Alternative for Lexus Toyota WS

Looking to replace my ATF fluid on my 2016 Lexus ES 350 (V6) with 40K miles. Like Honda, Toyota calls for specific WS fluid but it is not full synthetic. I know their is good old MaxLife MultiVehicle ATF but I came cross a full synthetic Toyota WS specific option called Ravenol J1D2122-004 T-WS. Amazon has it for $55 for a 4 Liter jug. This seems to be the best full synthetic alternative. Any thoughts?

715LmQWUH-L._SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:
I've been sticking with Valvoline MaxLife or Castrol Transmax IMV for my Toyota/Lexus vehicles and other Honda, Mazda, Nissan vehicles as well. And their CVT fluids too. On sale, the prices can't be beat.

I would stick with the Toyota WS just to be sure. Just sample the oil from time to time. (pull out a cup and pour in a cup).

I did my Tacoma at 100K miles. Some towing of a bass boat and mostly highway miles. The oil color looked very close to cherry red of the new oil. Only a slight dark tint to it.

I did two drain and refills (~4qts each about 5000 miles apart). On the second drain and refill the fluid looked very close to new oil so I declared it good and will do it again every 60K miles or so from now on.

I have read of many folks with 200K+ miles on the original WS oil. Of course I have seen some folks drain and refil at 80K and it came out very dark so it depends on your driving style and environment. I'm in south texas so its hot but flat. no hills.

Originally Posted by Joephu
... This seems to be the best full synthetic alternative. Any thoughts?

I don't see how this is the "best full synthetic alternative".

IMO Maxlife ATF is the "best" alternative. It works and is cheap.
Castrol has a good alternative as well, costs more than Maxlife, but cheaper than what you posted.
There are several synthetic Dex VI fluids out there that work well also and again, are cheaper than the posted fluid.

There are only 2 genuine Toyota WS fluids. Toyota WS and Aisin WS. There is a multitude of ATF's that will work. In this matter, I trust only Toyota WS.
IF it doesn't say "WS" on the bottle, it ain't "WS."

I do a drain and fill every 30K or every 10 oil changes.

I have used the Idemitsu Honda equivalent in 2 TSXs with great results.
When I service our GS, I will use the Idemitsu WS equivalent.

I have used Maxlife in Toyota vehicles in the past with great results.
I like synthetics; that's why I don't use real WS.
I believe WS or any of its equivalents will be fine.

Last edited:
I use Eneos Model T-W in my Sienna. It's cheap and easy to get at Napa. I like that it's not a "one size fits all/universal" fluid; Eneos specifically designed this fluid just for WS applications.
[Linked Image from eneos.us]

Castrol's multi-vehicle is DEX6 & Merc LV licensed. It also says for all Toyota transmissions among others.

My Aisin seems to be pretty happy with it. I've been lucky to find it on clearance for less than $1/qt.

Wow, most people are not seeing any red with less than 50K Miles never mind towing. I know you can't go by color for effectiveness.

I put Toyota WS in my Corolla before I sold it to my son, I drain and fill once a year. Fluid still comes out as red as it goes in.

It now has 279,000 miles (446,000 kms) on it now and shifts like new. The OEM fluid has performed well in temperatures below -40F (-40C) and past 120F (49C) with no issues. I am not sure why I would need to choose another.

Originally Posted by Gebo
There are only 2 genuine Toyota WS fluids. Toyota WS and Aisin WS. There is a multitude of ATF's that will work. In this matter, I trust only Toyota WS.
IF it doesn't say "WS" on the bottle, it ain't "WS."
I do a drain and fill every 30K or every 10 oil changes.

I'm with you on this 100%

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
At more the twice the price of Maxlife, I couldn't find a reason to use Ravenol.

I'm sure it would work just fine. There is also Castrol.

I agree or DEXRON VI.

Originally Posted by Pelican
Originally Posted by ZebRuaj
Idemitsu has a WS fluid too. Used it on a customer's vehicle over Maxlife per their request.
Idemitsu 30040096-95300C020 ATF Type TLS-LV (WS) Automatic Transmission Fluid for Toyota/Lexus/Scion-5 Quart https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M94B6V6/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_SGQZDbVCZACBT

That would be my choice too or Aisin's own ATF if you can get it.

That's also what I though, but a month or so ago Molakule posted a VOA he did on Idemitsu's Honda-specifc ATF, and it bore not relationship to the actual Honda fluid. I have Idemitsu mixed with some older 3309 in my Lexus now; I figure I'll be safe going forward and go back to using T-IV or 3309 (it's an 03 Lexus, before WS).

For the OP - WS is just not good stuff and shears badly, quickly - as has been widely observed and reported. Maybe they've increased the quality recently - I haven't used it for several years now. I'd use Ravenol (very positive impression of it from past use in German cars), or MaxLife. I don't think I'd pay twice as much or more for the Ravenol, though.

Back