to drop the upper oil pan.
The service manual calls for separating the engine from the transaxle & mounting the engine on a stand, I just suspend the engine/transaxle & remove the upper pan.

Why slam American Iron? I really like the ones I own & serve my needs quite well, But so do my Toyotas which are most certainly appliances!

Not all engine/trans R&R jobs are created equal, Toyota/Lexus are generally pretty easy!

Your almost as bad as the Japanese/Toyota fanboys Eddy.......On a constant RANT.

Well one buys Toyota/Lexus, and than gets slapped with 20hr work and still drives microwave.
If someone posted how BMW inline 6 needs valve cover gasket change, there would be 5 pages of how it is expensive (and it is cheaper actually and easier to do), type of material to depreciation etc.
There is another thread about MB on this subforum and it went into 5 pages in no time, with usual things like: nothing unusual, that is why I drive American iron (that is though funny) etc.
But here we are venturing into every possible rationalization of this issue to point where reliability is measured by ignoring the problems.

Well....Of course a I6 valve cover gasket will be easier than the rear bank cover on a transverse V6. But how else would you build a low slung minivan with the interior volume of a Sienna/Odyssey/Caravan without employing a transverse engine? You want good NA power?.....A V6 is the answer.

The main reason the 2GR-FE timing cover calls for so much time isn't so much removing the engine.....The Oil Pump is built into/bolted to the cover, Requiring you to drop the upper oil pan.
The service manual calls for separating the engine from the transaxle & mounting the engine on a stand, I just suspend the engine/transaxle & remove the upper pan.

Why slam American Iron? I really like the ones I own & serve my needs quite well, But so do my Toyotas which are most certainly appliances!

I am very well aware why engine is positioned in HL, Sienna etc. the way it is.
However, that was not my point.

I am very well aware why engine is positioned in HL, Sienna etc. the way it is.
However, that was not my point.

What is your point Eddy? Toyota owners troll European owners....So you troll Toyota owners?.....Then as a twist, Japanese & European vehicles owners troll Domestic vehicle owners?

What is your point Eddy? Toyota owners troll European owners....So you troll Toyota owners?.....Then as a twist, Japanese & European vehicles owners troll Domestic vehicle owners?

I already stated my point. One buys microwave gets a bill for Audi S4.

I would try some high mileage oils with seal swell to see if it reduces the weeping. My 2003 Tacoma has a slight weep from the valve cover. Its not enough of a leak to warrant the gasket change at this time. I am experimenting with Mobil 1 5w30 HM to see if it makes a difference. The vehicle only uses 1/4 quart in a 10,000 mile OCI.

Exactly. That is one reason why I doubt that edy actually owns a Toyota. Most Toyota owners would have researched the mirror problem that he is claiming to have with his Sienna and found out that the problem can be rectified quite easily by anyone with a little mechanical aptitude and about an hour of time to spare.
So, let me get this straight. Let's assume for a minute that you do actually own a Sienna. You researched the loose mirror problem you have been relentlessly complaining about, found out what the simple fix is, and then you didn't fix the problem because you wanted to remind yourself of the Yugo that you own? Comparing the build quality of a Toyota to the build quality of a Yugo because a mirror supplier/manufacturer didn't apply Loctite to three screws that then managed worked their way loose is ridiculous, even by your standards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNAa02XV2uA
I wonder if the same mirror supplier/manufacturer Gentex also sells mirrors to VW and BMW. HMMM. Could be.

I already stated my point. One buys microwave gets a bill for Audi S4.

ROFL.

Regardless of what people say these comments are just golden.
crackmeup2.gif

So... should I run 0W-16 in a vehicle specced for 5w-30 because it's finally under 50 degrees in the mornings?!!!??!??!

18.gif

Last edited:
So, let me get this straight. Let's assume for a minute that you do actually own a Sienna. You researched the loose mirror problem you have been relentlessly complaining about, found out what the simple fix is, and then you didn't fix the problem because you wanted to remind yourself of the Yugo that you own? Comparing the build quality of a Toyota to the build quality of a Yugo because a mirror supplier/manufacturer didn't apply Loctite to three screws that then managed worked their way loose is ridiculous, even by your standards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNAa02XV2uA
I wonder if the same mirror supplier/manufacturer Gentex also sells mirrors to VW and BMW. HMMM. Could be.

IDK man, when I bought Sienna I was expecting that unprecedented Toyota QC. Now I have to screw mirrors, fix rattling windows. Someone suggested before I should upgrade audio. I am afraid windows are going to drop down with JBL the way it is. With upgraded system, whole car might disintegrate, and two kids inside.

Edy may we suggest you go buy another van maybe from another manufacturer if your Toyota doesn't fit your expectations. Time to sell it and move on.

Originally Posted by Amkeer
I would try some high mileage oils with seal swell to see if it reduces the weeping. My 2003 Tacoma has a slight weep from the valve cover. Its not enough of a leak to warrant the gasket change at this time. I am experimenting with Mobil 1 5w30 HM to see if it makes a difference. The vehicle only uses 1/4 quart in a 10,000 mile OCI.

Seal swell won't work on the topic leak because it's not a gasket. The timing cover is sealed with form in place gasket...similar to Permatex Ultra Grey or Black gasket maker.

Edy may we suggest you go buy another van maybe from another manufacturer if your Toyota doesn't fit your expectations. Time to sell it and move on.

That is all same malarky, different packaging.

Not sure what that means... all of them are the same?

Did you try the Caravan? It's a bit of a BITOG darling: Pentastar, no DI, no CVT, decent price, not a Toyota/Honda, etc.

Originally Posted by supton

Not sure what that means... all of them are the same?

Did you try the Caravan? It's a bit of a BITOG darling: Pentastar, no DI, no CVT, decent price, not a Toyota/Honda, etc.

Well, Sienna does not have CVT and 2015 is not DI. Actually in grand scheme of things, engine and transmission are best parts. Everything else is an afterthought.
Reason why I went Sienna route is AWD. That was deal breaker. Otherwise I would sacrifice space but get Atlas. Still, I would get it again as practicality is really good combined with AWD. Thing is learning to live with this POS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back