Front Suspension Work: The Death of a Vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by walterjay
A good shop can restore your suspension and alignment to as good as new. You just have to find the right guys.

Needle in the haystack for many consumers today. Fact is that finding COMPETENT service is very difficult today in most areas of the USA.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Originally Posted by CrackyWainwright
the owner has already paid a shop $1,000 for new front end parts and labor, and the car or truck STILL won't hold an alignment. A vehicle that eats up tires every few months is one that will be sold or traded very soon.

Same shop that killed your V6 Accord with the snapped timing belt?
Yikes! Lol!

Yes, bring in the coupon for the the 1/2 off alignment and drive away with $2000 worth of ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends and new muffler bearings.
laugh.gif

In 'Bama it's only the death of the vehicle if something breaks to the point of being undrivable.

I've had a hard time finding good aftermarket control arms/ball joints for my 02 Ranger, but not to the point I want to ditch the truck.

Just from reading years of this forum, one can gather that finding correct and quality suspension parts + finding someone who knows how to install them properly is usually a difficult process.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
In 'Bama it's only the death of the vehicle if something breaks to the point of being undrivable.

I've had a hard time finding good aftermarket control arms/ball joints for my 02 Ranger, but not to the point I want to ditch the truck.

That's pretty much true in many areas of the country today. Many people just can't afford to buy another car new or used, and many can't afford the price to repair either, even if you can find a competent shop to do the work.

Drive em till the wheels fall off. I agree.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by cb_13
It is hard to find a good alignment technician. Most shops just want to do a toe and go collect your minimum alignment fee and not bother with the hassle of installing caster sleeves, camber bushings or whatever additional work might be needed. Although some of that can be due to not wanting to explain that the work is in addition to the standard alignment fee.

All the times I've taken cars into Sears, Big O or Firestone for alignments I've always gotten a explanation for extra parts or labor if cam bolts or shims needed to be installed. But no one does caster, just camber and toe.

On many cars, you CANNOT adjust caster (or camber). The only thing adjustable is toe.

So far I found franchised shop with techs that don't care to be the worst. Mom and pop will try their best to do what I ask (i.e. a camber kit to make the factory spec less aggressive to preserve tire life), and they will not leave the work half done (i.e. did not even align it) and tell you to come back another day when the parts come. I've also heard horror story about mom and pop but it all depends on the owners. The big franchise is good at protecting itself from lawsuits, that's about it.

you need to find an old school shop who does trucks with gauges and a pit. i took my honda's there because the lowered vehicles always freak out the shops who use the computers. they also replaced almost an entire front suspension on an 03 f150 and it was awesome--i bought all moog parts and they installed for iirc under $500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back