Do high beams make you angry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by grampi
these AR-15s are completely unnecessary and are actually dangerous to other citizens...they should be outlawed...

FTFY

Doesn't his right to see the road and keep his family safe outweigh the negatives?

Another thing that infuriates me are these semis with these super bright light bars, they are actually blinding and they won't turn them off for nothing. I turn my high beams on them...these light bars are completely unnecessary and are actually dangerous to other drivers...they should be outlawed...

So you, driving a 2 ton vehicle, see an oncoming vehicle with bright lights, a vehicle which weighs 30-40 tons btw, and your best idea on how to handle that situation is to turn your bright lights on and blind the driver of the oncoming semi??

Something doesn't compute there...

Either way, I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of the light bars in question. I honestly don't know what you are referring to, but if they are as common on semis as you say, I cannot see how they could be unnecessary or dangerous to other drivers. The DOT inspections these rigs have to pass on a regular basis would prevent any illegal or dangerous equipment from becoming common.

And as for unnecessary, if that's the case, why are they being installed by the drivers of the big trucks? Just to irritate other non-semi drivers?

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
these AR-15s are completely unnecessary and are actually dangerous to other citizens...they should be outlawed...

FTFY

Doesn't his right to see the road and keep his family safe outweigh the negatives?

Just in case you don't know this ....

Criminals will never follow any law... Laws don't prevent anything... Cooke county in Illinois perfect example... District of Columbia another one... Super duper strict laws... Yet people dead all the time... Drug/gang related.

Your "magic" law only affects the people who follow those laws.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
There is nothing more irritating to me than people driving around the city with their high beams on at night.

Am I the only one or are there others out there?

Every morning and every night to and from work.Endless morons that dont dim their highbeams no matter how many people flash them
mad.gif

Originally Posted by MrMoody
Originally Posted by CT Rob
Every morning and every night to and from work. Endless morons

Poetry. Sheer poetry.

lol.gif
I'm stealing it as my life motto.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Originally Posted by blupupher

I don't care what you drive or if you have your high or low beams on, if your lights are shining in my eyes, you will get flashed.

If you are constantly getting flashed, maybe it is you and not them. Check you headlight aim.

Rather than flagrantly and habitually breaking the law while going all vigilante on other drivers, how about taking a step back and leaving the traffic enforcement to those employed by the city, state, and county to do it instead?

How is flashing my high beams at someone that appears to have their high beams on that is blinding me "flagrantly and habitually breaking the law while going all vigilante on other drivers"?
Around here, flashing your high beams is to let them know that their high beams appear to be on. It is not me breaking the law (which other vehicles are doing have headlights that are not legal/aimed correctly) and going vigilante, it is me trying to keep myself and others safe. Most of the time, they are driving with their high beams on and turn them off, but other times it is crappy PnP light kits or some brodozer that lifted their truck and did not give a crap that his headlights are not adjusted (or even can't be adjusted since they can't adjust low enough to be legal).
And this is me driving a full size truck. so not like I am a low car.

I don't care what you drive or if you have your high or low beams on, if your lights are shining in my eyes, you will get flashed.

If you are constantly getting flashed, maybe it is you and not them. Check you headlight aim.

Rather than flagrantly and habitually breaking the law while going all vigilante on other drivers, how about taking a step back and leaving the traffic enforcement to those employed by the city, state, and county to do it instead?

You have it completely backwards. The driver causing the blinding is breaking the law and the person flashing their high beams to let them know is the responsible driver.

That's not the slightest bit vigilante, nothing at all like following the person till they park then bashing their lights out. Why would someone go to these extremes? Because law enforcement is not actively citing people and impounding vehicles at anywhere near the rate they should be... BUT, times are changing. There are more and more people irritated by jerks who blind everyone else on the road merely on a whim to have more lighting or because these jerks are too blind to drive at night with stock headlights so choose to blind everyone else instead of not driving, and should have this as a restriction on their driver's license.

Come to think of it, that brings up a great idea... anyone found with blinding modified lights, shouldn't just get cited and fined and have their vehicle impounded, but should also have their driver's license suspended until they provide the DMV with proof of adequate night vision -OR- have their driver's license reissued with the restriction not to drive at night.

One thing is clear, that society is being blinded and momentum is building to get this situation resolved.

How is flashing my high beams at someone...

Stop. The rest of the sentence is irrelevant. Engaging your bright headlights at oncoming traffic is not legal to do...at least not in this state, and I would be stunned if it were in any others.

Around here, flashing your high beams is to let them know that their high beams appear to be on.

That behavior is universal. I see it here as well. That doesn't make it legal; it's still in violation of at least one traffic law, maybe more.

It is not me breaking the law ...

Actually, yes, you are breaking the law each time you intentionally engage your bright headlights at oncoming traffic.

