Amsoil 5W30 Signature Series vs Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Im not an expert and this is just one UOA"

Then you have Blackstone theories and conclusions about 5w40s being superior to 30ws in iron wear...

Running TDT in a gasser v6....Considering potential return policies as a factor for choosing an oil in case you change your mind...

Where to start? This thread is a mess and your logic and conclusions are flawed.

Run another UOA with 5w30 SuperTech and look at the results. I would bet it's almost exactly the same. You're dealing with parts per MILLION and nobody learned anything from this data, including you.

Originally Posted by buster
The fact that someone from Amsoil said that is baffling.

Lawyers call that hearsay and it is not admissible nor credible.

Need lots of 🧂 🧂🧂.

I have already pointed out earlier in the thread all the possible flaws I can think of at the time of posting. This obviously isnt a scientific based thread, but none of us here to include myself have the budget, ability, time and/or motivation to conduct an exacting scientific analysis. I am not going to tear down the engine on my vehicles or any of that to figure out which oil is best.

I will trust what both Blackstone and Amsoil posted. Blackstone had some data they collected from their analysis of various oils. Amsoil concurred in stating that to dominate a wear test just use a different viscosity. I am trusting Blackstone and Amsoil are experts in their field. As Ive stated I have no ability to refute or confirm their data.

What I can say 100% is Mobils 5W40 both the TDT and Delvac seem to run great in my vehicles. The owners manual says you cant use oils outside of their guidelines, but in any event its right there in my crankcase and works great.

Studies have been conducted, and published (Shell and CP come to mind) that show lower viscosity oils outperforming higher viscosity oils in particular engines. Shell and CP know more than an Amsoil blogger and Blackstone Labs. Viscosity is just one attribute of an oil.

Anyway, if you feel good with TDT, I'd stick with it. Great oil.

In my unscientific tests of a single UOA it appears the Mobil 1 and Amsoil were neck and neck. 2 ppm of copper is very small. The real question is how would the Mobil 1 HDEO go up against a comparable Amsoil HDEO? Im guessing Amsoil would win out.

For my personal preference I prefer whats available at Walmart and something less expensive than boutique oil prices.

Originally Posted by Navi
In my unscientific tests of a single UOA it appears the Mobil 1 and Amsoil were neck and neck. 2 ppm of copper is very small. The real question is how would the Mobil 1 HDEO go up against a comparable Amsoil HDEO? Im guessing Amsoil would win out.

For my personal preference I prefer whats available at Walmart and something less expensive than boutique oil prices.

2ppm is noise, that's the point. Statistically, given margin of error on a UOA, both oils performed identically.

Interesting, what criteria are you thinking of that would show one wins over the other?

What I can say 100% is Mobils 5W40 both the TDT and Delvac seem to run great in my vehicles. The owners manual says you cant use oils outside of their guidelines, but in any event its right there in my crankcase and works great.

In an understressed 3.7 naturally aspirated gas commuter, 99% of anything available on shelves will give you almost identical results. Like I said, test with the cheapest conventional 5w30 you can find and those wear numbers will be within a few fractional percentages of each other to this oil tested. The only thing I learned from this test is you are overpaying on oil. You don't need to TBN and soot capabilities of 5w40 TDT so you're overpaying for piece of mind.

Thank you for your comparisons. I still have a stash of TDT from the $15 autozone blowout.. and i use it with confidence.

Im not sure i would chase a holy grail oil for a 5K run..

My bet is that a $19.88 pit crew special at walmart with QS AD would give similar numbers.

Fact is most likely that you have a good engine that doesnt shed metals.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Also take note that Blackstone did an analysis on HDEO oils and they did give the upper hand to Amsoils line of HDEOs versus Shell Rotella T6. So when comparing similar oils the boutique oil won out, but that wasnt the comparison. Blackstone had compared 5W30 gasoline engine oil to a 5W40 HDEO oil.

Here is Amsoils response:

https://blog.amsoil.com/does-it-matter-which-brand-of-motor-oil-you-use/

Here is a notable sentence from Amsoils article "If you want to dominate a wear test, just use a higher viscosity."

You can't use UOA's to determine wear in this manner, the resolution simply isn't there. You'd have to perform extensive tear-down analysis to be able to contrast wear performance between lubes.

Exactly correct.

Originally Posted by jayg

Then you have Blackstone theories and conclusions about 5w40s being superior to 30ws in iron wear...

Running TDT in a gasser v6....Considering potential return policies as a factor for choosing an oil in case you change your mind...

Where to start? This thread is a mess and your logic and conclusions are flawed.

Run another UOA with 5w30 SuperTech and look at the results. I would bet it's almost exactly the same. You're dealing with parts per MILLION and nobody learned anything from this data, including you.

What he said ^

Navi has been searching for answers for his previously failed EcoBoost with dozens of oils and dozens of threads. Having a timing chain issue in a ford truck engine should not be a surprise to anyone since circa 2004 onward. Sometimes things break, and oil is not always the issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by donnyj08
Originally Posted by jayg

What he said ^

Navi has been searching for answers for his previously failed EcoBoost with dozens of oils and dozens of threads. Having a timing chain issue in a ford truck engine should not be a surprise to anyone since circa 2004 onward. Sometimes things break, and oil is not always the issue.

Most engine failures are not from an oil related issue.

Keep up on the oil changes, and all other maintenance on vehicles is all a person can do. If there are no catastrophic problems, most vehicles will last a very long time.

This obviously isnt a scientific based thread,

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

It might be worthy to note all of my vehicles are registered as Limousines and used in the for hire car business in and around New York City. Although the vehicles are maintained very well they are driven hard 7 days a week. We are in and out of NYC all day long. Lots of starts and stops and sitting in traffic. Most especially that 30 mile drive to midtown each morning at the height of rush hour. I go through transmissions once a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back