Lifted Trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by geeman789
Here, lifted trucks are known as RIG ROCKETS. And if you work at a drilling site, you sometimes NEED a lifted truck with mud tires to have any chance of getting to the work site. And getting to the work site means getting paid VERY WELL .

This one is $ 65 000 ...

[Linked Image]

At least where I live, exactly 0% of brodozer owners have any work-related need for their vehicle.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Mostly because Chicks dig em!

They actually don't, though. Bros who drive these enjoy basking in the positive attention of other like-minded bros. In a totally non-gay way, of course.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 60% of truck purchases are aspirational anyway. People buy trucks to make a statement, and because they feel their lifestyle requires a truck.

An example is the huge trend towards double-cab short-bed mid-size trucks. The bed on these is comically small - might as well just get an SUV at that point..

We're buying an extended cab, and I get the strangest looks at the dealership when I go in asking for a truck with an actual usable bed.

Originally Posted by Passport1

I live in quiet beach town. During the summer months there is an endless parade of very noisy lifted trucks on the road in front of my house. With their chunky tires and loud exhausts they announce themselves way before I might see them. What is the purpose of modifying a truck so that it;

handles badly
gets terrible fuel mileage
poses a serious collision danger to other drivers because of their extreme bumper height
blinds drivers at night because of the elevation of their headlights

It can't be because they are used off-road. Most are cleaner than my car. Never see one with a snow plow on front. Don't look like they are work trucks.

I don't get it.

Your girlfriend will need a step stool. Or step on your back to get in.

I like my vehicles to have a purpose. I just can't see what I would need a jacked up 3500HD diesel with ugly wheels, lifted in the front only and annoyingly loud tires for. My XL superduty is just about perfect for what I need. Work truck that can get dirty or dinged up without causing heartache.

I have a lifted Jeep with loud mud tires. Because 99% of the miles it sees are on trails or driving to the trails.

A tame DD is the way to go. Cheap to fuel, cheap to maintain and doesn't attract any unwated attention.

Here, lifted trucks are known as RIG ROCKETS. And if you work at a drilling site, you sometimes NEED a lifted truck with mud tires to have any chance of getting to the work site. And getting to the work site means getting paid VERY WELL .

This one is $ 65 000 ...

[Linked Image]

If I worked at an oil site and needed a lifted 1 ton to get to work every day, it wouldn't be a $65K truck. It'd be a nice used XL model Ford with a vinyl interior the stock 16 or 17'' steelies and some mud tires.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
IIRC it's called "signaling". Like a peacock, they are displaying their ability to accumulate giant amounts of debt/ have access to resources and hopefully attract a mate. The "feathers", in this case is a lifted-truck.
grin2.gif

Fixed.
grin2.gif

The alignment shop in the next town over hates them. He says the kids buy these, put cheap lift kits on them and they are impossible to get aligned correctly. When faced with bills to replace tires after 12k miles or suspension parts the vehicle owner usually flips out and causes a huge scene with his macho-ness in the waiting room and yells about work being too expensive.

And those Nitto/Toyo "grappler" tires they get at Les Schwab(someone I know calls them Bro Schwab) cost as much as a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or Pirelli P Zero for a Audi/BMW/Camaro/Corvette.

Even in the city, I still see one.

Originally Posted by spavel6
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 60% of truck purchases are aspirational anyway. People buy trucks to make a statement, and because they feel their lifestyle requires a truck.

An example is the huge trend towards double-cab short-bed mid-size trucks. The bed on these is comically small - might as well just get an SUV at that point..

We're buying an extended cab, and I get the strangest looks at the dealership when I go in asking for a truck with an actual usable bed.

We have a relatively short (6'4") bed on our RAM because it's a crew cab. We tow two boats with it have have the electronic brake controller for that reason. We find the stowage in the floor for straps is a great asset and the bed is big enough you can drag home drywall in it and carry a 4-wheeler, which is what we do with it. An SUV can't do that, one would need a trailer. So there IS a niche where these trucks work. I also have 3x kids, so the big, spacious cab was a necessity.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

We have a relatively short (6'4") bed on our RAM because it's a crew cab.

That makes sense. I'm more referring to the Tacoma's 4' 11" bed - it's tiny!

If I ever had the need for one, I'd get an XLT/1LT level Ford or Chevy 1-ton with the FX4/Z71 package, and a tasteful(read:non-bro-ey) 2-3" lift with a set of Bilstein 5100 stocks and a set of all-terrain tires mounted on Alcoa or similar forged and polished wheels.

Originally Posted by IronMaidenRules
Originally Posted by Chris142
Mostly because Chicks dig em!

They actually don't, though. Bros who drive these enjoy basking in the positive attention of other like-minded bros. In a totally non-gay way, of course.

I had a lifted ramcharger years ago. It had the removable top. I had to beat girls back with a stick!

Originally Posted by Miller88

If I worked at an oil site and needed a lifted 1 ton to get to work every day, it wouldn't be a $65K truck. It'd be a nice used XL model Ford with a vinyl interior the stock 16 or 17'' steelies and some mud tires.

Exactly ... work trucks do work. And get dings and scrapes. That's what they are for.

If you want to see upside down car loans, see what happens when 22 year old BORROWs 60k for a truck, maxes out a couple credit cards for wheels / tires and lift kit etc., then TRASHES the truck, then realizes he can't really afford the truck, and goes to trade it in 2 years later, now with about 70 - 80k miles on it ( That's OK ... it's all highway ! )

And, then, somehow, the truck gets stolen, and the insurance guys starts asking questions ...

Some of these kids learn a TOUGH life lesson ...

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Loudest cars in my neighborhood are "ricers" and other sports cars.

That phase seems to have passed in favor of the lifted brodozer style trucks. At least around here.

The problem is they drove the price of *any* 3/4 or 1 ton truck through the roof.

Originally Posted by spavel6
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

We have a relatively short (6'4") bed on our RAM because it's a crew cab.

That makes sense. I'm more referring to the Tacoma's 4' 11" bed - it's tiny!

Who cares. As long as it works for the owner why do you worry?

I never really understood big lifted trucks either. So i decided to try it out. My 2016 GMC 1500 was a bit too low stock, had very little sidewall on the stock 20" wheels. It also had 70k dirt road miles on the stock suspension from the 1st owner. I went with a BDS coilover kit adjusted down to less than 5" to allow a 35" michelin tire to clear. This tire is good enough if you don't go looking for mud pits. Its nice having good ground clearance. I can just roll under there and change oil or whatever. Visually people tend to think its just a 3/4 ton truck and not some tonka truck. MPG loss ended up about 1 city 2-3 highway depending on speed. Instead of worn factory parts i have new, high performance suspension. It turned out quite well, drives quiet and smooth, but i'm not sure its really worth the cost and likely won't lift a future truck but who knows.

I was told that big lifted trucks with big tires is often a compensator for smaller man parts.

You have to get pretty good tire up-size to get that rear pumpkin diff to move from the standard 8" off the ground to higher...still looks mighty looks silly when the passengers need a stepladder to get into the cab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back