... it is me trying to keep myself and others safe. Most of the time, they are driving with their high beams on and turn them off, but other times it is crappy PnP light kits or some brodozer that lifted their truck and did not give a crap that his headlights are not adjusted (or even can't be adjusted since they can't adjust low enough to be legal).

Your good intentions do not rise to the level of justification for repeatedly engaging in behavior which is dangerous and illegal. No one asked you to try to alter other drivers' headlight usage habits, and it is not your job to police other drivers at night with respect to their low/high beam and/or headlight aiming issues. Someone actually has been tasked with doing those things - the local police departments, sheriff's deputies, and state troopers/highway patrol. Let THEM take actions to curtail others not operating their headlights safely. That is literally their job.

So in review, you stated that you have repeatedly violated the law in the past and will continue to do so by flashing your bright lights at other drivers on the nighttime roads. That i flagrant and habitual behavior.

You have also stated you are breaking the law like this in order to bring safety to other drivers and protect them from the other violators...violators which only you are allowed to single out evidently. Granted, that's not exactly chasing someone with a pitchfork or tar and feathering a carpet-bagger, but it's still taking the law into your own hands without being a sworn peace officer. That's getting awful close to vigilantism in my book.

The simple fact is that you are not making anyone safer with your actions.

You are creating more of a hazard with your actions, and those actions are not legal according to the letter of the law. If a peace officer observes you flashing other drivers, or you unintentionally flash him, you will get pulled over and likely read the riot act.

What then? Are you going to explain how you were only doing his job for him?

Be prepared for the traffic stop to go downhill quickly if you try that...

Originally Posted by Dave9

You have it completely backwards. The driver causing the blinding is breaking the law and the person flashing their high beams to let them know is the responsible driver.

That's not the slightest bit vigilante, nothing at all like following the person till they park then bashing their lights out. Why would someone go to these extremes? Because law enforcement is not actively citing people and impounding vehicles at anywhere near the rate they should be... BUT, times are changing. There are more and more people irritated by jerks who blind everyone else on the road merely on a whim to have more lighting or because these jerks are too blind to drive at night with stock headlights so choose to blind everyone else instead of not driving, and should have this as a restriction on their driver's license.

Come to think of it, that brings up a great idea... anyone found with blinding modified lights, shouldn't just get cited and fined and have their vehicle impounded, but should also have their driver's license suspended until they provide the DMV with proof of adequate night vision -OR- have their driver's license reissued with the restriction not to drive at night.

One thing is clear, that society is being blinded and momentum is building to get this situation resolved.

You know what, you're right. I have changed my mind. We do need to take it upon ourselves to make sure everyone else toes the line.

In fact, I'm going to start right now. It's night time, and it's after midnight. There will be nothing but drunkards and hippies/beatniks out on the roads right now, and they all need to be shown the err of their driving ways. Luckily for me and my fellow drivers, I actually drive a (former) cop car, so this will be easy!! Heck, everyone already mistakes it for a cop car anyway, now I just gotta make them really believe I'm a cop!!

Yes, I know impersonating a peace officer is a felony, but it's okay, I mean well. After all, every drunkard I pull over tonight will save 2 regular folks' lives, so my felonious behavior is okay.

Now...what to call myself...I'VE GOT IT: Dunfore...Uri Dunfore...Officer Uri Dunfore.

As in, "Good evening sir, my name is Officer Your Done For, and the reason I pulled you over tonight is to teach you some manners.
Don't you know the left lane is for speeders and high ranking city officials?!? You are neither. So you will be made redemptive for your transgressions.
Now exit the vehicle and lay on the ground so I can begin kicking you in the ribs
!"

Oh yeah, I will be getting the key to the city on the courthouse steps by next week I bet!

banana2.gif
thankyou2.gif
34.gif

How is flashing my high beams at someone...

Stop. The rest of the sentence is irrelevant. Engaging your bright headlights at oncoming traffic is not legal to do...at least not in this state, and I would be stunned if it were in any others.

Around here, flashing your high beams is to let them know that their high beams appear to be on.

That behavior is universal. I see it here as well. That doesn't make it legal; it's still in violation of at least one traffic law, maybe more.

It is not me breaking the law ...

Actually, yes, you are breaking the law each time you intentionally engage your bright headlights at oncoming traffic.

... it is me trying to keep myself and others safe. Most of the time, they are driving with their high beams on and turn them off, but other times it is crappy PnP light kits or some brodozer that lifted their truck and did not give a crap that his headlights are not adjusted (or even can't be adjusted since they can't adjust low enough to be legal).

Your good intentions do not rise to the level of justification for repeatedly engaging in behavior which is dangerous and illegal. No one asked you to try to alter other drivers' headlight usage habits, and it is not your job to police other drivers at night with respect to their low/high beam and/or headlight aiming issues. Someone actually has been tasked with doing those things - the local police departments, sheriff's deputies, and state troopers/highway patrol. Let THEM take actions to curtail others not operating their headlights safely. That is literally their job.

