Automotive Oscilloscope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hola to every one,

I really enjoy working on cars and the time has come to add an oscilloscope to my tools. Can you recommend one and like to keep it
around 250 dollars max. I see lots of PC base scopes but reading through the reviews they seem not to like windows 10. I no longer have a note book w/ windows 7 unless I purchase one.

Any way, I am open to any ideas and thanks for the great info.

Be warned that to become proficient on a scope is about 10x maybe 20x as hard as becoming proficient on a DVM.

And this comes from someone whose Dad worked at Bell Labs and taught me a lot about electronics, motors, life.

Last edited:
Tektronix is the gold standard in scopes. You probably want 100 Mhz and dual channel.

The handheld ones sound neat, but most people want some size to the screen which means a plug-in.

Thanks Donald,

I do have a friend that is very good w/ electronics and can asked for his help with learning curve.

What do you want the tool to do? In the real world.....A LOT of things can be done with a AC/DC Graphing Meter. Oscilloscopes just have a higher sampling rate (depending on the bandwidth capability). With today's vehicles....You rarely need scope the Secondary Ignition.

Cruise some local pawn shops for a Snap-on Vantage Pro, MANY were sold but few knew how to use them & have a decent Oscilloscope built-in! Even the ancient Vantage is valuable as a Graphing VOM.

Picoscope is a really good PC based scope, They have 2 channel scopes within your budget but only have @ 25 Mhz where 70 Mhz would be minimum for catching a glitch in high frequency AC sine wave crank sensors & ABS speed sensors.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
What do you want the tool to do? In the real world.....A LOT of things can be done with a AC/DC Graphing Meter. Oscilloscopes just have a higher sampling rate (depending on the bandwidth capability). With today's vehicles....You rarely need scope the Secondary Ignition.

Cruise some local pawn shops for a Snap-on Vantage Pro, MANY were sold but few knew how to use them & have a decent Oscilloscope built-in! Even the ancient Vantage is valuable as a Graphing VOM.

Picoscope is a really good PC based scope, They have 2 channel scopes within your budget but only have @ 25 Mhz where 70 Mhz would be minimum for catching a glitch in high frequency AC sine wave crank sensors & ABS speed sensors.

Thanks for the ideas, I'll add them up to my research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back