Range Rover 5.0 oil & BG MOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes me nervous to put in additives when "the experts" say things like: "Additives are combined into well-balanced, optimized packages allowing lubricants to meet specified performance criteria in a finished fluid."

https://www.stle.org/images/pdf/STL...unction%20of%20Lubricant%20Additives.pdf
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5262512/a-review-of-engine-oil-additives

You could use a Jaguar-LandRover approved 0w20, which also carries the highest performance 0w20 spec there is on planet earth, seriously, the VW 508 tests, the same my '19 Tiguan gets:
https://www.mobil.com/en-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GL-XX-Mobil-1-ESP-x2-0W20
A little hard to find. When I need it later I'll probably have to order it from SunCoastParts.com unless somebody starts to carry it.

Last edited:
Altering the additive chemistry causes the oil to no longer carry any specification, approval or license that the oil was documented to meet.

Originally Posted by paoester
Makes me nervous to put in additives when "the experts" say things like: "Additives are combined into well-balanced, optimized packages allowing lubricants to meet specified performance criteria in a finished fluid."

https://www.stle.org/images/pdf/STL...unction%20of%20Lubricant%20Additives.pdf
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5262512/a-review-of-engine-oil-additives

You could use a Jaguar-LandRover approved 0w20, which also carries the highest performance 0w20 spec there is on planet earth, seriously, the VW 508 tests, the same my '19 Tiguan gets:
https://www.mobil.com/en-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GL-XX-Mobil-1-ESP-x2-0W20
A little hard to find. When I need it later I'll probably have to order it from SunCoastParts.com unless somebody starts to carry it.

good bit of reading for me there, ha! my rover falls under STJLR.03.5004 . 5w20 but, I just use any 5w20 like the Amsoil which is fine.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Altering the additive chemistry causes the oil to no longer carry any specification, approval or license that the oil was documented to meet.

Yeah, its funny because they use BG MOA at a bunch of dealerships and indie shops and BG stats it will NOT void any manufacture warranty... no idea.

Originally Posted by xmreeves

Yeah, its funny because they use BG MOA at a bunch of dealerships and indie shops and BG stats it will NOT void any manufacture warranty... no idea.

That's because the M-M warranty Act affords you the right to use whatever oil you want. That however does not mean the car mfg has to fix any damages that may arise directly from your use of additives. The deets' are a little more "complex" than that but that's the spirit of the Act. Fwiw..today's oils, dino and synthetics, are so good that lubricant related engine failures are rare. You practically have to be committed to abuse to grenade a modern engine.

Last edited:

Yes they might use it, and although an owner's manual may state that additives are neither recommended nor required I doubt there are many that state that the vehicle warranty is voided if you do use them. However, what I stated is correct because an oil's approval, certification or licensing is predicated on the specific additive formulation used by the blender. Once you start changing the formulation you become the blender, not the manufacturer.

This is how I see it … I'd even run a non approved API spec before I'd toss in something that might actually "compete" with my lube company formulation.
I have a friend who brings Delvac 1 to the Ford dealer …
they tell him it's not on the list as he pours coffee and they pour D1 ...®

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

That's because the M-M warranty Act affords you the right to use whatever oil you want. That however does not mean the car mfg has to fix any damages that may arise directly from your use of additives. The deets' are a little more "complex" than that but that's the spirit of the Act. Fwiw..today's oils, dino and synthetics, are so good that lubricant related engine failures are rare. You practically have to be committed to abuse to grenade a modern engine.

Right, but if the dealership is using MOA and engine issues came up, you bet they are fixing it and NOT saying "no" because of a product THEY added to each oil change, no way they could argue that one.

Yes they might use it, and although an owner's manual may state that additives are neither recommended nor required I doubt there are many that state that the vehicle warranty is voided if you do use them. However, what I stated is correct because an oil's approval, certification or licensing is predicated on the specific additive formulation used by the blender. Once you start changing the formulation you become the blender, not the manufacturer.

I blend my own protein shakes...and they turn out amazing!
smile.gif
but yes, I totally agree

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Is this stuff just Lucas or Slick 50?

Neither.

If its the non supercharged 5.0 i'd sleep very well at night with just Mobil 1 0w20 or 5w20 in it. My personal opinion on these is that it is more important to have a decent oil (Mobil 1) changed more often than whatever Jauguar/Landrover recommends along with its long OCI. So i would do at the most 5,000 miles on the mobil 1 and hope for the best on the timing chain parts.

Originally Posted by dareo
If its the non supercharged 5.0 i'd sleep very well at night with just Mobil 1 0w20 or 5w20 in it. My personal opinion on these is that it is more important to have a decent oil (Mobil 1) changed more often than whatever Jauguar/Landrover recommends along with its long OCI. So i would do at the most 5,000 miles on the mobil 1 and hope for the best on the timing chain parts.

Chains, guides & tensioners were all replaced 2k ago
smile.gif
good to go there, like a new engine. I do change every 5k also. always have , always will.

smile.gif
good to go there, like a new engine. I do change every 5k also. always have , always will.

The originals only lasted 83K?

smile.gif

The originals only lasted 83K?

yes, it was a known issue in the 5.0 engines.

Former Land Rover technician here with 14yrs of experience on Land Rover. I do not have an opinion on the MOA products, we used them but purely for additional profit.

You are playing with fire not using the factory pour Castrol. Your 5.0L is extremely prone to timing chain tensioner failure. Most of the failures were caused by prolonged service intervals and people using sub-par oil. Your doing the right thing changing your oil at shorter intervals than the 15k recommend by Land Rover. In the 5.0L I highly recommend using Castrol Edge oil and just play it safe skipping any additives.

Amsoil SS used at that 5k interval will definitely keep that engine clean. Amsoil has a very stout additive package! Definitely no need to add MOA.

Cheapest Dexos are not the best cleaners. Read the major brand oil jug labels for best product descriptions and results. Cheap house brands offer little-or-none cleaning verbage. A clear indicator of subpar results, if such wording is missing.

If you or I owned any of these house-brand oils and our product cleaned the engine sufficiently, we would gladly mention it on the jug label, to boost profitability. Buy oils that exceed cleaning specs. Not those that only meet the specs. Reduction is what most of us seek. Of the mid-priced, Mobil-1, Castrol and Pennzoil exceed.

All Oils labeled SN Plus and Dexos 1 Gen 2 are NOT all the same in performance, protection and cleaning ability.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back