So in review, you stated that you have repeatedly violated the law in the past and will continue to do so by flashing your bright lights at other drivers on the nighttime roads. That i flagrant and habitual behavior.

You have also stated you are breaking the law like this in order to bring safety to other drivers and protect them from the other violators...violators which only you are allowed to single out evidently. Granted, that's not exactly chasing someone with a pitchfork or tar and feathering a carpet-bagger, but it's still taking the law into your own hands without being a sworn peace officer. That's getting awful close to vigilantism in my book.

The simple fact is that you are not making anyone safer with your actions.

You are creating more of a hazard with your actions, and those actions are not legal according to the letter of the law. If a peace officer observes you flashing other drivers, or you unintentionally flash him, you will get pulled over and likely read the riot act.

What then? Are you going to explain how you were only doing his job for him?

Be prepared for the traffic stop to go downhill quickly if you try that...

Wisconsin allows it.

347.12(1) (a): Whenever the operator of a vehicle equipped with multiple−beam headlamps approaches an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet, the operator shall dim, depress or tilt the vehicle's headlights so that the glaring rays are not directed into the eyes of the operator of the other vehicle. This paragraph does not prohibit an operator from intermittently flashing the vehicle's high−beam headlamps at an oncoming vehicle whose high−beam headlamps are lit.

Engaging in a war of who can tolerate the others high beams the longest is stupid. A quick flash or 2 is fine. If I ever get ticketed for it, I'll pay the fine. The cop I flashed one time didn't seem to care though
21.gif

High beams frustrate me since my eyes take longer to readjust than normal. I can't say too much since I occasionally forget to dim the lights myself.

When I was on night shift for 6 years . Every night there will always be some one with high beam on . Many time I flash them but they still not switch it off .

Years went by . I stop care any more . But there a few time I turn my high beam on right before they pass me
lol.gif
. 2 wrong don't make it right but they being .... so can I

To answer op question . Yes it's bother me

No, high beams do not make me angry. If the oncoming car does not dim them I have some high-powered LED retrofitted high beams that will remind them.

Just a FYI folks, as I said early. Apparently as you age your eyes become more sensitive to the bluish hues at night. This sensitivity can make you believe an oncoming car has it's high beams on or his/her low beams are improperly focused when in reality you're just turning into an old f@rt.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Headlights are out of control and states are waking up to this
Not just an aftermarket problem … look at the entry level Ford Super Duty … would make great football stadium lights … but if you drive side by side with them my projector beams reach out further without the huge 200 degree light wash they put out …

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Just a FYI folks, as I said early. Apparently as you age your eyes become more sensitive to the bluish hues at night. This sensitivity can make you believe an oncoming car has it's high beams on or his/her low beams are improperly focused when in reality you're just turning into an old f@rt.
grin2.gif

If that is true then that explains it! I've noticed it quite a bit lately, but have been not high beamin' them back, as i know the modern lights seem much brighter than in the past. It seems to be limited to late model cars and trucks though, older jobs don't trigger that in me.

I would never have pegged my Camry as low slung but most pickups do have their lights at eyeball level. Alternating between my old Camry and my Tundra gives me different impressions as to who is using high beam and who is not.

The issue of people not using lights during rain, snow or fog is a different issue entirely... I wish people would realize that turning on your lights is nice to the other drivers! Yeesh. As someone who has to drive east in the morn and west in the evening I wish more would turn on their lights period, there are times when forward visibility drops way down due to glare--but a couple of taillights (when lit) can still be seen for what they are (a car in front of you).

On the plus side, I wonder if I could just leave the high beams on always in my car now, I suspect its high beams are still dimmer than most low beams today...

I doubt even on new vehicles that the factory does much … I always do my own so that I can keep the driver side light lower and the passenger side up slightly …
This lets me watch the shoulder for orientation and animals … and keep my eyes to the right when bright lights are to my left …

I find the responses made in blue text on my BITOG dark setting theme as annoying as high beams for oncoming traffic.

If I see someone that has high beams on, I give them a quick flash to let them know. If they do nothing, I simply turn mine on as well and leave them that way until they lower....or not...I don't really care. After they pass I need the extra light to see after being dazzled anyways.

If an oncoming car has its high beams on, they're gonna get a quick flash of my high beams. If they don't turn them off, they'll get one more warning flash, followed by a continuous blast of high beamage until we pass. I only get irritated if it gets to that point. Are these people that oblivious that they don't know what the flashing means? Or do they know, but just refuse to turn them off anyway because are they selfish, discourteous, and uncaring? Either way, they deserve the blinding high beams.

When I'm driving my wife's Escalade with the HID lights, I often get people flashing their high beams at me because they apparently think I have my high beams on, when I don't. I just flash my high beams right back at them, as if to say, "I didn't have my high beams on, idiot. *THESE* are my high beams."
[Linked Image from pics.me.me]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back