Is an alignment absolutely needed after new tires?

Good responses here. And Ironman tires aren't so bad. It's a brand made by Cooper Tire. I've started to favor a true "alignment shop" or even your new car dealer for an alignment compared to the average tire shop.

If the car drives straight and the tires wear evenly, I see no reason to do an alignment. I didn't on my 300, doubt I will on the van. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
The tires don't have anything to do with the alignment. the machine aligns the rims, not the tires. It's either aligned or it isn't. If your old tires were wearing funny, then get an alignment.

^this....especially if the first 'new' tires....alignments are like jiffy lube.....buyer beware.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Why would a car with 20k miles have new front tires and garbage rear tires?

This. Something screwy is going on either with the vehicle or how we're getting this information relayed.

What is "garbage" rear tire? Please (directed at all random persons! lol) never write a colorful opinion instead of objective facts like what brand and what the problem was, for example was it worn out? I don't understand qualifying a tire as garbage instead of worn out if it was worn out, nor calling a tire garbage but replacing it with a low end brand if it wasn't worn out.

On the one hand we could pretend or assume this is a perfectly normal vehicle that has been in no accidents and normal tire wear, that just needed new rear tires. In that case no, on rear wheels especially, if it was aligned acceptably up to that point, it would be as arbitrary to align right after getting tires as it would be to wait another 20K miles and then get an alignment, or at whatever point there seems to be an alignment problem.

On the other hand something is screwy in that it has been chewing through tires this fast, and since you just got it, it may be quite difficult to contrast what it handles like now and what it should handle like with a good alignment. It wouldn't have handled right with new front and old rear tires and it won't now with different brand new rear tires, so you have no baseline for what feels right for this vehicle. At least you have same age tires on the same axle.

Finally, with (almost) new front tires and now new back tires, there is no reason to replace them "next year". If they were crap for cold winter months then now would be the tire to replace them but if they do okay for this winter you might as well run them until whichever pair wears out first, though you didn't mention make and model of vehicle nor what specific tires are on it.

PS shops that offer a free alignment check are a way for them to sell you an alignment even if you don't need one. If the front tires are not worn unevenly, I would wait until you notice any uneven wear (checking frequently), unless the oddity of having worn out and different tires by 20K mi was because this car was in an accident and frankensteined back together into a whole car at a junkyard, in which case the alignment should definitely be checked, and the trueness of the frame (meaning unibody) and everything else with a fine tooth comb, not so much the normal wear items in the suspension because those shouldn't have worn much at all by 20K mi, but certainly you should not ignore them either.

Last edited:
Absolutely not. If the old tires wore correctly, and the vehicle steers properly, leave well enough alone. Just because a shop has a state of the art Hunter alignment machine doesn't always mean the tech using it knows what he's doing. Many a perfect alignment was ruined by people not knowing how to properly use the alignment machine. I got over 65K miles out of the OE tires on my Liberty, they could have gone longer. I replaced them because of age, and the winter was right around the corner. I left the alignment alone, the replacement tires are wearing perfectly. My rules for alignment have changed years ago, if it ain't broke leave it alone!

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Absolutely not. If the old tires wore correctly, and the vehicle steers properly, leave well enough alone. Just because a shop has a state of the art Hunter alignment machine doesn't always mean the tech using it knows what he's doing. Many a perfect alignment was ruined by people not knowing how to properly use the alignment machine. I got over 65K miles out of the OE tires on my Liberty, they could have gone longer. I replaced them because of age, and the winter was right around the corner. I left the alignment alone, the replacement tires are wearing perfectly. My rules for alignment have changed years ago, if it ain't broke leave it alone!

I agree totally....If the old tires were wearing well....I leave it alone.

I say no. As long as the car will track straight and the tire wear is even, enjoy. My experience with tire shop alignments is that about 50% of the time a repeat alignment is required to fix some error they made the first time. I don't know if I'm jinxed or this is typical.

Originally Posted by Lou_Boyle
I say no. As long as the car will track straight and the tire wear is even, enjoy. My experience with tire shop alignments is that about 50% of the time a repeat alignment is required to fix some error they made the first time. I don't know if I'm jinxed or this is typical.

You're not jinxed, I found that to be the norm unfortunately.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Alignments are funny things. I went to a shop and got my LS430 aligned and 2 weeks later went and got it aligned at another place and you would not believe the differences. Sorta makes me wonder....

