1990's crown vic owners, oil/fluid suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, just bought a 1997 crown vic, needs all the fluids changed. Just wonder what other crown vic owners were using and what are the results? The car belonged to my inlaws for 15 years, oil changed every 4k miles with castrol dino, don't know about the rest of the fluids. Had my mechanic check it out. Good news is, only a couple minor repairs needed, a couple suspension pieces need replacement and an oil line is leaking. Need front tires but nothing major. Fun car to drive.

As long as there is some sort of API oil in the engine , mercon V in the transmission and any cheap gear oil in the differential, it's going to live a long healthy life. Nothing in that car is the least bit picky or high maintenance.

Engine: I'd go with an xW-30 meeting ACEA A3
Coolant: Conventional green or G-05 will work. I stick with John Deere CoolGard-II.
Transmission: Any approved Mercon V fluid, although Amsoil is great if you can get it.
Power steering: I personally use CHF-11S
Brake fluid: DOT 3 is sufficient, I stick with DOT 5.1
Rear axle: 75W-90 should do, unless you plan to tow. I stick with 75W-140, but I got a Torsen T-2.

Timing chain guides were not an issue for your model year, unless it's racked up crazy mileage. I would replace the PCV valve as a precaution if you're doing a tune up, along with all oxygen sensors, fuel filter, ignition wires, etc.

Great info. Any oil they seem to like better? I usually use valvoline synthetic high mileage, mobil 1 ep or pennzoil platinum in my Honda's, I'm assuming any of those should be fine?

True. It is an ex cop car. They bought it 15 years ago with 87k on it, now it has 176k of easy miles. My inlaws used it gently. It moves nice and smooth, except a minor clunk in the suspension.

Pretty much any 5W30 oil that meets a recent standard will be fine. Ditto for other fluids as described above.

I'd be more concerned that all the suspension bits are in good order.

I have a 99 MGM with 101k miles and I recently had to have the ball joints and tie rod ends as well as the idler arm replaced.

2v 4.6?

Seriously underrated engine. Toyota's million mile v8 gets a lot of attention but the 2v ford is super dependable.

I use 5w-30 of whatever is on sale (and have for the last 17 years. Usually a cheaper syn or syn-blend.

Supertech syn, Valvoline Max life syn blend have been decent and I'm looking at the havoline smart change box next.

In reality, you could pick any 5w-30, a motorcraft 820s filter... and not worry about it for another hundred thousand.

Originally Posted by BLND1
2v 4.6?

Seriously underrated engine. Toyota's million mile v8 gets a lot of attention but the 2v ford is super dependable.

I use 5w-30 of whatever is on sale (and have for the last 17 years. Usually a cheaper syn or syn-blend.

Supertech syn, Valvoline Max life syn blend have been decent and I'm looking at the havoline smart change box next.

In reality, you could pick any 5w-30, a motorcraft 820s filter... and not worry about it for another hundred thousand.

I had one of the 4.6 modular motors in my 1994 Grand Marquis... not huge on horsepower, but good torque and oh my Lord was it such a smooth engine. Idled smooth and quiet, power through the operating range was smooth as silk. I LOVE that engine.

I would use the best 75w-140 I could find in that 8.8 rear. They are pretty notorious for chewing through the axles at the outer axle bearings. Happened twice in my ‘03 Marauder. I replaced the axle shafts, bearings and seals with Dorman parts and put Valvoline Synpower 75w-140 in it, per the Ford TSB to swap it from 80w-90 to Synthetic 75w-140. Synthetic 75w-140 is a good idea in any Ford 8.8.

As for the rest of the Marauder, Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic 5w-30 in the engine, Maxlife ATF in the trans and power steering, and Zerex G-05 in the cooling system, and Valvoline DOT 4 in the brake lines. I use a Ford Racing FL-820S Filter or a K&N HP-2010, and a K&N fuel filter and air filter. Enjoy the car!

Originally Posted by 69Torino
I would use the best 75w-140 I could find in that 8.8 rear. They are pretty notorious for chewing through the axles at the outer axle bearings. Happened twice in my ‘03 Marauder. I replaced the axle shafts, bearings and seals with Dorman parts and put Valvoline Synpower 75w-140 in it, per the Ford TSB to swap it from 80w-90 to Synthetic 75w-140. Synthetic 75w-140 is a good idea in any Ford 8.8.

As for the rest of the Marauder, Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic 5w-30 in the engine, Maxlife ATF in the trans and power steering, and Zerex G-05 in the cooling system, and Valvoline DOT 4 in the brake lines. I use a Ford Racing FL-820S Filter or a K&N HP-2010, and a K&N fuel filter and air filter. Enjoy the car!

+1

Originally Posted by Nyyt
It can do dot 4? I thought 3 and 4 didn't mix

3 and 4 are compatible

DOT 5 is not

DOT 4 simply has a higher tolerance for heat, yet it takes on water easier. Thus, you should flush it more often. Most people flush their brake hydraulic system "never", so if you do it once you're better than the average car owner.

I have owned 1999, 2007, and 2008 Crown Vics. Always used 5w-30 synthetic at 7500mile with no consumption between changes and I beat on them hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back