Recommendations for oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by mclasser
OEM while under warranty.

Now why would you say that? Its not required. The filter needs to meet the manufacturer's spec but does not need to be OEM.

Not that OEM are bad. I was buying 6 of them at a clip for my Subaru on Amazon.

Then I ran into the NAPA platinum sale and got many of them.

Originally Posted by Donald

Now why would you say that? Its not required. The filter needs to meet the manufacturer's spec but does not need to be OEM.

Not that OEM are bad. I was buying 6 of them at a clip for my Subaru on Amazon.

Then I ran into the NAPA platinum sale and got many of them.

The Honda A02 -- albeit nothing special -- is also cheap when bought in bulk. I know the chances of a filter-related issue are slim-to-none, but why risk it? People like to bring up the Magnuson-Moss Act. My take on that is good luck with the "it meets the specs" argument when fighting some douchey dealer/mfg over a warranty claim. And personally, I use the Fram Ultra in my Hondas (after the warranty's up).

Been many discussions on this. A search will show you many many good things. But if u want a short easy answer use wix or puroilater and dont ever use a fram.

Try to use the taller/longer versions of whatever ur car calls for

And if possible use t6 for ur oil.

Luck

D

For 5k, use the PH7317, which is basically an A02 anyway
smile.gif

Wix's filter for this fitment uses a tiny cartridge with much less media, due to the design of the bypass they use
crazy2.gif

I would also suggest synthetic oil due to the VCM being hard on oil. Install a muzzler when the warranty is up

Originally Posted by dawgn86
2019 Acura MDX 3.5 engine. Plan on 5-6000 oil change intervals.
Car has 6000 miles now. Dealer serviced at 5300 miles.

Thanks

Orange can

Originally Posted by Donald

... I know the chances of a filter-related issue are slim-to-none, but why risk it? People like to bring up the Magnuson-Moss Act. My take on that is good luck with the "it meets the specs" argument when fighting some douchey dealer/mfg over a warranty claim.

THIS ^^^

In the unlikely event that you do have a major engine issue, you don't want an aftermarket filter on the engine. With an OE filter, the car company will fix it. With an after market filter, the dealer could very well say that they believe the filter caused the problem, so go talk to the filter company ... we will not fix the car. And if they say that, what will you do ?

Why risk it on a brand new car under warranty ?

Originally Posted by dafish
Been many discussions on this. A search will show you many many good things. But if u want a short easy answer use wix or puroilater and dont ever use a fram.

Been more reports here of Wix (leaking) and Purolator (torn media) problems than with Frams.

Wix XP/Napa Platinum, Fram Ultra, Purolator Boss, Bosch Distance Plus, & M1 are all solid filters. Cannot go wrong with any of them. Also do not allow others to use fear tactics to sway you one way or another.

Even the 10k mile rated Super Tech with 99% efficiency at 30 microns, purchased for $2.97 will do the trick. It's a Champ made filter of excellent quality.

Last edited:
I run Fram Ultra filters. I buy them in lots of 6, at good prices. IMO they're the best bang for the buck.

I kinda doubt you would have any problem with Acura of Athens, they are good folks.

But, OE filters are not expensive so why give Acura an out? A02 have a seam clamp not seen in the TG or EG, the pleat count is closest to the TG.

I've directed a google number of the 7317 size filters, so look at post started my me and see what you like if you're not going to use Honda.

Yup,

Buy the OEM buy the 5 or 6 pack online and call it good.

Best is the enemy of good enough. (good enough meaning the engine will eventually die of something but not oil filter related)

Originally Posted by wemay
Even the 10k mile rated Super Tech with 99% efficiency at 30 microns, purchased for $2.97 will do the trick. It's a Champ made filter of excellent quality.

The only issue with supertech when it come to Honda/Acura is that they don't make a 7317 anymore, only a 6607. Way too small imo

Originally Posted by dafish

Try to use the taller/longer versions of whatever ur car calls for

And if possible use t6 for ur oil.

Luck

D

Sheer lunacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back