My experience on alignments:
100,000 miles and my 'first' alignment checked - GOOD
100,000 - Replaced tie rod ends and had alignment
105,000 - Bought 'new' tires and had alignment done
109,000 - Had alignment checked (free after 6 Months) and they realigned

I know my vehicle and how I drive and maintain it.
- Check air pressure when temperatures change
- Rotate and check for uneven wear
- Watch for pot-holes while driving
- Observe steering on highway and while braking

OP - If you have the money, I'd get an alignment done because you don't know the history of car / why did previous owner put 'new' tires on ?
Then when you buy better tires next year, ask yourself if an alignment is still necessary.
If you don't have an alignment done with the current tires, watch the tire wear closely.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by chainblu
I know too many people who have problems with their alignment AFTER getting their vehicle 'aligned'. A good alignment man is indeed a rare jewel these days.

I'm in the "If it ain't broke....." crowd on this one.

Absolutely correct.

If it steers good ( rare) and the doesn't show odd tire wear

DON'T DO IT!

Most machines are out of calibration and techs don't or cannot do the job right.

And many problems are worn or damaged bushing related tor shifted subframe/carrier.

A good alignment shop and tech is rare as a three- antler Buck.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
If you don't get an alignment, you run the risk of premature tire wear and possibly replacing tires a year down the road instead of several.

If you do get an alignment, you run the risk of the alignment already being fine and throwing $70 down the toilet-- or some idiot messing the alignment up. I'm about 50/50 for good alignments at chain stores (I avoid them like the plague, but basically only places near me that do alignments). Half the time the car is great for the whole set of tires, the other half the time the car comes back with the steering wheel crooked, or a pull to one side or the other. I've not had any luck getting a shop to re-do an alignment, they always come back and say it's good-- so instead I take it somewhere else, spend another $70 and have them fix the first shop's mistake. I just chalk it up to the cost of getting an alignment.

Since this is a new-to-you vehicle, do a visual check on all your suspension components. Tie rod ends should have boots intact and no free-play (can be checked by rocking steering wheel back and forth and listening for a click/clunk.) Ball joints should have good boots and no leaking. Struts should be dry and leak free. Sway bar end links (not really related to alignment, but nice to check while you're down there) should have good boots, no leaks and no noticeable slop when you wiggle them. Taking a car in for an alignment that has worn or bad suspension components is a super fast way to flush hard earned money down the toilet. Some shops will advise you to replace worn parts, others will not notice and perform the alignment anyway.

Maybe try a shop that advertises a free alignment check? Though I suspect this is mostly a scheme to get customers in the door and sell them something.

$70 is cheap. 4 wheel alignment prices are $100+.

Originally Posted by painfx

Huge difference in cost of living between NJ and KY! Like two ends of the spectrum.

Go get a four-wheel alignment at Firestone and get the lifetime version (often on sell for $150). Make sure you get a copy of the "before/after" sheet for your records.
Then you can do this at no cost for as long as you owe your car/truck as often as you like (I do mine every 5K miles).

Best way to keep new tires alive for the longest possible time (along with rotations/balance and PSI up to spec).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
The tires don't have anything to do with the alignment. the machine aligns the rims, not the tires. It's either aligned or it isn't. If your old tires were wearing funny, then get an alignment.

Not the rims, but the hubs. When using a rim clamp style adapter, you do a runout procedure to take the rim out of the equation.

On our BMWs, the factory rims have a second set of holes for our alignment heads. They have pins that go directly to the hubs. This is the only pic I could find online, but you can see the pins going through the rim.

[Linked Image]

Takes the rim and tire completely out of the equation.

And I am a big believer in doing preventative alignments, I usually do 4-5 per year on both of my own cars. But I do have my own alignment rack.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by painfx

Huge difference in cost of living between NJ and KY! Like two ends of the spectrum.

Is cost of living cheap in KY?

The alignment center is said charges $70, is it an independant shop or a big name shop like Pepboys and etc...?

Last edited:
I pay $59 at a local independent tire shop for a 2-wheel alignment, I think the 4-wheel is $20 more. Most cars don't need 4-wheel alignment. I've also used Ken Towery, Kiaser Tire (both chains here) and their price is similar.

Yes, I'd say cost of lving is low, I moved here from CO 3 years ago and the difference is huge. Most everything is less expensive here. But then Colorado is being Californicated at a record pace, has been for 20+ years.

I pay $59 at a local independent tire shop for a 2-wheel alignment, I think the 4-wheel is $20 more. Most cars don't need 4-wheel alignment. I've also used Ken Towery, Kiaser Tire (both chains here) and their price is similar.

Yes, I'd say cost of lving is low, I moved here from CO 3 years ago and the difference is huge. Most everything is less expensive here. But then Colorado is being Californicated at a record pace, has been for 20+ years.

Most cars don't need a 4-wheel alignment? Uh, what?

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
Most cars don't need a 4-wheel alignment? Uh, what?

Most was a poor word choice, many cars would have read better. I don't know the exact percentage of course, but I'd guess that > 50% of the vehicles (not just cars) on the road have no means of adjusting alignment on the rear other than adjusting it mechanically with shims or new parts (which is not part of a 4-wheel alignment.)

Back