Siphoning Fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I have a car that I take out to the track and I need to siphon the fuel out on a regular basis (few times a year).

I have access to the fuel tank via the cabin (rear seat bench is missing so I can open the level sensor access hole).

What I need to do is transfer the fuel into a jerrycan, which I then transfer into my daily driver.

What is the best/easiest way for me to set something like this up?
I was thinking some kind of pump that will work off of the 12v supply?

Ease and safety are the priority for me.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

On my GM cars, I can remove the hose at the fuel filter with a quick disconnect fitting, and then jump the fuel pump relay to have the petrol pumped out of the tank.

Maybe something similar is possible for you. As most cars these days have elaborate anti-siphoning devices (mostly in the name of emissions control) that prevent the traditional "hose down the filler" from working.

Thanks everyone,

As per the first post, I have access to the fuel tank via the fuel level sensor, I just need a device that will transfer the fuel from the tank to the jerrycan.

I do not want to disconnect any fuel fittings to do this, mostly as I am concerned that it may come off one day and the car will burn.

That right there is what used to be called an Oklahoma credit card. My old boss whipped 2 dudes for over a block after catching them siphoning gas in our alley. Saw both of them at the mini mart the next day and it wasn't pretty. End of problem.

Get a cheap 12v electric fuel pump. Attach a 10' to 15' long 16 gauge 2 conductor zip-wire to it with an inline switch, a 10-15 amp inline fuse, and alligator clips on the end. You could also mount a "T" in the fuel line somewhere so you don't even have to remove the fuel level sensor from the tank (plus, this would be the safest way to do it, I have been doing this to my collector cars for years).

On a race car you could remove the EPA nozzle door and the anti fuel theft baffle from the filler neck, so you can then pass a hose down the fill pipe.

Last edited:
I just did this on my boat to drain and measure fuel capacity.
I used a 12 volt electric fuel pump mounted to a wood board. It was cheap. Ran 2 leads to a battery about 15 feet away to keep away from ignition source.
A copper pipe with a barbed connection fitting attached to the pipe went into the tank.
clear plastic tubing from the barbed fitting to the pump and another length of hose from the pump to collection container. When putting it back in, I used a cheap inline filter to filter the fuel as it was being sucked out from the collection container.
Here is a link to a video. The video shows from the collection bucket to the tank (the reverse of the pump flow)

Draining Boat Fuel Dank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back