Evans Waterless Coolant

Thanks FCD. That's interesting to hear and the sort of 1st hand experience that sorts fact from wives tale.

I'll post up my experiences with it in my motorbike offroad on a hot day.

Cheers.

I have previously run Evans in a 91 300ZXTT. It ran very warm during the summer, being a upgraded turbo car and having a abusive driver (me), I decided to try it instead of always watching the water temp rise and fall and having to worry about detonation and running into limp mode because of it. After the upgrade I had no further issues with rising temps during hot dog session in traffic during the summer. That summer after the coolant upgrade we had a streak of record high temps with the most consecutive 100+ degree days. Temps were constant during that time, the car was a daily driver. Anyone with a ZXTT know the rear cylinders are always the hotter running and having to watch for detonation, to my surprise my issues with high temps and occasional detonation we're gone. The car had no change in cooling system between coolant changes, I had already upgraded to a 3 row all aluminum radiator before any changes.

CTopher

I use the same coolant in my personal vehicles as I use in my heavy commercial vehicles. It has a 1 million mile / 8 year / 20,000 hour service life and is roughly the same price as anything else on the shelf. I considered EWC some years ago, but never pursued doing it. Probably never will.

Interesting thread. I'll chime in as I (we) do have experience with this:

- My Father had a 1972 Ford Pantera which he sold almost a decade ago. He had this while I was growing up so it had been in the family since the early 1980's. (I miss the car but it helped fund his retirement.) Since day one this car had always had issues with overheating. He managed to work with it but when we took it out we stayed out of traffic and did our best to keep the car moving. He retired in 2004 and about that same time he removed the engine to have some work done to it and to clean it. While it was out he decided to clean out the cooling system and replace the long coolant hoses on the bottom of the car. He also brought the radiator to a shop to have it cleaned and pressure checked. The rad shop owner convinced him to switch to using a water-less coolant. He upgraded to a multi core aluminum radiator and upgraded the fan. When he replaced the engine he used Evans. It never overheated again. He could sit all day long and the engine would never overheat and never did it boil over.

Personally I think this is a poorly marketed product... I also don't think people really understand what the purpose and proper use of water-less coolants are. When people try it I don't think they are properly flushing out the water from their system which negates the benefits of using it. This is however an excellent product for those who have older "hot rods" and classic cars that have a tendency to sit for long periods of time. With no water it slows the corrosion rate way down and lets parts live longer.

My 2 cents...

Originally Posted by 2004WJ
Interesting thread. I'll chime in as I (we) do have experience with this:

Personally I think this is a poorly marketed product... I also don't think people really understand what the purpose and proper use of water-less coolants are. When people try it I don't think they are properly flushing out the water from their system which negates the benefits of using it. This is however an excellent product for those who have older "hot rods" and classic cars that have a tendency to sit for long periods of time. With no water it slows the corrosion rate way down and lets parts live longer.

My 2 cents...

Agree about not taking proper steps to flush system. When I upgraded to EWC in the 300ZXTT I had previously upgraded the radiator but pulled the engine for larger turbos, manifold and injectors. When the engine was out it was flushed of all coolant, the radiator and heater cores were also flushed and allowed to dry for a couple of weeks. I don't remember the exact reading from the test strip after installing but it was negligible. I believe this is the best/proper way to gain full benefits of the change over.

CTopher

Back