recent experience with Adv Auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's about the Mazda3 in my signature. The rear shock mount broke. This was the second set of mounts. Factory ones broke in Nov 2016, and I sourced a pair of KYB mount from AZ, which lasted 3 long whole years.

Found from AAP that they have a moog K series mount in stock, ordered them, also ordered a pair of Monroe OESpectrum shocks. Went to pick up parts at noon yesterday, expected a quick in and out. But boy was I wrong. for the pair of shocks, one is good and legit, the other is a returned part, with a wrong nut on it. For the pair of mounts, one is good, the other I can't describe it, it was like the aluminium was not solidified properly when the part was made. Asked for a new mount, which the store manager found in a minute, which matched the good one. Also wanted a new shock, but the manager said they don't have any in stock. He then ordered one from another store, and told me to come back later of the day. Took 45 min.

Went back to store at 5:30pm, expected to get a new part, but instead I was greeted with a completely different shock which looked nothing like the legit one, in the correct box. I asked for a return and refund, which they did. I then went to another AAP store just to buy another new and legit shock. Took 1.5 hours.

Moral of my experience: always check and verify. not sure if this is the new normal. Do people really care? I bet most people do, maybe just my lucky day to encounter this.

This is likely location specific. I prefer O'Reilly or Autozone due to stock availability and price. However, my local AAP has older employees who used to be mechanics or work in the auto industry in some way. They know what they are doing and are very helpful. I try to go there when they have what I need.

One of the last times I shopped at AAP I did an online order on an in stock item. Went to town specifically to pick it up and it was the core. They had sold it to a shop out from under me apparently? My card was even charged.

I thanked them for wasting my time.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
One of the last times I shopped at AAP I did an online order on an in stock item. Went to town specifically to pick it up and it was the core. They had sold it to a shop out from under me apparently? My card was even charged.

I thanked them for wasting my time.

Similar happened to me. I did an online order for Rhino Ramps and when I went to pick them up, they told me they sold the last pair to someone else. I had to get a refund and go buy them at AZ.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
This is likely location specific. I prefer O'Reilly or Autozone due to stock availability and price. However, my local AAP has older employees who used to be mechanics or work in the auto industry in some way. They know what they are doing and are very helpful. I try to go there when they have what I need.
Sign up for the Speed Points or Reward points . I get email with discount codes . Usually 20% off .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Sign up for the Speed Points or Reward points . I get email with discount codes . Usually 20% off .

Even better, go to "retailmenot.com" and look for an online coupon for Advance Auto. There will often be 25% off codes in there. Purchase online and pick up in the nearest store with the item in stock. I've literally saved several hundred dollars over the last few years with this. Batteries, brakes, wiper blades, shock absorbers, you name it. You cannot "stack" promo codes, but you CAN use a promo code with a Speed Perks coupon

Autozone or Oreilly's usually don't offer such discounts which is why I shop for parts at Advance 95% of the time. It makes the prices comparable to Rock Auto.

I compare the AAP price , w/discount to RockAuto.com price + shipping . Also depends if I can wait a week .

HI, guys, thanks for chiming on. The 25% off coupon is certainly enticing. But if I am getting the run-a-around for wrong parts in the right box... I'd think twice in the future.

If you use a 20% off coupon online, AAP is only about 40% more than anywhere else online!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Silver
If you use a 20% off coupon online, AAP is only about 40% more than anywhere else online!

I've actually found AAP prices on many items to be VERY competitive compared to most places with a 20% off coupon and better than most with 25% off.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by Silver

I've actually found AAP prices on many items to be VERY competitive compared to most places with a 20% off coupon and better than most with 25% off.

Please list parts and sources. I've GOT to see this!

Yeah small things may come out fair when shipping is added.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back