2001 Toyota Sequoia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the above vehicle with 260,000 miles. I believe the catalytic converters are going out. Long story but that's what this points too. My mechanic is advising me that to avoid issues with CEL, I need to use the authentic Toyota cats. Well, all the dealers within 75 miles of me want over 2 grand for EACH. They don't sell just the cat, it's the whole system. Well those two cats are worth more than the vehicle so I'm trying to find an affordable solution. Are there any brands out there that will work with this engine that don't require a sacrifice of my first born? I love a Toyota but that's a rip off. Thanks for your assistance.

Last edited:
Just go on Rock Auto and see what they list. The quality and longevity of aftermarket catalytic converters usually tracks with the price.

But make sure you need one first, "believe they are going out" isn't equivalent to actually gone out. Do you have emissions testing?

The converter on my old Sienna at over 425,000 miles is still working, no CEL or other issues.

I've used aftermarket cats(2 of 3) on my wifes 2001 LEXUS RX300 without issues. They're smaller/louder than OE but waaaaay cheaper. California & New York may have different requirements.

Last edited:
Call local muffler shops.
I can tell you rules differ by state.
Governator Swarzenneger added a law in CA that stated replacement cats had to have some kinda certification.
An $80 installed 95 Honda cat went to like $400. Same cat...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,2001,sequoia,4.7l+v8,1375286,exhaust+&+emission,catalytic+converter,5808

Like kschachn stated, make sure you need it first.

Same issue for all Toyotas. My 98 Sienna they wanted $1100 for the Cat and exhaust assembly. I got a cheap one for under $200. The only problem I had with the Aftermarket cats were that the CEL would be triggered a few times a year with P0420. After clearing the CEL with my scanner I was good to go.

Not sure if California has tougher emissions requirements and or testing you need to pass. Most people don't go with OEM cats. Way too expensive IMO.

What you might want to do is to take your OEM cats and sell them to someone that recycles the precious metal in them. I did that with my Civic OEM cat and got $100 cash from a scrapper. That might help pay for half of your new Aftermarket Cats.

Last edited:
Look into eastern cats, good product, reasonable price.

Walker does okay, as does magnaflow. The walkers usually fit well but look like a monkey on crack welded them, the magnaflows are the opposite in my experience - they dont always fit well but at least they look nice

Originally Posted by Tlhfirelion
I have the above vehicle with 260,000 miles. I believe the catalytic converters are going out. Long story but that's what this points too. My mechanic is advising me that to avoid issues with CEL, I need to use the authentic Toyota cats. Well, all the dealers within 75 miles of me want over 2 grand for EACH. They don't sell just the cat, it's the whole system. Well those two cats are worth more than the vehicle so I'm trying to find an affordable solution. Are there any brands out there that will work with this engine that don't require a sacrifice of my first born? I love a Toyota but that's a rip off. Thanks for your assistance.

Depending on which state you are from, there are aftermarket alternative such as Magnaflow catalytic converters. But it must match with the application, such as the engine family number.

I spent 5 minutes and looked on Ebay for you..

The top pick lists a SET of left and right cats direct bolt on for $175...

You have options brother.

Dealer comes with lifetime warranty? When I worked at Toyota there exhaust system was lifetime but cats might just be 80k or 8 years but you got 260000 miles out of original ones so might be worth it. Check warranty on aftermarket parts as that could be the difference. I had a customer that bought Toyota muffler for his Camry that we replaced several times and Toyota covered the muffler and labor so something else to check on.

Hmm.

A good friend of mine had one of this vintage that he offered to sell me for $4500. High mileage like this, but some severe rust. I passed.

It did however need cats. That's what the dealer told him. I'd get aftermarket personally.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spk2000
Junkyard is worth the trip or at least a call.

Wrecking Yards cannot sell used Catalytic Converters! Or aren't supposed to.....Unless you know them personally, They wouldn't risk a hefty fine over it.
They can technically be sold for scrap though.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

Wrecking Yards cannot sell used Catalytic Converters! Or aren't supposed to.....Unless you know them personally, They wouldn't risk a hefty fine over it.

Is this a federal or state law?

I've never bought one before; asking for a friend.
laugh.gif

(In all seriousness, there's no way I'd even want a used cat. That's a lot of work only to find out it's either bad or will be soon.)

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Originally Posted by clinebarger
Is this a federal or state law?

It is a federal rule. You'll have to find the correct CFR listing but it is not illegal to sell used converters. However they must be tested for container mechanical integrity, substrate mechanical integrity and performance. If a wrecking yard is capable of doing all three of those then they can be sold.

At 300K my 528e passed emissions on the original cat. If the engine isn't kept in tune , cats wil not last. I learned that on Jeeps. I would try a few italian tune ups If the ceramic is intact, Hot exhaust will burn off deposits.. I wouldn't buy any parts until you have evidence, more than a feeling. A heat scanner should indicate a clogged cat. Please post back results.
grin2.gif

Thanks for everyone's replies. I'm working on my house so I got delayed replying. The history of how I got here is this.
Cel came on, and it was the cat code. All the O2 sensors are new denso, less than a year old. My mechanic a year ago said the cat is going, it's on the edge, you can try some cataclean stuff from Walmart, it works and may delay the expensive repair. Well, it worked for almost a year. Now, cel is back on, and mechanic said the 02 levels aren't critical yet. So, I tried the additive again but it didn't work, and a temp test on the passenger side shows an ineffective cat. So, now I'm here posting for help. My mechanic did say that a lot d the after,arrest ones have issues with the sensors fitting deep enough and show random cel's and what not so I'm trying to avoid another expensive headache. That's the latest. Thanks again for your help

On the aftermarket side, have you considered Walker Exhaust? Unless you are in NY or CA, these will work for you. Their cats are known for good quality and high precious metal content. They show on Amazon for $179 for one side - part number 54569, and $208 for the other side. That is a "flange to flange" pipe , with the converter in the middle. I'd strongly consider this brand if I were you.

I've used Walker on an older vehicle... 2004 Honda Accord Sedan w/ 2.4L 4 cylinder, with perfect results. Both end flanges are beefy and thick, and the hole for the rear oxygen sensor in my case was well constructed and reinforced. And Honda OEM cat was available ... but the list price was over $1500! Wholesale was still over $1,100.

Just made zero sense, with a 15 year old car, and when you live in the rust belt anyway, in my case.
Good luck ... but I say use high quality aftermarket cats ... with a warranty. OEM just not logical for your application, age, mileage, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back