Mopar OAT alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by WillB
My coolant flush will be done by the local shop, they use a flush machine, do a thorough flush.

In that case....they will probably use what the vehicle came with from the factory.

Originally Posted by Warstud
My coolant flush will be done by the local shop, they use a flush machine, do a thorough flush.

In that case....they will probably use what the vehicle came with from the factory.

Not necessarily - when I had my 04 Sierra done they replaced the Dex with a different brand, was a lime green.

That would be a very smart move, greatly reducing the risks of a problem in the event there is some of the old coolant remaining. There were problems just topping up recovery tanks during PDI with a cup of OAT in an HOAT system, or vice versa.

Not necessarily - when I had my 04 Sierra done they replaced the Dex with a different brand, was a lime green.

Most generic "AMAM" coolants - most of which are basically a variant of DexCool - are a lime-green color. You sure you want this shop doing your flush when it seems likely they just use whatever generic coolant they choose?

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Uh oh, I topped my wife's Jeep off with Prestone "All Makes" premix. It's a light green or yellow color. Is that OK?

If it's a newer Jeep, a small amount of Prestone AMAM with or without Cor-Guard shouldn't hurt. If you added more, there might a concern with incompatibility. The OAT part will be fine, but it's the secondary additives that might pose a risk.

Is it a newer Jeep with purple coolant? Or older with pink coolant?

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by Silverado12
Uh oh, I topped my wife's Jeep off with Prestone "All Makes" premix. It's a light green or yellow color. Is that OK?

If it's a newer Jeep, a small amount of Prestone AMAM with or without Cor-Guard shouldn't hurt. If you added more, there might a concern with incompatibility. The OAT part will be fine, but it's the secondary additives that might pose a risk.

Is it a newer Jeep with purple coolant? Or older with pink coolant?

It is a 2016 with the 10 year OAT coolant.

Originally Posted by SirTanon

Most generic "AMAM" coolants - most of which are basically a variant of DexCool - are a lime-green color. You sure you want this shop doing your flush when it seems likely they just use whatever generic coolant they choose?

I want nothing to do with Giving FCA any more money for over priced coolant. A jug of 10 year OAT premix cost me $45 after tax, a jug of pure is $60.

The shop in question will completely flush the mopar crap out and replace it with a top quality (more resdily available) coolant that meets or exceeds spec.

I want nothing to do with Giving FCA any more money for over priced coolant. A jug of 10 year OAT premix cost me $45 after tax, a jug of pure is $60.

The shop in question will completely flush the mopar crap out and replace it with a top quality (more resdily available) coolant that meets or exceeds spec.

I paid under $25 for genuine Mopar OAT full strength coolant shipped to the house. For a $1.29 for a gallon of distilled water I have two gallons of the correct 50/50 mix coolant. That gives me zero worries and zero doubt about the possibility of coolant incompatibility issues, or a shop screwing up my cooling system by either not properly flushing out all the old coolant, not bleeding it right, or other potential problems. With all the stories we read of shops screwing up a simple oil change, I'd rather not let them have a shot at screwing up my cooling system. But as the saying goes, do what you think is best.

Your probably right...don't assume some will always use the right fluids

Your probably right...don't assume some will always use the right fluids

It was the right fluid - it was a Dex equivulent.

Thanks. Let's remove OAT from the equation, what would you recommend? Dont want to have to flush every other year.

No need to if you use a quality coolant. I use the same coolant in my personal vehicles that I use in my heavy commercial vehicles. It is an OAT coolant that has a 1 million mile / 8 year / 20,000 hour service life, whichever comes first. It meets current CAT, Detroit, Cummins, Mack/Volvo, MAN, Mercedes, ASTM D6210 and D3306. Deutz, Navistar, and Paccar specs. I have confirmed with their tech support folks that it is an all fleet coolant that can be used in any automotive gasoline engine also. Also, it is cost competitive with most any other coolant on the shelf.

It is the Peak Global Final Charge ELC coolant.

https://www.peakhd.com/wp-content/u...ncentrate-Red_Spec-Sheet_2019.pdf?x38462

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back